BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Decisions Decisions

Has some bad news today about my next X3, dealer has advised that it has arrived but not as spec - it is missing the LED Headlamps . It has adaptive xenons with led foglamps in place. Dealer is currently arguing with BMW that it has been incorrectly built but BMW are saying spec options changed and the error is with them.

My options
1) Refuse the vehicle (albeit mine goes back in 8 weeks) then have the hassle of paying more when the VED goes up April 1st
2) Accept the vehicle and save approx £600 off the lease over 3 years, dealer will fill the tank and trailer deliver the vehicle to my door and will also offer accessory or something else as way of compensation

I am thinking option 2 and perhaps asking them to cover the service pack, really wanted the LED headlamps as they set off the X3 nicely but its not the end of the world - would have been really annoyed if it was the wrong colour!!!
      01-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50d

Actualy it may be a blessing in disguise as there have been forum post talking about problems with premature failure of LED headlights and to fix you have to change the entire light unit ! It wont be a problem if you only keep the car a short while and the "adaptive xenons" are very good but cant do the matrix trick of shadowing the approaching car .
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

I'd go for the second option.

After I ordered mine in September I had a change of heart and contacted the dealer to change my adaptive xenons to adaptive LEDs, but unfortunately I was too late as the spec was locked. I was disappointed at first, but having picked the car up it doesn't really bother me. The important thing is that it has the adaptive functionality so the full beam can still be on with a car coming towards you, but because the light moves, it doesn't dazzle the other driver. They're fantastic and once you've had a car with them, you wouldn't want to go back.

My M4 has adaptive LEDs and whilst I won't deny they're better, I'm not sure they're needed in the X3, especially as you'll be £600 better off if you go for the xenons.
      01-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I Have adaptive Xenons on my GC...love them. I was playing with the configurator and spec'd out a car with the LEDs...I couldn't see justifying the $1900 or so 'upgrade for them..(not sure what it is on an X3). I think you'll be fine and save some $ also.
      01-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

I have the LEDs on my car and they're fantastic, far better than aye Xenons I've driven with.

I'd be expecting the dealer let you keep the current car until they rectify the issue with a new spec'd car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
I'd be expecting the dealer let you keep the current car until they rectify the issue with a new spec'd car.
By then he will be in the time frame for the new (punitive for no reason) road tax (VED) regime.

Back to original question ......There is a hole in my bucket dear Henry ..a hole.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I was unsure if to add LED headlamps originally, £990 is a lot to ask above xenons albeit they look and work better. I have put something to the dealer and am awaiting their reply, on the plus side I save around £650 off the lease (although I lose LED headlamps @ £990 I gain adaptive and LED foglamps that are now optional rather than standard). If I get what I am asking for off the dealer I reckon I save another £800. Like others have said if I stick with what I have got and wait months for another I will get hit with the new VED system coming into effect on 1st April - also the deal i originally got the lease was loads cheaper than everyone else back then and even now (around £100 per month!!)

So all in all yes its a s@#t but I would have been more annoyed if they had said the car was the wrong colour or the VDC option hadn't been fitted - it could have been much worse! Will let you know how I get on.
      01-31-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Based on the marketing videos on LED tech, it seems the greatest benefit is for oncoming drivers or drivers in front of you. They don't get blinded by your headlights. Why, that's mighty gracious of you spending $1900 to do that.

Too bad the 90% idiots with after market hellabright halogens don't share the same considerate values.

Last edited by Gamb1t; 01-31-2017 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Peter_R255.50
      01-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Based on watching the marketing videos on LED tech, it seems the greatest benefit is for oncoming drivers or drivers in front of you. They don't get blinded by your headlights. Why, that's mighty gracious of you spending $1900 to do that.

