BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

MS interestingly I am a Canon user and frequently read that sort of thread on the camera forums. Do you have winter wheels/tyres on your car?

I never realised it would be so difficult to find winter tyres for my 369s and that all season were not available at all!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
MS interestingly I am a Canon user and frequently read that sort of thread on the camera forums. Do you have winter wheels/tyres on your car?

I never realised it would be so difficult to find winter tyres for my 369s and that all season were not available at all!
I do ... I've just purchased a wheel and tyre set ... I have 307 18's for summers and bought the same with Pirelli Sottozero Serie II winters fitted.

(I'm currently a Nikon user but dip my toe on the darkside occasionally )

MS
      12-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
I do ... I've just purchased a wheel and tyre set ... I have 307 18's for summers and bought the same with Pirelli Sottozero Serie II winters fitted.

(I'm currently a Nikon user but dip my toe on the darkside occasionally )

MS
I will have to think carefully if it is worth investing about £2k on wheels and tyres without knowing if we will have a harsh winter down here.

(Lol, on the Canon forums, Nikon is referred to as the darkside! If I didn't have so many Canon lenses, I might consider a change).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I peeled the stock rubber off the 19" M Sport wheels and replaced the with Pirelli Sottozero series II. Very happy with the tires thus far.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #27
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwen View Post
I peeled the stock rubber off the 19" M Sport wheels and replaced the with Pirelli Sottozero series II. Very happy with the tires thus far.
Hi Kuwen,

I have just had a look online and Pirelli don't list a 275 of these tyres in the UK. Do you have staggered wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Right on cue, an email from BMW. Sums up my opinion on the marketing. Here's the email:

Two things: one, consider the first diagram redrawn to scale with important numbers not deliberately made smaller and difficult to see:

Next, OK, on ice that's almost 20% better but you've still taken 57m to come to a halt with winter tyres when only doing 20mph!!

They are good for snow though

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Right on cue, an email from BMW. Sums up my opinion on the marketing. Here's the email:

Two things: one, consider the first diagram redrawn to scale with important numbers not deliberately made smaller and difficult to see:

Next, OK, on ice that's almost 20% better but you've still taken 57m to come to a halt with winter tyres when only doing 20mph!!

They are good for snow though
Regardless of marketing .... Winter tyres stop you shorter .... Which can mean the difference between stuffing your car or not .... For me that's a good reason to change to winters .... You give the impression that you are rubbishing the 7.3% reduction which means stopping 5 metres shorter.

MS
      12-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwen View Post
Hi Kuwen,

I have just had a look online and Pirelli don't list a 275 of these tyres in the UK. Do you have staggered wheels?
245/45/R19s on all four corners.

It was a bugger just trying to find those as run flats.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Regardless of marketing .... Winter tyres stop you shorter .... Which can mean the difference between stuffing your car or not .... For me that's a good reason to change to winters .... You give the impression that you are rubbishing the 7.3% reduction which means stopping 5 metres shorter.

MS
I don't mean to give that impression and understand what you are saying. I only wanted to highlight that 7.3% is not a great reduction in stopping distance when you consider that the stopping distance with 3mm tread is up to 45% less than the stopping distance with 1.6mm (legal min) tread - see here for more info http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi...ead-depth.aspx. That is material and is the reason I won't let mine get below 3mm.

The stopping distance is actually slightly increased with winters when it's dry, and is also dependent on the temperature of the tyre. Lots of factors that all move the % figure around.

Since this thread started, the likelihood of snow here has gone from a Daily Express arctic blizzard certainty (gotta love their weather stories) to a mild 7C and largely dry for the foreseeable future

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

sfax, I hope the mild weather stays! I have to admit that the 100 day blizzard forecast nearly had me buying £1200 worth of winter tyre! I still want a set of all season as a bit of insurance against bad weather. Still no luck in finding any though!

Thanks for all your input!
Appreciate 0