BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #2289
Mdr10
Rep
Drives: Deciding...

Thanks for your comments. Some food for thought.

I've been down the route of taking BMW finance before to get a discount, but as you say, due to the way interest is front loaded, paying it off immediately erodes any discount.

Regarding at what stage I was at when the dealer was reluctant to offer anything, admittedly it was fairly early - getting the part ex agreed. I will probably be in a position to do something next weekend so will be interesting to see what offer I can get.

Unfortunately drivethedeal no longer appear to do BMW. Anyone know of an alternative site?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #2290
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdr10 View Post
Thanks for your comments. Some food for thought.

I've been down the route of taking BMW finance before to get a discount, but as you say, due to the way interest is front loaded, paying it off immediately erodes any discount.

Regarding at what stage I was at when the dealer was reluctant to offer anything, admittedly it was fairly early - getting the part ex agreed. I will probably be in a position to do something next weekend so will be interesting to see what offer I can get.

Unfortunately drivethedeal no longer appear to do BMW. Anyone know of an alternative site?
Unless there's a real need I wouldn't use part-ex. My BMW dealer offered £13k part-ex for my car (non-BMW). I sold it privately for £16k cash. Part-ex is easy, but there is a cost for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #2291
5mph
Rep
Drives: X3

Discount etc

I got 8% discount in total on 20dSE with quite a lot of extras.
Broadspeed gives a useful starting point for prices but it doesnt take into account extras which it use to. And these must have huge profit margins.

Comments on extras if it helps:

Panoramic Roof - always gone for this, and my wife has on her minis, light and airy feeling, otherwise feels claustrophic and dark

Auto - didnt on last X3 because not available with diesel then, but always had with 3 series estates before.

Visibility pack - adaptive headlamps are good for country lanes, headlamp assist works surprisingly well.

Servotronic sterring - had before since needed to lighten steering, missed it when in other cars.

Professional Media - rip off but needed SatNav. The Business version seems major rip off, so I would either get Professional or not at all. No speed cameras, map colours no very good, clunky controls.

Reverse Camera & Top view - Top view not that useful, but wasnt that much extra. Annoying Front sensor doesnt come on automatically, I am sure it did in my last X3.

Speed limit display - impressive software, OK for price.

With hindsight would have got Comfort access only because its a nuisance pulling key out to open doors then remembering to put in pocket and not have it fall between seats etc.

Didnt get run flats because ride felt much better without but if I have a puncture bet I will regret. Dont mind not having Spare Wheel, on last X3 couldnt get a wheel off when I had a puncture because alloy or wheel had "welded" to steel of brake housing, garage had to use sledge on it - which I couldnt do with the car up on a BMW jack.

Beige - prefer a light inside, black shows up all marks and stuff, beige surprisingly is OK. But not beige in boot. I dont like BMW interiors where its part one colour and part black.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #2292
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Unless there's a real need I wouldn't use part-ex. My BMW dealer offered £13k part-ex for my car (non-BMW). I sold it privately for £16k cash. Part-ex is easy, but there is a cost for it.
I used to think like this too but it's worth seeing what book price they will give you. I part-ex'd my Golf GTI which had a lot of negatives like broken aircon (£600 quoted to fix), damaged boot, scratches, internal damage, and I would struggle to even say it was near "good condition" - it was also imported (saving £4,500 off list). Parkers price for "excellent" condition private sale was £8,500, BMW offered £7,500 and I nearly bit their hand off. Webuyanycar (always a total rip off) quoted £5,500! They don't spend any time looking at it and just pass it on to an auction. Good way to bury an old car with lots of issues

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #2293
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They'll always say no discount, or a ridiculously low discount initially because occasionally they'll get someone who just agrees straight away. Also watch for "fantasy discounts" where they include free stuff at inflated prices like wax preparation for £300.

Quote:
Broadspeed. I haven't used them but I've heard of them. Claiming 8.4% discount for M Sport Auto 20d for example

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/X3

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #2294
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I should add that it's one thing getting a quote from these guys and using it as a bargaining chip, it's quite another ordering from them. There have been at least 3 reports on this forum of people who have ordered X3s and waited 4 months + only to be told that the broker can't fulfil the order. You get your deposit back but you can't get the wait time back.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #2295
Mdr10
Rep

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Agreed on the part-exchange usually being another opportunity for a car dealer to rip you off, but the price they gave me for my X5 seemed pretty good, enough to merit avoiding the hassle of selling it privately anyway.

I saw the broadspeed site but it doesn't allow for extras which is what made drivethedeal so handy. I remember getting a decent discount on a 535 using that...