To bad the 90% idiots with after market hellabright halogens don't share the same value.
Absolutely agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have adaptive Xenons and they are very good. I guess the only way of knowing if you would be satisfied would be try two cars side by side with Xenons and LEDs. Aesthetically they are slightly different, but when I ordered my car I wasn't convinced that the driving benefit was worth the option cost.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
I have adaptive Xenons and they are very good.......
Same in my case. I wasnt prepared to have a car with Halogens either. The adaptive xenons are ideal especially round twisty country lanes. The day they fit LED lights as standard is the time I will have them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Same in my case. I wasnt prepared to have a car with Halogens either. The adaptive xenons are ideal especially round twisty country lanes. The day they fit LED lights as standard is the time I will have them.
You know what's weird.... LED driving lights and Halogen headlights. Those look outright wrong. Been seeing them in hyundais, mazdas and Fords. Very odd mix of white LEDs and yellow Halos.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Neylus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 28i xLine

One thing to note is that the LED lamps provide a more modern, updated appearance to the front end vs. the 2011 design of the xenon's. There are a ton of xenon X3's on the road and the LED's definitely stand out from the crowd due to the more modern appearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neylus View Post
One thing to note is that the LED lamps provide a more modern, updated appearance to the front end vs. the 2011 design of the xenon's. There are a ton of xenon X3's on the road and the LED's definitely stand out from the crowd due to the more modern appearance.
So for people who want to pose, the outlay is over $1900 (or whatever the cost) just to say "look what I have got!". In my opinion a waste of money (unless money to burn), especially when the the only people who see them in normal day to day driving is the people on the opposite side of the road. Unless the person who has spent the cash keeps getting out and running round to the front and keeps admiring them . That gets a bit old after a while.

Each person to his own, but in my view it is typical BMW making a quick killing when they could just fit LEDs instead of xenons. Just like the old days in the UK when you had to pay for the cabin heater. Now all cars have them as standard.

Just an opinion you understand.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

^^
This.

Last year I borrowed the i8 and G12 7-Series for a few days. Both had adaptive LEDs but it certainly not a feature I missed or most importantly, reaped much benefit from during day time. It's one of the least features I "noticed" behind the wheel.

If you spend several hours a day driving in the dark on country or mountain roads I recommend them. If not, you will be fine without them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Ive had 2 cars with LED headlights (none adaptive).
An Audi S3 and a Seat Leon.

Have to say, I actually prefer HIDs.

LEDs have a very severe light cut off at the edges - HIDs tend to have a bit of light bleed at the edges of the beam ..... I prefer this.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep

The march is towards LED tech of which I have no doubt. It is a more efficient lighting solution to xenon which in turn more efficient than halogens.
Also LEDs being small and modular provide greater creativity in terms of aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #18
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
The march is towards LED tech of which I have no doubt. It is a more efficient lighting solution to xenon which in turn more efficient than halogens.
Also LEDs being small and modular provide greater creativity in terms of aesthetics.
Absolutely so, but the price premium over Xenons cannot be justified by BMW. Total ripoff.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #19
gullyg
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely so, but the price premium over Xenons cannot be justified by BMW. Total ripoff.
In the uk it's an extra £600 over the xenon if I recall correctly, not exactly what I would call a rip off.

What I would claim was a rip off was fitting a £38,000 (base level m sport) car with jam jar lights.

[Edit]
A Basic X3 M Sport 20d is £39,740 according to BMW.
The Xenon "Visability package is £1,105.00
The adaptive LEDs are £1600

However you can get the Xenons for £610, but they're not adaptive.

Horses for courses but I personally don't agree with a lot of the commenters on this thread, I've driven Xenons and LED and the LEDs are far far better and the adaptive function is excellent.

Last edited by gullyg; 02-02-2017 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
Neylus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 28i xLine

Quote:
So for people who want to pose, the outlay is over $1900 (or whatever the cost) just to say "look what I have got!". In my opinion a waste of money (unless money to burn), especially when the the only people who see them in normal day to day driving is the people on the opposite side of the road. Unless the person who has spent the cash keeps getting out and running round to the front and keeps admiring them . That gets a bit old after a while.

