BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Park button and shutting car off

My two big complaints..... I hate park on the top of the shifter as I like to rest my hand on it and am afraid of inadvertently putting the car into PARK.

Also, I hate having to take my foot off of the break to do the double tap of the start/stop button to turn the car fully off. If you leave your foot on the brake, the car restarts on the second tap.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
My two big complaints..... I hate park on the top of the shifter as I like to rest my hand on it and am afraid of inadvertently putting the car into PARK.

Also, I hate having to take my foot off of the break to do the double tap of the start/stop button to turn the car fully off. If you leave your foot on the brake, the car restarts on the second tap.
I used to rest my hand on the shifter too... but now I am resting on the centre console... it is wide enough to accommodate my hand

As far as turning off the car, I always put it into "Park", take off my foot and then turn it off.. So, never a problem for me..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

Habits from my E83 that I need to change....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

You will no doubt know this already but the need for the second tap can be eliminated by locking the car. This is my usual routine but I understand what you mean. If you have the stereo on, switching off the ignition by locking is an extra check that you have definitely remembered to lock the car as the stereo should be off

I don't have a problem with accidentally pressing the park button though. You may need a new hand rest position

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:

The car, obviously wont go into PARK while it is moving, but it will shift into neutral quite easily - which I do not like.

I am pretty sure you do not need to have your foot on the brake to stop (turn off) the car. Once it is in Park, a double tap will do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

of course. however, I have my foot on the brake, put it into park. In my old car, I'd immediately shut it off (I guess with my foot on the brake). Now, I have to take my foot off of the brake.

No big deal, just odd. 1st car with a start/stop button.

I agree it's super easy to put the car into neutral.

Finally, I don't care for the transmission, while in manual mode, automatically shifting from 2nd to 1st. My E83 would stay in 2nd all the way down the hill. The F25 tends to shift to 1st, if I slow down to something clost to 0 or 1mph.

In a few weeks, it'll be old hat.

The benefits of the F25 over the E83 outway the small annoyances!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
of course. however, I have my foot on the brake, put it into park. In my old car, I'd immediately shut it off (I guess with my foot on the brake). Now, I have to take my foot off of the brake.

No big deal, just odd. 1st car with a start/stop button.

I agree it's super easy to put the car into neutral.

Finally, I don't care for the transmission, while in manual mode, automatically shifting from 2nd to 1st. My E83 would stay in 2nd all the way down the hill. The F25 tends to shift to 1st, if I slow down to something clost to 0 or 1mph.

In a few weeks, it'll be old hat.

The benefits of the F25 over the E83 outway the small annoyances!
Yeah I wish it didn't automatically shift into 1st, even in D. I like the smoother delivery in city traffic starting in second. Sometimes when in M, I'll shift into second from a stop and it won't change back down, and then I just drive on as normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

How is it so easy to put the car into Neutral?

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
The car, obviously wont go into PARK while it is moving, but it will shift into neutral quite easily - which I do not like.

I am pretty sure you do not need to have your foot on the brake to stop (turn off) the car. Once it is in Park, a double tap will do it.
No it won't shift to neutral nor park if you hit the park button when the car is moving..... It just have the warning sound and the warning message in the dashboard......

I know this because I did it accidentally couple of times when the car is moving.....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
No it won't shift to neutral nor park if you hit the park button when the car is moving..... It just have the warning sound and the warning message in the dashboard......

I know this because I did it accidentally couple of times when the car is moving.....
I wonder if there's a speed where the lock out doesn't work... ie., below 5kmh.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

It will shift into N while moving if you push the gear shift lever forward one click, but I believe your foot must be off the gas in order for this to happen. However, if you hold the brake and then pull the lever back one click, it will shift back into D. There must be some reason regarding engine braking or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #12
laperacfo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2012 X5  [0.00]
I do not understand why some people like to rest their hand on the shift knob. Even with a MT you shift gear and you remove your hand. Never rest your hand on the shifter. I find it to be a bad habit.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #13
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

As Alanintxs said just put the car in park and give the button a quick double tap. While sometimes annoying I could understand why they make it so you have to push the button twice and not just once. If you are waiting for someone/something while sitting in your car you can just tap the button once and turn off the engine without turning off the music, A/C, heated seats, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
It will shift into N while moving if you push the gear shift lever forward one click, but I believe your foot must be off the gas in order for this to happen. However, if you hold the brake and then pull the lever back one click, it will shift back into D. There must be some reason regarding engine braking or something.
I'm pretty sure that in order to shift the car out of D and into N you first have to have your foot on the brake and then push the little button on the side of the shift lever.

I remeber driving one time and thinking that the car was in manual mode when it wasn't and trying to downshift franticly with no luck. So I think it's quite hard to put the car into N unless some of the people on here who like to rest their hand on the shift knob are also holding their thumb on the small side button.

PS: Might I suggest resting your hand over the iDrive knob for some of you, it's more comfortable than the shift lever IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperacfo View Post
I do not understand why some people like to rest their hand on the shift knob. Even with a MT you shift gear and you remove your hand. Never rest your hand on the shifter. I find it to be a bad habit.
Yes, the function of the beverage in your left hand and the smoke in your right hand is to keep your hands off the controls.
Appreciate 0