BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

UK extended storage

Picking up on the US trunk tray thread, are UK buyers ordering the extended storage option or buying after market fittings? The seat back nets sound useful, as maybe the boot stuff but £150? Wisedom again please.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I ordered the extended storage pack as I felt the nets would be really handy.
The nets are listed in the accessories brochure but based on the old x3 were around £40 fitted each so just made sense to add the pack- seemed ok value for money. Not sure how handy the boot stuff will be, but the reversible mat could be handy.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Got the net pocket in the footwell and leather seat back pockets on my 5 series and never ever use them for anything meaningful (passengers normally empty their pockets of sweet papers etc!

Nets on seat backs would probably look crap with stuff in them (most premium £30-40k cars have leather seat pockets on the back of seats)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Got the net pocket in the footwell and leather seat back pockets on my 5 series and never ever use them for anything meaningful (passengers normally empty their pockets of sweet papers etc!

Nets on seat backs would probably look crap with stuff in them (most premium £30-40k cars have leather seat pockets on the back of seats)
+1

I ordered the storage pack on my A5 which added nets to the seat backs and we've never used them for anything remotely constructive. They just fill with crap. It also came with a special net for the boot which again I've never really used.

The X3 demo I had came with the storage option and the boot fittings looked nice and robust ... but I had no interest at all in trying them out. Neither had any previous test drivers because they were still nicely shrink-wrapped in the original packaging in the boot storage tray.

My view ... if you like to tinker with stuff or have a penchant for BDSM then it's money well spent. I reckon 90% of people play with the fittings for the first couple of weeks and then they never get used again.

One exception: shopping hooks - I ALWAYS use those (and yes, I'm male) but these can almost always be sourced as spares through your local dealer.

It's certainly a better investment than the £90 sports steering wheel though
      02-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
One exception: shopping hooks - I ALWAYS use those (and yes, I'm male) but these can almost always be sourced as spares through your local dealer.

It's certainly a better investment than the £90 sports steering wheel though
Do we not get shopping hooks? Where will the curry go?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post

i was contemplating adding them too but on reading this post, realised i've never used them on the e60 either... thanks for saving me $$$
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Ummmm, curry . . .
      02-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

My dealer said the Extended Storage option also added cup holders in the rear centre armrest as it was previously thought they came as standard but apparently not.

Anyone with an X3 able to confirm or deny this?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Never used the nets on the seat backs yet, waste of money
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I have it and actually find it useful

The net in the passenger footwell is great for maps, you get chrome ringed cups in the front center cup holders that look good, rear cup holders and seatback nets that are good for kids magazines and stuff for a journey and the cubby to the right of the steering wheel (UK) which is good for change, glasses or whatever.

I keep a fire extinguisher in the boot net which is handy if you go abroad, shoes in the storage box (which is a bit crap) the only thing I doubt I will use is the reversible floor. If you keep the car for 3 years and it costs you £1 a week or 60p a week if you keep the car for 5 years I would say it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Yes there are cup holders in the back.. and I have shopping hooks in the boot that were there with the car.. useful option for the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I have it and actually find it useful.......

..... the cubby to the right of the steering wheel (UK) which is good for change, glasses or whatever.

I find the features useful too. One thing to note is that if you specify the speed limit display, the cubby beside the steering wheel is automatically deleted......
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #13
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbhuna View Post
My dealer said the Extended Storage option also added cup holders in the rear centre armrest as it was previously thought they came as standard but apparently not.

Anyone with an X3 able to confirm or deny this?
Your dealer is right. You need the extended storage pack to get the cup holders in the rear armrest. I don't have the ESP and have no cup holders in the back - boo!
      08-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

In response to various posts.... I have Sat Nav so dont require maps plus I get my curry delivered!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
Your dealer is right. You need the extended storage pack to get the cup holders in the rear armrest. I don't have the ESP and have no cup holders in the back - boo!
Are you sure?

I don't have the extended storage pack and I have 2 cup holders in my rear armrest......
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
jknj
Rep
Drives: 12 x3 in Deep Sea Blue

The sliding tracks in the "boot" are nice. I used them in my older x3, and miss them in my new one. Agree ont the various nets. Not worth much. I purchased the cover and folding box for the boot, and it works quite well $80 in the US if you shop.
Appreciate 0