BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Diesel Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve

Had a drivetrain warning come up on main screen and car went into limp mode for about 5 mins then cleared. Been to dealer and it has registered a fault with exhaust gas Recirculation valve. 1 year old and 17000 on the clock. Parts ordered.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Binder737
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0dSE xDrive

My wife's 2012 X3 stalled pulling away uphill from traffic lights. Warning was 'full performance not available,drive moderately,seek service'. The car has 26,000 miles and is less than two years old. EGR valve replaced under warranty by BMW.

BMW service people didn't comment on this failure.

Is this a one off?

It's knocked her confidence as only had the car for 6 months. Previously Honda's which never ever let us down!

X3 F25 2.0 dSe X drive with quite a number of options. first reg April 2012
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The X3 and many other current cars have a lot more features, electrical and mechanical, than cars of yore. The increase in complexity in just the past few years is astonishing. This means that there is a lot to go wrong and that warrantees are good things.

Is the X3 more or less reliable than a Honda? I would guess that, given Honda's focus on reliability with reasonable performance and BMW's focus on performance with reasonable reliability, the Honda is more reliable. However, as with most general statements, your X3 may be much more reliable than someone else's Honda and vice-versa. Our 2011 X3 with a bit over 30K miles, has experienced no issues other than a small hesitation issue cured by a software update. It's really down to luck or lack of it.

I'd say the EGR valve is a one-off problem, not indicative of a systemic issue. BMW engines have a good reputation and there hasn't been a rash of EGR failures reported in the forums.
Appreciate 0