BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Trailer Hitch?

Just picked up a 15' X3 28i xDrive for my wife and we need to be able to tow a small-ish trailer. I about fell over when the dealer said they put on on for $2000! Some quick searching on the net turns up hitches (receivers) between about $180 - 700.

So what are you all using? What wiring kit(s) are actually required? We just need lights, we dont have electric brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Paul_R_Canada
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: MB 2013 GLK250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
Just picked up a 15' X3 28i xDrive for my wife and we need to be able to tow a small-ish trailer. I about fell over when the dealer said they put on on for $2000! Some quick searching on the net turns up hitches (receivers) between about $180 - 700.

So what are you all using? What wiring kit(s) are actually required? We just need lights, we dont have electric brakes.
Look to get an oem kit with the wiring (plug and play connectors) and direct bolt on receiver, like this https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

Yeah , you need to be holding your wallet when the dealer tells you the price, i was quoted a low of 1500 and high of 2700 dealers must think were totally daft...

Last edited by Paul_R_Canada; 03-01-2015 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Fat fingers...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Here is my Invisihitch Trailer Hitch that I put in as a DIY installation.

This uses OEM electrical connections and remote programming to enable the new trailer controller module.

This gets my recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Wow Wingless thank you for the link to your post, super detailed. You think the average DIY'er can pull of the install? If you don't mind, what was the cost for the hitch and wiring? What do you think of some of the lesser options from brand like Curt?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Yes, this is a DIY job.

My topic identifies all the difficulties, not too bad at all.

This was a Sunday afternoon job.

They only sell the hitch and wiring together as a package. Call them to get a quotation.

The wiring is what led me to this package, but now that I have it I REALLY like NOT having a 2" square receiver. The 2" square receiver and the ball carrier (like the Curt) ALWAYS clunks when the trailer is unloaded. This is a drawn tight tapered connection w/ NO PLAY, NO NOISE.

It is very nice to have a hidden hitch.

The Curt hitch is nice, but that wiring is inferior.

The Invisihitch has the advanced wiring solution I used, plus the regular solution, like w/ Curt.
Appreciate 0