BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

RFT Punctures

I hadn't had a flat tyre for 20 years. I have had the X3 since Feb this year and suffered two punctures since then (cost $1250AUD all up for new tyres - both could not be repaired). The most recent one last Saturday morning. Long weekend, stores closed, so no option but to hire a car for the weekend. Was I livid, you ask? You bet.

Have managed to get the recent tyre repaired and will keep as a spare. Currently arranging a spare rim from the dealer. In future when I go beyond the city limits the spare tyre and jack will be coming with me.

RFTs are OK - apart from the cost impost - but IMHO they do not obviate the need for spare.

I know this has subject has been done to death already, so apologies for that, but I need to vent!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Fargo13
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I agree 100%!
The RFT's still have to be changed. And of all the flats I've ever had, only one was a blowout that wouldn't let me travel to a better spot to change it anyway. Most of my flats have been a nail in a tire that I find the next morning in my garage. Just a month ago, I pulled out of my driveway to have the TPMS go off within the first 100 yards and no tire dealer was willing to repair it. A spare would have allowed me to go on and get it fixed at a more convenient time. Instead, I was down a car until I had time to take it for a replacement. Then the dealer damaged one of the other wheels when putting it on the rack, so I had to make another appointment to get that repaired.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
last friday i had to purchase new tire from dealership $325 for tire and mount thru dealership.
local shop had 5hr wait to get the tire plus price was higher $265 for tire plus labor.
i had it tow as well no charge thru bmw roadside assit.

i really dont know what happen to the tire, but i couldnt drive much and didnt want to damage the rim, as i drove i heard the flap flap sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I pulled a roofing nail from my tire a few weeks ago. I just had a local shop throw a plug in for $12.
      06-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
Have managed to get the recent tyre repaired and will keep as a spare. Currently arranging a spare rim from the dealer. In future when I go beyond the city limits the spare tyre and jack will be coming with me.
As you say, the issue of runflats has probably been done to death not just on this forum, but on every BMW forum on the face of the earth.

One word of advise I would give you in going down the path you are going down (which is the one I went down with conventional tyres from Day 1) is that once you have your spare tyre and rim, that you have a practise dry run in changing tyres to make sure you have the right equipment. First jack I had wouldn't fit under the car in its lowered position with the second (smaller) one would only just lift the car high enough to change tyres. Now carry both jacks with an assortment of small wooden blocks to give the range of lift I need. Also wheel hangers make the job of lifting wheels off and on much easier.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
As you say, the issue of runflats has probably been done to death not just on this forum, but on every BMW forum on the face of the earth.

One word of advise I would give you in going down the path you are going down (which is the one I went down with conventional tyres from Day 1) is that once you have your spare tyre and rim, that you have a practise dry run in changing tyres to make sure you have the right equipment. First jack I had wouldn't fit under the car in its lowered position with the second (smaller) one would only just lift the car high enough to change tyres. Now carry both jacks with an assortment of small wooden blocks to give the range of lift I need. Also wheel hangers make the job of lifting wheels off and on much easier.

Tony

The guy at the tyre shop recommended I get a small trolley jack. I'll check what they have a Supercheap - it would have to be light and compact. I'll also need a wheel brace. Agree about doing a dry run (in the comfort of my garage).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

Don't see why you can't call BMW Assist\Roadside to change out a flat for the spare tire?
My main concern is my LA to Vegas trip, i rather have the option of a spare then deal with run flat.
      06-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I had to get the wheel and tire insurance from my dealer when i bought my car, because the road here in NJ sucks that there are alot of unpredictable potholes popping out daily.
      06-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #9
ozbmwx3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Don't see why you can't call BMW Assist\Roadside to change out a flat for the spare tire?
My main concern is my LA to Vegas trip, i rather have the option of a spare then deal with run flat.
That is a great alternative if I am dressed in my Sunday best. Otherwise I think I could do it quicker than having to wait for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.0d

I have a stupid question, is it ok if I replace the flat one with a normal non-RFT one, ie three RFTs with one normal tire? If this wasn't a good idea, what about having two pairs, ie two RFTs and two normal ones?

The idea is to progressively switch back to the normal tires, instead of changing them all in one go while the other two or three of them are still in good conditions.

Have anyone done that before? Any issues or concerns?

Last edited by ozX3bimmer; 06-08-2013 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
dealer covered

Picked up screws twice my first 6000 mls. Both times drove to dealer they fixed it, no cost. I didn't ask how it was covered. Thought maybe it was part of the BMW service. Can't say it was caused by the run flats. Does concern me to take a long trip without a spare especially on the Alcan Hwy. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there. These all weather Goodyears did well in ice and snow the first winter. Can't say I like the low profile tires when navigating pot holes in the spring. Sure do run smooth at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbmwx3 View Post
That is a great alternative if I am dressed in my Sunday best. Otherwise I think I could do it quicker than having to wait for them.
I feel like the X3 doesn't have much cargo space hence trying to avoid packing a jack. Putting a spare and jack in there and then trying to pack for 2 adults and 2 kids is going to be a challenge. Might start looking at a cargo box for trips and then pack spare and jack in there.
      06-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I feel like the X3 doesn't have much cargo space hence trying to avoid packing a jack. Putting a spare and jack in there and then trying to pack for 2 adults and 2 kids is going to be a challenge. Might start looking at a cargo box for trips and then pack spare and jack in there.
As I've said previously - it really does come down to individual circumstances. Yes a full size spare does take up a fair bit of space in the back. But in our case there's only the two of us now and there is still sufficient room in the back for our luggage on long trips without even resorting to using the rear seats. I can certainly see that if you have a couple of kids, room would be a problem.

Tony

Last edited by brissim; 06-09-2013 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: as ususal - spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer View Post
I have a stupid question, is it ok if I replace the flat one with a normal non-RFT one, ie three RFTs with one normal tire? If this wasn't a good idea, what about having two pairs, ie two RFTs and two normal ones?

The idea is to progressively switch back to the normal tires, instead of changing them all in one go while the other two or three of them are still in good conditions.

While I don't see a problem with runflats and conventional tyres in pairs on the two axles, its my understanding that you shouldn't mix the tyres on the same axle due to the different tyre weights.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozX3bimmer

No. You should not mix tire types. For one thing, the moment you do that you lose the benefit of RSC as you will need a spare.

Second, the DSC computer may not work as well. You should run this by bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
ozX3bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
No. You should not mix tire types. For one thing, the moment you do that you lose the benefit of RSC as you will need a spare.

Second, the DSC computer may not work as well. You should run this by bmw.
How about having the same type in the same axle and the other type in the other axle, as Tony suggested? Will it work? Thanks.
Appreciate 0