BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Well at least the issue is resolved, and you found the root cause. You can tell right away link is installed on wrong side. As you typically do remove/install one side at a time so you can look at the other side (just in case), I'm guessing time to find another mechanic.

A picture is worth 1k words....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #24
KurtP
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Well at least the issue is resolved, and you found the root cause. You can tell right away link is installed on wrong side. As you typically do remove/install one side at a time so you can look at the other side (just in case), I'm guessing time to find another mechanic.

A picture is worth 1k words....

It wasn't immediately apparent to me because I had never seen the shocks installed before the problem occurred. Once I noticed the links were kinked near the top and saw another X3, it was.....I'd usually do something like this myself, but my time constraints were such it wasn't an option. Living in eastern europe means my choices of mechanics is....limited....

Last edited by KurtP; 07-06-2017 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 03:01 AM   #25
KurtP
Rep

for what it's worth with to anyone still following:

It was aligned at bmw and Ive been driving it for a few weeks.

In short, I'll be removing the components when I feel like dealing with the ass pain and going back to the stock spring and BMW damper.

The pros: Much, much more stable with braking with significantly reduced body roll. It is a firm ride, but it doesnt feel too firm to my tastes, others may feel differently. The car is much more stable at speed, and rolling down the autobahn at 110 is much better than before.

The cons: The stiffness....not a contradiction...the ride FEELS fine to me from a harshness standpoint, the problem is that the rear end is over sprung and over damped. This causes significant bump steer at the rear end. If both sides at the rear end hit the bump and compress, the ride is fine, the car is fine, and there are no issues. Its definitely stiffer, and there is more movement, but it isnt a "problem". If just one of the rear tires hits a bump at 40mph+, the rear end will bump steer to that direction sufficiently enough that you have to add steering input to keep the car tracking in the desired direction. If you've ever driven on a track and had snap over steer happens, the sensation is very similar to the beginning of snap oversteer. It is somewhat unsettling to experience in a street car just driving down the road, especially since all that is required to cause it is something as minor as a manhole cover not sitting flush with the road.

My suspicion is that the the rear spring rates are too high and the rear shocks are over damped. I'm hoping in the coming months this smooths out some, but the severity of it leaves me with my doubts on that. I've been under the car extensively now, and everything is installed correctly, so it seems the rear suspension just cant handle the stiffer set up.

I would also say that if road noise and interior rattles bother you, don't do this. The stiffer suspension really highlights the corners BMW cuts in their QC/fit finish process. The fact that the interior pieces are just kind of rammed into the car without regard for how they fit is really highlighted with the suspension. Before, the rattles were pretty much limited to an intermittent one in the sunroof, one in the door, and one in the dash. Post suspension, this X3 has as many creaks, groans, rattles, and vibrations as a chrysler or a chevy.

Over all pretty displeased with the lack of engineering/testing that was done by Bilstein and eibach for this set up that resulted in this much bump steer at the rear, and pretty displeased with BMW's QC on their interior. This is the 4th car I've put this exact set up on(eibach pro kit and yellow bilstein) and the only one to do this.

my $.02, YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #26
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I have Eibach Pro Kit on stock dampeners. Don't have the bump steer effect you mention. So I'm leaning towards the Bilstein Yellows (B6? B8?) as the cause of your issue. Are they adjustable?
Appreciate 1
KurtP4.50
      07-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #27
KurtP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I have Eibach Pro Kit on stock dampeners. Don't have the bump steer effect you mention. So I'm leaning towards the Bilstein Yellows (B6? B8?) as the cause of your issue. Are they adjustable?
Thanks for chiming in with that, it's actually helpful in isolating what is causing the problem....would seem to indicate the yellows are over-damped for the rear. Positive side, there is more of a chance of the damper breaking in over time than the spring.

The shocks are not adjustable. (they are the B6)

The only other thing that I can think of that would cause this issue would be odd tire wear. It had been a long time since the car was aligned, so there is the potential that the tires had worn non uniformly that could be contributing to the bump steer or making it worse, but I'm not sure.

My plan at this point is drive it through the summer to see if the shocks wear in a little, and since I'm due for new tires this fall anyway, do new tires and re-align then and see how it drives. If it still has the bump steer issue, I'll drop the shocks and go to the OE B4 sport shock.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Had B4 OE Sport installed last fall on my Audi (which I sold recently). That was stiffer than stock (Sachs) too, but it worked well.

I also don't have rattles in my X3, aside from loose items getting thrown about
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #29
KurtP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Had B4 OE Sport installed last fall on my Audi (which I sold recently). That was stiffer than stock (Sachs) too, but it worked well.

I also don't have rattles in my X3, aside from loose items getting thrown about
could be luck of the draw, I suppose....monday morning and friday afternoon cars are a real thing.....

hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:50 PM   #30
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Wow, just read this whole thread as I'm considering a set of springs for my X3... Sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad you got it worked out. Would've been nicer to get a better ride in the end, but oh well...

I will say, the F25 has much better fit and finish than some of the BMWs, that's for sure. Not sure why you have so many rattles...

The only advice I can go with is when you get new tires, go with a non RFT, the ride quality overall is so much better. They're more compliant, quieter, softer ride, lighter, and definitely cheaper!

My X3 is running Michelin Pilot Super Sports right now... Such a great tire!
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #31
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
Wow, just read this whole thread as I'm considering a set of springs for my X3... Sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad you got it worked out. Would've been nicer to get a better ride in the end, but oh well...

I will say, the F25 has much better fit and finish than some of the BMWs, that's for sure. Not sure why you have so many rattles...

The only advice I can go with is when you get new tires, go with a non RFT, the ride quality overall is so much better. They're more compliant, quieter, softer ride, lighter, and definitely cheaper!

My X3 is running Michelin Pilot Super Sports right now... Such a great tire!
Not in the rain but sure def in the dry

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #32
luisavila
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Hello, how about, I wanted to comment that I have this kit B12 in January Reference: E90-20-024-02-22, since I have a x3 35i with front axle weight 1150.
To this day, no problem (from 1-1-2017).
But I can not align, I have problems with fall now. How to solve it.

We have two references. According to weight of front axle.

Reference: E90-20-024-01-22
Front axle weight: 1120
Rear axle weight: 1330

Reference: E90-20-024-02-22
Front axle weight: 1180
Rear axle weight: 1330

hola , que tal , les quería comentar que llevo de enero con este kit B12 en concreto el Referencia: E90-20-024-02-22 , ya que tengo una x3 35i con peso eje delantero 1150.
hasta el día de hoy , ningún problema (desde 1-1-2017).
pero no puedo alinear , tengo problemas con a caída ahora. como solucionarlo.

tenemos dos referencias. según peso de eje delantero.

Referencia: E90-20-024-01-22
Peso eje delantero: 1120
Peso eje trasero: 1330

Referencia: E90-20-024-02-22
Peso eje delantero: 1180
Peso eje trasero: 1330
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #33
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Bumping this thread! OP, did the ride ever get better? I'm thinking about this set-up!
Appreciate 0