BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
We've had a few hot humid days here in the Mid-Atlantic, and I've had good opportunities to really assess the A/C temperature.

Judging by the holes in my shirt where my nipples poked through, I'd have to say that it does a great job!

Thrill - here is something to check: The X3 climate system does not seem to automatically turn on the A/C compressor when you press "Auto", unless that was the previous setting. Not sure why it is so, but that's what I've observed. Be sure the little snowflake button has the green light on, otherwise you're just drawing in outside air. I believe if you press Auto a second time, it will kick in, or you can just press the snowflake button. Also, be sure that the roller control in the center dash (between and beneath the center vents) is turned to BLUE. Red is for warm air, blue for cold air.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #24
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Judging by the holes in my shirt where my nipples poked through, I'd have to say that it does a great job!
LMAO! If I was gay I'd need the A/C on now. Reminds me of my grocery store days working the frozen food aisle!

If you are not using them, turn the back console vents to "closed".
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I actually find the AC to be too cold at 60 F (lowest possible temp) with the rolling switch turned to blue at the 1 bar setting. It must be broiling where some of you guys are living if max AC isn't cold enough, I personally haven't gone above 2 bars.

Didn't want to make a new thread since my question somewhat relates to the discussed topic.

Does anyone notice a moist and musty smell when just simply leaving the car at a temperature without AC on? The moist air goes away when turning on the AC but quickly returns when off so I'm essentially forced to leave it on all the time.

Thanks in advance

Yes, i've experienced the same. I dont think there's any reason to turn AC off. I keep it on always and just set the temp I want. It switches from cooling to hear to achieve that temp and when warm and humid it dries the air.
      06-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We've had a few hot humid days here in the Mid-Atlantic, and I've had good opportunities to really assess the A/C temperature.

Thrill - here is something to check: The X3 climate system does not seem to automatically turn on the A/C compressor when you press "Auto", unless that was the previous setting. Not sure why it is so, but that's what I've observed. Be sure the little snowflake button has the green light on, otherwise you're just drawing in outside air. I believe if you press Auto a second time, it will kick in, or you can just press the snowflake button. Also, be sure that the roller control in the center dash (between and beneath the center vents) is turned to BLUE. Red is for warm air, blue for cold air.
The roller sets the differential of the mid-level vents. Relatively warmer or cooler at mid level regardless of whether system is cooling or heating.
      06-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #27
hardweb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D

This is normal on all modern cars. In order to reduce the risk of heart attack, they keep a reasonable limit between the outside temp and the inside temp. So, if outside is really hot, inside the car will be warmer on the same AC setting than it is when the temp outside is lower.

In the '90 most cars were like refrigerators inside
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Riiiight. Anyone interested in buying a bridge?
      06-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #29
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Last edited by Irish-Texan; 07-01-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #30
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
I can't exactly say how cold it is (good or bad)...'cause I haven't tested any other X3s.
What I can test it with, is my 2011 Chevi Equinox and I can tell you, it is A LOT BETTER!

We don't unleash the car very much (1 month of ownership and only 400km on the radar!!!), but so far seems to be all right.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #31
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

How cold is mine?
We just disposed our fridge and use the X3 to store our food. Can make ice cubes too, vegetables stay crisp and fresh at the cargo.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #32
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
I actually find the AC to be too cold at 60 F (lowest possible temp) with the rolling switch turned to blue at the 1 bar setting. It must be broiling where some of you guys are living if max AC isn't cold enough, I personally haven't gone above 2 bars.

Didn't want to make a new thread since my question somewhat relates to the discussed topic.

Does anyone notice a moist and musty smell when just simply leaving the car at a temperature without AC on? The moist air goes away when turning on the AC but quickly returns when off so I'm essentially forced to leave it on all the time.

Thanks in advance
Yes, this is common in every BMW I've owned (that's five total). When you run the venting system without A/C and just draw outside air, you also draw in some moisture, etc. This tends to get a bit "stale" when it sits idle and there are a few moments of "ick" when you next run it. Remember that when you're just drawing in air, that is exactly what you get - so depending on where you live it could be quite moist. I've noticed that putting the sunroof in vent position helps a bit, as it aspirates air out and circulates it better through the car. Also, make sure you don't have the recirculation turned on when in "fresh air" mode.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Yes, i've experienced the same. I dont think there's any reason to turn AC off. I keep it on always and just set the temp I want. It switches from cooling to hear to achieve that temp and when warm and humid it dries the air.
How about a nice mild day, and saving the cost of running the compressor? That's a reason.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
How cold is mine?
We just disposed our fridge and use the X3 to store our food. Can make ice cubes too, vegetables stay crisp and fresh at the cargo.
I noticed mine has a setting of "ABS ZER". At first I didn't know what that was, but when I tried it, I noticed that all molecular activity inside the car ceased.

Several billionaires have approached me requested to be stored in my X3 upon death, until science can find a cure for their disease. I figure the extra weight might hurt my gas mileage, but they're offering decent money.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #35
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about a nice mild day, and saving the cost of running the compressor? That's a reason.
Of course, with the windows open and such. Compressor doesn't run, though, if cooling isn't needed even if the snowflake is on (which is what I meant by the AC being on, if that was unclear).
      07-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #36
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
If the green light on the snowflake button is on, your compressor is running. When I just want to vent in fresh air, I turn that off.

In Virginia you'll get that humidity in, just like we do in Delaware... so I definately know what you're talking about.

Appreciate 0