BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
yv27
Rep
Drives: x3 M

alternative for Goodyear Eagle LS2 All-Seasons on 19" 309

I got 2011 x3 35i M package with Goodyear Eagle LS2 All-Seasons on 19" 309 style rims. Wanted to get an opinion on what are the alternatives for the tires for all season (either run flats or regular) and which rims would you recommend ( heard that 309 might not take well pot holes).

I am just thinking of selling my existing set and getting something else either Run flats with different brand or just regular.

I found that i can buy insurance for rims/tires for $900 which can be a great investment considering that original equipment ( Goodyear Eagle LS2 All-Seasons on 19" 309 stile rims) will cost $4300 if I were to replace it at the BMW Dealership.

Also, if i were to get all 4 tires the same size (not to keep staggered), would it be an issue? I think of having front and rear different size might be a pain to maintain them.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you!

Greg
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep
Drives: A hertz rental car

I am currently going through the same exercise and searching for options.

Regarding tires, as long as you are picking the same diameter tires, staggered or not doesn't matter as long as you have the proper width rims. So 245/45-19f and 275/40-19 R or 245/45 all round should work equally well.

Here are some available tires (mods, I hope it's okay to link to the tirerack). I personally don't have experience all season tires as I've only been using summer (dry/wet) tires. Lots of info in the tests in the link below, however, I will caution you from personal experience is that the tests is a barometer for how the tires perform when new. Some characteristics change as a tire ages, specifically, some tires become relatively noisier as they age and I suspect wet performance might degrade at different rates based on compound mix. When referring to reviews, always take that with a pinch of salt. Some are entertaining as There are some people who do their reviews like they are the 'Rambos' of the driving world. I always sort the reviews from lowest ranking to highest so I get a feel for some of the issues a tire might have.

If you are looking for only run flats, your selection will be limited. Me I personally run with a pump and patch kit in my trunk and pick the tires I like.

Link below.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=57752&tab=All

Last edited by lukeeesteve; 06-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: My iPhone drops letters.(I have fat thumbs)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
yv27
Rep
Drives: x3 M

Thank you. The problem is that I would need to either buy all new set of rims/tires for all 4 or sell the rear ones and buy 2 new for the rear. Either way, I think I am screwed
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you decide to change then I would be interested in buying your 19x8.5 wheels. I plan to keep the Goodyear LS-2s for winter use and buy a set of max performance summer tires to mount on a set of the same 309 19x8.5 wheels for continuing coverage under the BMW tire and wheel protection that will cover any 245/45R19 run flat tire but only BMW approved wheels, notwithstanding the contract language. Only three summer max performance RFT models, one each from Continental, Dunlop, and Pirelli, are available.
Appreciate 0