So it sounds like I should aim for 8% which is around £4k - which is a long way from the zero room of his initial position. I can just walk away and do nothing, so should be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2296
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So it sounds like I should aim for 8% which is around £4k - which is a long way from the zero room of his initial position. I can just walk away and do nothing, so should be interesting.
Aim for more then come down, ask for 10% and settle for 8%.
At my local BMW dealer- once they know you are serious and are in the position to do the deal that day they will bring out a 'Business Manager'. The Business Manager has the software tools to work out their margin for any sale. Mention you've done your research and you get can get what you want for £xxxxx- BUT you want to give the business to the local dealer.

Get the 5 year service deal for £350 included!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #2297
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Anyone else got one on order? I'm only 11 days after ordering and its completely driving me mad !

Been told mid January'ish so about 8 weeks in total. Don't know how a lot of you guys managed to wait the time that you did.

I'm winding myself up more by reading the threads on this forum where the vast majority of you guys wax lyrical about how great their new motor is.

Any other feedback on recent timescales? Does Spartenburg shut down for Christmas hols or is it a 24/7 plant? Cheers!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #2298
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

8 weeks? Try 10 mths for some of us!!!

Best of luck, just think of the positives- have less time to ponder over what other options to add!
      11-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2299
amcintosh
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
Anyone else got one on order?
I ordered on 12th September and was advised early November delivery. I was told a week later it would be early December delivery.

Car was built 2nd week in November and I have not yet had confirmation from the dealer that it is on a ship. I have only been told the build is complete and that it is quayside awaiting loading.

The dealer is still quoting week commencing 10th December for delivery to them, but it would need to be half way across the Atlantic by now.

The wait is driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #2300
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcintosh View Post
I ordered on 12th September and was advised early November delivery. I was told a week later it would be early December delivery.

Car was built 2nd week in November and I have not yet had confirmation from the dealer that it is on a ship. I have only been told the build is complete and that it is quayside awaiting loading.

The dealer is still quoting week commencing 10th December for delivery to them, but it would need to be half way across the Atlantic by now.

The wait is driving me nuts.
If it was built 2nd week Nov, 10 Dec is about right. It used to be start of production to delivery = ~6 weeks

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:21 AM   #2301
amcintosh
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto

I just got good news, dealer has confirmed the ship that the car is on and a bit of internet searching found that it has just left Bremerhaven heading to Southampton, should arrive there tomorrow evening.

It is a "K" Line America Inc cargo ship rather than Wallenius Wilhelmsen.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #2302
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcintosh View Post
I just got good news, dealer has confirmed the ship that the car is on and a bit of internet searching found that it has just left Bremerhaven heading to Southampton, should arrive there tomorrow evening.

It is a "K" Line America Inc cargo ship rather than Wallenius Wilhelmsen.
Congrats! Looks as if you will have a slippage of about 1 month from original program date. Nice time to get it.

If the 6 weeks is still accurate, my build would have to commence next week (assuming everything doesn't shut down for Xmas). Will pester the dealer next week!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2303
Mdr10
Rep

Ordered ours today. Spec:
M sport 3.0 carbon black.
Too many extras than makes sense!
Professional nav
Access pack
Electric seats
Heated seats
Sunroof
Extended storage
Xenon lights
Rear camera with vertical view
Folding mirrors
VDC

Got just under 9% discount - thanks again for advice on what to aim for everyone. Was a little sad to see the x5 go, it's not a bad car and if the sat nav and I drive weren't terribly dated I would have probably held onto it.
Delivery expected in mid feb apparently. Now the x5 is gone I have to hope we don't have snow as we're left with a Mini Cooper s conv and GTR which aren't the most practical! Saying that the x5 was pretty pants in the ice..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2304
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Yay - my impatience got the better of me and I phoned the dealer last friday - status 5055!

At 5200 this morning, BMW customer services told me that the dealer should expect delivery on 3rd Jan.. Not holding my breath on this but I'm pleasantly surprised at the pace of the order to date.

Here's hoping that everyone else with an order in progress gets a short lead time too.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #2305
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mph View Post
Visibility pack - adaptive headlamps are good for country lanes, headlamp assist works surprisingly well.

Didnt get run flats because ride felt much better without but if I have a puncture bet I will regret. Dont mind not having Spare Wheel, on last X3 couldnt get a wheel off when I had a puncture because alloy or wheel had "welded" to steel of brake housing, garage had to use sledge on it - which I couldnt do with the car up on a BMW jack.
Adaptive headlights only swivel up to a set speed, I think it's approx 40mph. So not much help when pushing on but very good at low speed particularly where there are no street lights.

