BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Battery warning problems

Just got into the car to be informed that the battery level is very low and that non essential electrical systems have been turned off. It told me to drive to recharge the battery or get it recharged. I ve only done 3500 miles so i hve no idea whats going on. Took the car out for 30 minutes of motorway driving, this appears to hve done nothing. Anyone else had this problem
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Worth getting it checked, they might have done something wrong when they sorted the nav screen?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Worth getting it checked, they might have done something wrong when they sorted the nav screen?
May well be something to do with nav change. Even the bloody wing mirrors dont fold out when iunlock the car
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Maybe check the voltage with a voltmeter plugged into the cig lighter. See some of Lotus's posts on expected results. Interesting that should get a specific error telling you that your charge is low whereas my recent "OMG! Stop driving and take the car to the dealer, 4x4 critical error" message was explained by BMW as a low battery, just needs charging to fix. Hmmmm...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

The warning was still on this morning. It says Battery discharging whilst stationary. Battery Level very Low. Drive to increase charge or recharge battery. All non essential electrical systems deactivated.

I have nothing plug into the sockets of the car, I double checked last night, I drove 10 miles on the motorway this morning and lastnight and the this appears to have done little. Will phone the dealers later.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

I had exactly the same but only occurred on one occasion.
Dealer could not find anything wrong.
My big concern - which the the dealer could not answer : is the alarm system regarded as non essential?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Modern BMW's are very sensitive to low charge batteries.
This is a problem for people that do a lot of low mileage driving because the battery never gets charged much.

Discharged batteries cause all sorts of strange problems and messages

A bad battery can do the same. Unfortunately it happens now and then that you get a bad one.
The dealers have testing equipment to check the battery health.

I have found a good quality electronically controlled charger like a Ctek charger ( BMW even sell them under their own brand) to be a good investment to ensure battery health