BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Luna-01
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive 35i

X3 8 speed standard vs sport transmission

Hi,

I have read much about the 8HP transmission being used in the X3 and many other vehicles. I notice that there is a standard 8 speed transmission and a sport 8 speed transmission (Sport Package).

My dealer's service guys tell me the sport transmission is different from the standard, but they don't know in what ways it differs.

Anyone out there know what the difference might be?

thanks

John
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna-01 View Post
Hi,

I have read much about the 8HP transmission being used in the X3 and many other vehicles. I notice that there is a standard 8 speed transmission and a sport 8 speed transmission (Sport Package).

My dealer's service guys tell me the sport transmission is different from the standard, but they don't know in what ways it differs.

thanks

John
Yep "Sport Transmission" has different shift speeds and holds gears longer in "Sport and Sport+", much different than STD, this coupled with VDC is great IMO, I have ordered both on my X3 35D Sport coming December time.
      10-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Hi,

thanks

John
All automatic X3s have a Sport transmission which changes the gear ratios so that it's held in gear for longer before changing when accelerating and you can select Sport mode by moving the shift selector to the side.

If the X3 has Dynamic Drive Control (a Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch) you can set DDC to alter transmission which changes the transmission again - not sure on the exact differences but people claim they are different.

Sport+ has no effect on the transmission (same as Sport). I think it just switches off DTC

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

"Sport" gets you shift paddles on the steering wheel, absent in non-Sport models. See page 66 in the 2011 online manual at

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...zyN2Vwpl66pstQ
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
Luna-01
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive 35i

X3 8 speed standard vs sport transmission

Hi, Thanks for the replies. I understand the three mode settings normal/sport/sport+, and I understand one can get shift paddles on the steering wheel.

I have been told by dealers that the physical transmission that goes in a X3 without M Sport or Sport Activity Package is actually different than the transmission that is provided with M Sport or Sport Activity.

I originally asked the question of my dealer when I noticed the Sport Activity Package lists "8 speed sport transmission with steering wheel shift paddles" and the standard X3 lists an 8 speed transmission.

I'm trying to figure out if that's just the marketing guys getting carried away or is the transmission actually different.

From the writeups of the 8HPxx series, it seems that a few electronic inputs and a few options would be more than able to create any number of transmission personalities, all while using the physically identical units.

just wondering.........
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

...From the writeups of the 8HPxx series, it seems that a few electronic inputs and a few options would be more than able to create any number of transmission personalities, all while using the physically identical units.

just wondering.........
Correct assumption. The "Sport Transmission" option would be better named "Sport Transmission programming" option. The physical automatic transmissions are exactly the same across the full range of engines. Even the 20d uses the same transmission The differences are in the use of steering wheel mounted paddles, programming that matches specific engine torque curves, and programming for "Sport" mode with its higher/faster shift points and higher rpm downshifts.

The BMW part number for all (F25) 8-speed automatics is GA8 HP-45Z-AWD.

The front and rear axle final drive ratios do vary from engine to engine, so that gives a different speed in each gear (depending on engine). However, the transmission gear ratios for different engines are all the same.

Final drive ratios (front and rear are always equal) are:

28i = 3.73 (probably the main reason the 28i's fuel consumption is higher than the 35i in city driving)
35i = 3.38
20d = 3.08
30d and 35d = 2.81 (takes advantage of the 30d & 35d's high torque and lower redline)

In the "old days" a "Sport Transmission Option" might bring you a manual box with different (usually closer) gear ratios, and possibly heavy duty syncros. Today it brings you a different bit of programming code. It's only creative use of terminology via the Marketing Department.

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-06-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
it should be noted in the US atleast you can't just get the sport mode transmission - its part of either Sport Activity Package or MSport Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

the sport transmission also gets you a little bit of leather around the gear shifter. Seems like you need to have the 35i to get this.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

Sport+ has no effect on the transmission (same as Sport). I think it just switches off DTC
Sport+ also disables cruise control. At first I was surprised by that, but then it makes sense... if you are using CC what is the point of being in Sport+ ?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0