You can buy a plug kit, tyre sealant and a compressor and store it in the boot for peace of mind.

With regards to the wheel being effectively welded to the hubs. Did you use BMW for servicing? They don't bother to remove wheels as part of a service and this is the result. Most good independents do remove wheels as a matter of course to prevent.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2306
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Saying that the x5 was pretty pants in the ice..
This was probably down to the tyres. Were you running winter or summer tyres?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #2307
5mph
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post

With regards to the wheel being effectively welded to the hubs. Did you use BMW for servicing? They don't bother to remove wheels as part of a service and this is the result. Most good independents do remove wheels as a matter of course to prevent.
Yes always used BMW. Thats interesting, I didnt know that, thanks for letting me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #2308
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

To BMW PCP or not?

Hi - has anyone got any experience of this please....?

I'm debating my options, but basically want to pay as little as possible in the way of interest charges. If I take the PCP, my intention is to pay a 40% deposit (maximum allowed). Over a 2yr period, I'll have 23 x £262 a month + the GFV / balloon payment of nearly £21k to pay. This will be front end loaded with the APR @7.5% with interest of ~£3.3k.

The Dealer Business Mgr. and Sales guy both say that I'll be able to pay off chunks (without penalty) of the outstanding balance to reduce the term and the impression i get is that the interest is calculated on a daily basis, therefore the theory is that I'll reduce the interest loading if i pay off some big chunks of the balance early on. Though it appears that this doesn't happen that often for them to have much experience. The BMW UK site does not cover this scenario or anything close to it.

Has anyone done this with the PCP? If so, how did it pan out in practice?

Must add that i have no intention of changing the car after 2 years. I'm thinking about a (3 Yr) personal loan (at 5.4% APR) will be the cleanest method, but not necessarily the cheaper in terms of interest paid. (If i wanted to pay off extra - these payments would attract a penalty)

Also - got all the excel calculators thanks!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #2309
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
Hi - has anyone got any experience of this please....?

I'm debating my options, but basically want to pay as little as possible in the way of interest charges. If I take the PCP, my intention is to pay a 40% deposit (maximum allowed). Over a 2yr period, I'll have 23 x £262 a month + the GFV / balloon payment of nearly £21k to pay. This will be front end loaded with the APR @7.5% with interest of ~£3.3k.

The Dealer Business Mgr. and Sales guy both say that I'll be able to pay off chunks (without penalty) of the outstanding balance to reduce the term and the impression i get is that the interest is calculated on a daily basis, therefore the theory is that I'll reduce the interest loading if i pay off some big chunks of the balance early on. Though it appears that this doesn't happen that often for them to have much experience. The BMW UK site does not cover this scenario or anything close to it.

Has anyone done this with the PCP? If so, how did it pan out in practice?

Must add that i have no intention of changing the car after 2 years. I'm thinking about a (3 Yr) personal loan (at 5.4% APR) will be the cleanest method, but not necessarily the cheaper in terms of interest paid. (If i wanted to pay off extra - these payments would attract a penalty)

Also - got all the excel calculators thanks!

Cheers
When I looked at the front loading of PCP's, the only way I could get the APR to work in my excel calculator (based on the BMW PCP quote) was to front load the interest and then set the interest rate to 0%. This means that for the first few months of the PCP you are paying interest only BEFORE you even start on paying the capital off. Hence the need for some sort of gap insurance.
I can't see any advantage of paying a PCP off early- you'll have to pay the interest regardless because its part of the loan.
There might be a clause in the PCP contract where they will give you a small nominal sum back for early settlement. I'll try to dig out my agreement later.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #2310
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
When I looked at the front loading of PCP's, the only way I could get the APR to work in my excel calculator (based on the BMW PCP quote) was to front load the interest and then set the interest rate to 0%. This means that for the first few months of the PCP you are paying interest only BEFORE you even start on paying the capital off. Hence the need for some sort of gap insurance.
I can't see any advantage of paying a PCP off early- you'll have to pay the interest regardless because its part of the loan.
There might be a clause in the PCP contract where they will give you a small nominal sum back for early settlement. I'll try to dig out my agreement later.
The BMW Select agreement has some weasely words that say they will reduce the figures for early settlement by 'less any rebate of charges allowable by law'.
What that means in practice is vague. There is law in the UK related this matter- 2004 Early Settlement Regulations. Google it to find the various calculators- but you'll need to 100% check with BMW finance if it applies to their contracts + there are no additional early settlement fees.
Minefield is the word that comes to mind
Appreciate 0