BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #1
Chryxtivn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Exclamation X3 2014 35i shakes after replacing spark plugs

Hi, so my X3 had an "small" issue when I start up, the engine kinda sputters for a bit and go back to normal. This happens occasionally and this happened before I changed the spark plugs.

So, I took a risk and tried to replace it myself using the Bosch brand spark plugs for the first time from Autozone. It was a pain in the a** to replace it all on the N55 engine, especially the last 2 in the back of the engine.

Started it up and it runs but its sputtering even more and shakes a hell lot more than before. I do have a BIMMERCODE reader but the dashboard isn't putting out any check engine light at all.

I'm in Madison, WI, and I contacted all the autoshop that specializes BMWs and they all have a week delay availability or more. The thing is this X3 is my daily and I gotta get it back on the road as soon as possible. My X3 got about 105,000 miles on it. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Are you sure you used the correct bosch plug? Did you use a socket with a swivel on it to do the job? Did you torque the plugs to spec or guess?

How are the ignition coils? Have they ever been replaced? If so, which ones?

You're right, the 6th plug is awful to get to. 5th wasn't so so bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
Chryxtivn
Registered
Rep

I told the guy at autozone the model and brand of my car, he looked it up to match the right spark plugs for it. I also compared the old and new next to each other. They seem to match.

I used a socket w/ swivels to replace the spark plugs. So, yes i guessed the torque.

The coils are fine, no damages or anything like that. They seem to look like new.

Last edited by Chryxtivn; 09-05-2023 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Do the BimmerCode scan, you may well find fault codes- go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

As thin as the ceramic is on these plugs guessing at the low torque value can often lead to cracked ceramic on the plugs and then they misfire - ask me how I know….

Many of us have made the mistake you just did.

It’s time to pull out the plugs you just installed and carefully examine them as the cracks are often well hidden. When looking for them the first time I did this it’s easy to miss.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:39 AM   #6
Chryxtivn
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
As thin as the ceramic is on these plugs guessing at the low torque value can often lead to cracked ceramic on the plugs and then they misfire - ask me how I know….

Many of us have made the mistake you just did.

It’s time to pull out the plugs you just installed and carefully examine them as the cracks are often well hidden. When looking for them the first time I did this it’s easy to miss.
The code went up, misfire on cylinder 3. Seems its repeating the code to only to the third cylinder. I took it out and checked the 3rd spark plugs, it seems fine and unbroken? I probably miss it, but I'm feeling that its not damaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryxtivn View Post
The code went up, misfire on cylinder 3. Seems its repeating the code to only to the third cylinder. I took it out and checked the 3rd spark plugs, it seems fine and unbroken? I probably miss it, but I'm feeling that its not damaged.
Swap the coil pack from cyl #3 with another cylinder....see if the misfire follows the coil pack to it's new location, if so then you have your misfire cause as the coil; If not, then you may have a plug or fuel injector issue at #3.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #8
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryxtivn View Post
Lucky you cyl 3 is easy to get to!
Do what the other person said, swap the coil first if it follows then it's the coil. Otherwise swap the plug, if follows etc etc

I'm guessing it's probably not an injector but stranger things

Sometimes I've heard of plugs just being bad out of the box, it could be something simple like that as well.
Appreciate 0