BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
ikovac
Rep
Drives: bmw

F25 2.0d tuning chip installation

Can someone help me with finding the location of the plug where I should install the tuning chip? I can't seem to find it on my 2.0d engine.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Can't help you ikovac but really keen to hear what you're thoughts are when you get hooked up
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovac
Can someone help me with finding the location of the plug where I should install the tuning chip? I can't seem to find it on my 2.0d engine.
Thanks!
Do you mean OBD II port? It will be on the driver side quarter panel, below the power lift gate button.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
ikovac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Do you mean OBD II port? It will be on the driver side quarter panel, below the power lift gate button.
No, this is a plug on the common rail of the diesel engine. It is explained here https://www.tuningkit.de/Easy-Installation-11i.html but I cannot find it on my engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Also very keen to hear how it goes... 99euros makes it look like a bargain so is there a catch?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovac View Post
Thanks!
You need to remove the air cleaner - big plastic central part that also "holds" the oil filler cap Left - held by "lugs" - lift carefully upwards and then should be able to tip it from the firewall forwards to the radiator. Otherwise (also) disconnect the air intake on the R side - you facing firewall - there is also a clip holding some wires/cables Right side(on said plastic rectangular funnel intake) - that can temporarily be "unclipped". Work in broad daylight preferably and with a cool engine. Observe the other recommendations re ignition off for a certain period etc. Note your procedures and reverse them before visiting dealer - i.e get vehicle back to standard. Regards!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
ikovac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan van Zyl View Post
You need to remove the air cleaner - big plastic central part that also "holds" the oil filler cap Left - held by "lugs" - lift carefully upwards and then should be able to tip it from the firewall forwards to the radiator. Otherwise (also) disconnect the air intake on the R side - you facing firewall - there is also a clip holding some wires/cables Right side(on said plastic rectangular funnel intake) - that can temporarily be "unclipped". Work in broad daylight preferably and with a cool engine. Observe the other recommendations re ignition off for a certain period etc. Note your procedures and reverse them before visiting dealer - i.e get vehicle back to standard. Regards!
Thanks a lot! So the whole air intake needs to be removed... I try it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Thanks a lot! So the whole air intake needs to be removed... I try it out.
Correct. Under air intake you will find an "egg-crate" like spongy cover - remove/lift off to expose common rail and injectors; your required plug is to the front and central. Careful with the unclipping and reattachment of plugs - therefor the need for good light and patience. Good luck - not as difficult as it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan van Zyl View Post
Correct. Under air intake you will find an "egg-crate" like spongy cover - remove/lift off to expose common rail and injectors; your required plug is to the front and central. Careful with the unclipping and reattachment of plugs - therefor the need for good light and patience. Good luck - not as difficult as it sounds.
What's the correct way to remove the plug? I tried last night but there was no way it would budge. I pressed down to release the catch but it seemed to be fixed really tight.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
ikovac
Rep

Just to let everyone know (since I started this thread) that I gave up. I would say it is not possible to install the chip on F25 in do-it-yourself fashion. It seems you need serios tools and skill to install it + you need to undo it every time you take your car to service, which makes it unpractical.
So F25 with a common rail tuning chip is a no go.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just to let everyone know (since I started this thread) that I gave up. I would say it is not possible to install the chip on F25 in do-it-yourself fashion. It seems you need serios tools and skill to install it + you need to undo it every time you take your car to service, which makes it unpractical.
At which point did you give up? I got to the stage where I couldn't remove the common-rail plug, but I'm not sure if I was doing it right or not. The sun was starting to go down so I abandoned it and clipped everything back together. I didn't need any special tools to remove any of the parts. It can be a bit unnerving pulling off things like the engine acoustics cover and the filter cartridge, but they do come off with a bit of force. It's just that damn connector at the front of the common-rail. I started to think BMW glued it in place but surely they couldn't do that for servicing reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #12
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

To be fair to tuningkit I ordered one of these for my 207SW and they emailed me and said it took 3 hours to fit. (It was to be a test before I fitted one to my X3).
I asked about the X3 fit and they said it was a quick job, so I would check with them and them before you give up.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
ikovac
Rep

Ok, I may have exaggerated a bit regarding tolls and skills. The point is that I was not able to reach the common rail plug after 1 hour of tinkering with the engine in two tries. It is complicated enough to make it unpractical to remove and re-add when I have to service the car. Not to mention that it needs to go out instantly if I have an accident since it is forbidden by law here to modify your car engine.

I did ask tuningkit about this and they offered a refund. I don't know if this is their policy or if they are aware of F25 difficulties.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

For the X3, now that I know how much force to use to remove parts, I would say it should take around 20-30 mins at an easy pace to get it installed and tied up with cable ties. When you're removing the filter cartridge tray, don't overlook a type of cable holder connector on the right side of it that slides off the tray. I still need to figure out that bloody common rail connector!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh it is possible.. patience.. once you've done it once, then its easy.. the airbox pops off, you then disconnect the hose, lift up slightly, then you will see the connectors on top of the engine.. unplug one of those, connect your cable in and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Oh it is possible.. patience.. once you've done it once, then its easy.. the airbox pops off, you then disconnect the hose, lift up slightly, then you will see the connectors on top of the engine.. unplug one of those, connect your cable in and off you go.
I take it you've accomplished it then Matt?
The connector to remove is the at the front of the common rail, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

So I finally managed to remove the connector from the front of the common rail. Oh sweet Jesus. I need new fingers. It's a bitch to get off. I ended up having to use the foam coated handle of a small pair of pliers to keep it fully pressed in while I pulled it free. Keep a good hold of any object you use around the engine bay as you don't want it falling in. Anyway, my RaceChip is all hooked up now. First impressions are that Normal now kinda feels like Sport and Sport is a bit spritelier. I was still looking for a bit more pull from 3rd and 4th gears so I'm waiting to hear back from RaceChip for the best settings to use to achieve that.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Is this tuning add on only available for the 2.0d- or is there a version for 3.0 3.5d- and the petrol models?
I presume it invalidates the warrenty and affects the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
Oh sweet Jesus. I need new fingers.
(well done BTW )

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Is this tuning add on only available for the 2.0d- or is there a version for 3.0 3.5d- and the petrol models?
I presume it invalidates the warrenty and affects the insurance.
I think the general consensus on insurance is that you either declare it and if they agree to keep insuring you, you might take a hit on your premium, or you don't declare it and run the risk of them not paying out if you need to claim and they investigate and find it or its effects. The car records a lot of diagnostic info so in theory BMW could tell via OBD readouts if some parameters were out of expected range. Therefore, an insurance company could access that same info. Would they or have they ever done in this in practice and managed to invalidate a claim. No idea.

Warranty is slightly different. Take it off before you take it in for a service or repair and you'll probably get away with it but they could refuse to cover you for warranty repair work if they could prove that the repair was needed as a result of the car being chipped. I don't think they just blindly refuse all warranty work if they suspect the car is chipped.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Insurance depends on how much power increase you get. I forget the exact number, but if it is under for example a 20% increase, then they do not need to know. I checked. Most of the ones in the UK seem to all tune upto that amount to avoid you having to do it.

Personally, I would not install a chip / box without informing insurance or at least checking.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Insurance depends on how much power increase you get. I forget the exact number, but if it is under for example a 20% increase, then they do not need to know. I checked. Most of the ones in the UK seem to all tune upto that amount to avoid you having to do it.

Personally, I would not install a chip / box without informing insurance or at least checking.
Would be very useful to see a reference for that?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0