BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Fogs

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
has anyone had to replace your fog lights? ours are cracked, I am wondering if it is a DIY project. The owners manual seems to have instructions for lamp replacement and it looks like the whole assemble comes out. We have adaptive headlights. Not sure why they cracked, but BMW will not pay...

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Yes, this week in fact. Mine shattered (not sure how - assume on motorway) and you can't just replace the cover; you have to replace the whole unit. Costs £115 here. Very annoying. Looks fairly easy to replace though if it's similar to this:

Waiting on the new one but will let you know once it's here

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Thanks for the video and info. That wasn't exactly like the F25, but close enough. They are expensive here as well, about 130 USD. I have to wait until winter goes away a bit to do ours, but will be interested in how it goes. FYI, BMW wanted about 350 USD to replace each one.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda View Post
FYI, BMW wanted about 350 USD to replace each one.

Will feedback once replaced. I'm crap at DIY so if I can do, anyone can

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Done

It is easier than expected. No screws, just pull out the remainder of the glass and then take a pair of pliers and grip the plastic about an inch to the left of the protruding plastic clip at the top. The whole unit just slides out with only a little force - not even any retaining clips to push in. Sliding the replacement back in also easy although I was waiting for a click to let me know when it was in securely but it never came. Looks like it's in far enough though.

Just be careful pulling out the glass (recommend you only take pieces from the top left to allow you to access the plastic) as it's easy to scratch the bodywork as it's very tight

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Good to know you replaced it safely!

On the subject of fog lights, I wonder of the new LED lights on the LCI will fit. It would be a nice upgrade when they become available!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Fogs

Thanks for the update, looks like will be fairly easy to do. Just need some warm weather, way to cold to lay or sit on the garage floor presently.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp
Good to know you replaced it safely!

On the subject of fog lights, I wonder of the new LED lights on the LCI will fit. It would be a nice upgrade when they become available!
Worth it if they fit as you have to replace the whole thing on one side if it breaks. I thought about it but not sure if wiring would be compatible or if new LCI bumper would have same size recess. Too late now and I wanted to get it fixed. LEDs will look much better

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouda
Thanks for the update, looks like will be fairly easy to do. Just need some warm weather, way to cold to lay or sit on the garage floor presently.
No worries. It was blowing a gale here so just needed its nose in the garage to fit (a garage that is full of kids toys and buggies and no longer houses cars!)

Appreciate 0