Each person to his own, but in my view it is typical BMW making a quick killing when they could just fit LEDs instead of xenons. Just like the old days in the UK when you had to pay for the cabin heater. Now all cars have them as standard.

Just an opinion you understand.
For that matter I don't jump out and look at any part of the car while driving. But I do admire the appearance of the X3, including the front end fitted with LED's. I have to say a BMW is a pretty unnecessary investment period, so the argument against LED's as a "luxury" seems a bit odd. That said, what is $1900 on a $50k car to bring it inline with the next 10 years of automotive lighting? At the very least, it's not instantly outdated.

Not much on internet arguing, just giving my 2 cents. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #21
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
Horses for courses but I personally don't agree with a lot of the commenters on this thread, I've driven Xenons and LED and the LEDs are far far better and the adaptive function is excellent.
Nor do I agree with some comments. Your previous comment that you edited out said words to the effect that the base car price with jam jar headlights was a rip off. Given that statement then charging the extra for Xenons then LEDs is an even bigger rip off.

Like many manufacturers BMW are going to have to watch the market with their over the top rip off charges when the VED increases on the first of April 2017. We are surely going to see a realignment of what is called a base model to fall under the £40,000 price point.

I have also driven just about every lighting system invented and fitted to vehicles, not only in the UK, but all over the world in my 60 years of holding a full driving licence and I can honestly say the price difference for LEDs (with less moving parts) over Xenons is in my opinion is not justified.

Manufacturing costs with regards to electronics are dropping and sooner or later LEDs will be cheaper to produce if they are not already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neylus View Post

Not much on internet arguing, just giving my 2 cents. Thanks.
Agreed. My 2 cents as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #22
gullyg
Rep

Quote:
Nor do I agree with some comments. Your previous comment that you edited out said words to the effect that the base car price with jam jar headlights was a rip off. Given that statement then charging the extra for Xenons then LEDs is an even bigger rip off.

Like many manufacturers BMW are going to have to watch the market with their over the top rip off charges when the VED increases on the first of April 2017. We are surely going to see a realignment of what is called a base model to fall under the £40,000 price point.

I have also driven just about every lighting system invented and fitted to vehicles, not only in the UK, but all over the world in my 60 years of holding a full driving licence and I can honestly say the price difference for LEDs (with less moving parts) over Xenons is in my opinion is not justified.

Manufacturing costs with regards to electronics are dropping and sooner or later LEDs will be cheaper to produce if they are not already.

Agreed. My 2 cents as well.

I haven't edited anything out - I added additional clarification once I was able to clarify the prices on a computer as I can't use the configurator on my phone.

With regards to my comment on jam jar lights, I do believe it's ridiculous that BMW are supplying a luxury car for £40k without a minimum of Xenons as standard. As you say, maybe the VED/RFL changes will change this in the uk although with the weak pound due to brexit I suspect this is 50/50 chance for now, but if I had a crystal ball I wouldn't be worrying about money.

I'm not sure what you mean by Xenons then LED - do you mean on top as in the LEDs should be cheaper? Whilst I'm not defending the cost BMW charge for LEDs I would point out that manufacturing cost is not the only cost with goods, there may be development, licensing and type approval costs amongst others as well. There's also the "because we can" factor - BMW aren't a charity, it's their feduciary responsibility to make the most money the can for shareholders, LEDs are the "newest thing" bar laser lights so can demand a premium.

Imho the LEDs are far better than the Xenons and the ~£600 difference between the active xenons and active LEDs is a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of the car. Now in the OPs specific situation it may be worth accepting the Xenons due to the VED/RFL increases however I wouldn't have been happy if my car had been delivered incorrectly spec'd.

At the end of the day it's all personal choice - the OP was asking for opinions and in my opinion the light output, colour and directionality is far superior in the BMW LED system.

But if it were possible, the best option imho would be to get both systems side by side. Unfortunately the nature of these things means this isn't always possible as dealers couldn't afford the cost of speccing every option let along multiple vehicles to give the details.
Appreciate 0