BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

E90 330i to X3 M sport

Just made the order today on a 2012 X3 35i with M Sport. Premium pkg, Top view rear camera and Tech pkg (Canadian Spec).

Couple questions:

Ordered right now with Space Grey on Oyster but contemplating on Alpine White with Red Brown instead... which one is a better combination?

Secondly, I didn't order the Dynamic Handling pkg... Worth the extra $$$?

Plans to lower it a little bit in the future and have some aggressive wheels on there... Make it more "M" looking

My previous 330i I sold is pictured below

2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Congrats, and welcome to the F25 boards!

Stick with the space grey and oyster with fineline wave (how I would have ordered had I not impulsively ordered black sapphire forgetting what a bitch a black car with swooping lines is to keep clean). Space grey is subdued, always looks clean, although never wet clean, just clean; all of the contours and creases will show up in gradient smooth shadows.

As for the dynamic handling package, you're already getting the M-sport, you may as well run back to your dealer and ask him to check it off for you. Maybe ask him if he might cut you a break on the cost of the package? It really optimizes the already sporty driving experience and it will definitely make you miss your tight and nimble 330i a lot less. My thought is: if you're getting a sport package (especially a primarily cosmetic one), shouldn't your car act as sporty as it's appearance implies?

And just my two cents with regards to lowering the X3--please don't do that. To each his own, I guess, but I respectfully advise that you spend your money elsewhere (like on exhaust mods or chips for higher output, maybe even on the $5,000 M-Sport rims).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I will second juddholland on getting the DHP, and also on not lowering it.

Color is a subjective call, SG is a decent color, and an easier resale likely than some colors. My VR is great, IMO, but not everyone will want a red X3. Apparently, some dealers will not order a VR X3 on spec, has to be a customer order. Most dealers are "chicken" when it comes to ordering colors for inventory cars.

BTW, like what you did to the 330i you just sold.
      10-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I'd also recommend DHP with DDC: it transforms the X3 from truck into something a little more sporting. And I would agree with Judd: lowering it will make it look like more empty codpiece.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Awe my plans of having an aggressive set up just down the drain haha.

Thanks for the advice, I think i might just add that in as my production date is week 45. As for cost, it wont make much of a difference anyways because I got a really good deal on it.

As for colours, Space grey is looking more favourable, but I've always had a soft spot for white with red interiors. I wish it was offered in saddle brown or coral red instead of red brown. But oyster is my next best choice for interior colours. Personally, Vermillion Red is really nice colour but like mentioned, it doesn't have the highest demand.

Thanks for the complements on my last 330i. I did a lot of work to it, and I miss it lots. But it became impractical for me (my last year I drove it a total of 3000kms)

I am hoping this X3 will give me the thrill of y 330i and at the same time have it more practical.

Plans for it right now is 20" staggered set up running a more aggressive offset with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Congrats on the order, and welcome to the soccer mom side of the BMW family!

Prior to the X3 and X5 I had 3 different 3 Series (two E90's and one E91). I traded the last - 328xi with ZSP for the X3 M Sport. I was in the mood for something different, but not vastly different. I wanted the extra space and higher seating position. I presume you've test driven some X3's so you should have an idea of the difference. I find that the electronically controlled steering feels "funny" until you get used to it and you do lose some of the feedback you're used to. But not overly so - still far superior to any other brand. There is a bit more head tossing in the corners, as a result of the height and those stupid laws of physics... but otherwise it feels very much like the E9x.

You might want the DHP if you want that extra feel. I don't have it. I'd be happy to take it, but don't mind without.... but that's just me.

As for lowering it.... very subjective. The X3 has enough wheel clearance to park a MINI in there, and sometimes that looks a bit odd - but it is a SUV (or SAV) so not really out of place. If you do lower it, I'd be interested to see.

As for the color combo I think SG over Oyster would be very nice... but again, very subjective.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Dude, your 330i looked killer...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

bump. Decided to go with Alpine white on Red Brown. I've always wanted a white vehicle and now that I am ordering new I thought it would be best to take advantage of it.

Decided not to go with DHP as I plan on lowering (even though ppl might not agree) and I don't want to deal with computer bs. I should be getting it at the end of this month and I am SUPER excited... first new vehicle, first SUV, first AWD, first white... first for everything!

I played around in photoshop last night just to see what my plans would look like... (sorry for the watermark... but I'd prefer people don't steal my work and call it their own)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
bump. Decided to go with Alpine white on Red Brown. I've always wanted a white vehicle and now that I am ordering new I thought it would be best to take advantage of it.

Decided not to go with DHP as I plan on lowering (even though ppl might not agree) and I don't want to deal with computer bs. I should be getting it at the end of this month and I am SUPER excited... first new vehicle, first SUV, first AWD, first white... first for everything!

I played around in photoshop last night just to see what my plans would look like... (sorry for the watermark... but I'd prefer people don't steal my work and call it their own)
If I were you I would NOT put those or any other rims of that size on the Car, you will regret it big time.
20" would be OK to drive on decent roads anything bigger and german autobahns only would be required.
Your choice but expensive.