BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Missed checking it when they fixed the sun roof and test drove it for wind noise. Still pulls/drifts to the right. SA is having the service manager contact BMW for possibly covering the cost as the alignment is only a warranty item for the first 1200 miles/2km. Either way, I asked them to check it and fix. So far, I haven't mentioned that there are a few folks on the "intaarwebs" mentioning it as well. I'll get a call from them next week on how much BMW is going to cover on this, and go from there. Once fixed, I'll post up.
What was wrong with your sun roof?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracer View Post
I have the same issue; my service told me that the electronmechanical steering was slightly biased to the right intentionally to prevent the car drifting on to incoming traffic in case of the driver falling asleep or passing out. Anyone heard this from the dealer? It makes sense since the drift is very slightly.
Sounds like BS to my ears.

Mine doesn’t pull, but follows the crown a bit more than my previous generation X3, so if we’re feeling the same thing that would mean that on some roads it will drift TOWARDS oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
What was wrong with your sun roof?
The somewhat complex method of the front panel pulling the second panel from storage ended up with some of the parts breaking and the track getting fouled. New parts were ordered, then the technician that usually deals with sunroof issues was sent down to Los Angeles to learn about the new repair process for X3 sunroofs. He came back, ordered more parts, got the parts, ordered a couple of different parts (color was wrong) and re-assembled the sunroof. Probably took a bit longer (2 weeks) than usual due to getting parts, the different repair process and it being his first fix with the new method(s). Seems to be working fine now, but I haven't had a really hot day since, and I think it was a combination of heat and opening/closing the sun roof that day.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #26
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I'm afraid to use my sunroof. haha.

Reading the many window failure threads, I'm also afraid to use the windows.

Glad you're problem is fixed now.
      09-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #27
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Bump
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control

Last edited by BimmerGuyFL; 10-01-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #28
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Bump
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control

Last edited by BimmerGuyFL; 10-01-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #29
RuckusRy
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDr35i

Quote:
I got the "crown of the road" and "run-flat tires" response initially. I told them that it was noticeable at 60 mph and it didn't matter whether it was new asphalt, old asphalt, or concrete surfaces, but definitely multilane roads. Kind of killed the "crown" part of their dismissal. They still have the car to check for wind noise with the sun roof replacement, so a freeway run is in the works. They'll check for the pull-to-the-right at the same time.

Sorry, but I've been driving for the last 40+ years, and I know about the crown of the road. I know about tires, too. Run-flats would either go left or right, if there's an issue with run-flats, but everyone would have that issue, no? What I can tell you is that you have to be calmly persistent. Will let you know how it goes.
How did this work out for you? I'm experiencing the same thing, since 12 miles on this car its been pulling to the right.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #30
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

The pulling (or drifting) that I've seen on my rig has subsided considerably. I now have 3000 on my rig. I'd say it took until about 1200-1500 for things to settle.

The car does seem to have a more balanced setting to road crown. Depending on the slope, it'll drift right or left, or drive as straight as an arrow.

my other two cars, that seem to be adjusted for road crown seem to drift hard to the left in the left lane.

I've been more cognizant of things lately.

for what it's worth..........
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
RuckusRy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
The pulling (or drifting) that I've seen on my rig has subsided considerably. I now have 3000 on my rig. I'd say it took until about 1200-1500 for things to settle.

The car does seem to have a more balanced setting to road crown. Depending on the slope, it'll drift right or left, or drive as straight as an arrow.

my other two cars, that seem to be adjusted for road crown seem to drift hard to the left in the left lane.

I've been more cognizant of things lately.

for what it's worth..........
Tomorrow will be the 3rd time to the service department. I've got 3,000 miles on my car in the first 6 weeks. I've had a lot of windshield time in my short time on this planet and I'm still skeptical. The road should play into my hands and its just not doing that.

The RSM is coming out tomorrow to look at it, they've taken pictures and acknowledged the issue which i find to be a relief.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #32
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I had my car in yesterday for an with the car drifting to the right with 300 mi on it. They tried swapping tires front to rear & then checked alignment, neither worked. They then said they tried swapping tires on the right side front to back and the drift is now gone. Make me a little nervous about an issue with the tires but it's all documented so if I have a problem later, they should cover it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckusRy View Post
How did this work out for you? I'm experiencing the same thing, since 12 miles on this car its been pulling to the right.
Since the warranty for the front end alignment is 1200 miles/2000 km, I was past this warranty interval. Paid for a front-end alignment after the shop foreman confirmed it was pulling to the right. One day later I'm calling to say it's not fixed. There may have been some improvement, but I can't say there's much, and it's still pulling to the right. After a discussion with the SA, agreed to bring it in when the towing package is available and have both done at the same time.
Went in today. Towing package was ordered today, but won't arrive until next week. No work done, but the shop foreman did another test drive and confirmed that it's still not right.
After they did the alignment a couple of weeks ago, the sheet that was attached to the work order showed the before/after settings of the alignment. Unfortunately, the shop tech didn't save the initial settings before any adjustment was made, so the report shows the left front and right rear adjustments being within spec, that is to say, both before and after settings were within spec. If any of you get the alignment done, take a look at that sheet and if it doesn't show any real correction, ask about that.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
I had my car in yesterday for an with the car drifting to the right with 300 mi on it. They tried swapping tires front to rear & then checked alignment, neither worked. They then said they tried swapping tires on the right side front to back and the drift is now gone. Make me a little nervous about an issue with the tires but it's all documented so if I have a problem later, they should cover it.

Did you or anyone at the dealership check the tire pressures? Did the service tech adjust the tire pressures when they exchanged the front and rear tires?

For most of the X3 OEM tire configurations (except the 225/60R17 tires), the pressures should be higher for the rear tires. Most dealerships don't seem to pay any attention to that and have been known to typically deliver X3s with tire pressures all over the map. For the 245/50R18s, 35F and 38R work pretty well.

It's such an easy thing to check, and is often completely overlooked. A left/right difference could certainly create a steering bias.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #35
RuckusRy
Rep

Quote:
Since the warranty for the front end alignment is 1200 miles/2000 km, I was past this warranty interval. Paid for a front-end alignment after the shop foreman confirmed it was pulling to the right. One day later I'm calling to say it's not fixed. There may have been some improvement, but I can't say there's much, and it's still pulling to the right. After a discussion with the SA, agreed to bring it in when the towing package is available and have both done at the same time.
Went in today. Towing package was ordered today, but won't arrive until next week. No work done, but the shop foreman did another test drive and confirmed that it's still not right.
After they did the alignment a couple of weeks ago, the sheet that was attached to the work order showed the before/after settings of the alignment. Unfortunately, the shop tech didn't save the initial settings before any adjustment was made, so the report shows the left front and right rear adjustments being within spec, that is to say, both before and after settings were within spec. If any of you get the alignment done, take a look at that sheet and if it doesn't show any real correction, ask about that.
My alignment figures were grossly off on the initial alignment (800 mi); after the corrections were made within all tolerance levels; I drove it off and gave it a few days to see how I settled into the new handling. The 405 freeway offers lots of varying grades and crowns to the road. After a week, I decided to contact the dealership again and schedule another alignment. At first the SA was very skeptical and started rambling off reasons why i was experiencing this.

This is my first BMW; my first german car for that matter. I've been partial to Lexus and Infiniti because every experience has been so positive. Everybody in my family is shocked that I am having this experience because this is not the BMW experience they have.

Another concern I shared with my SA and I urge you to do the same, is how this innate misalignment has worn your tires. Lets not forget that after 3,000 miles of making a left turn I've probably worn my tires wrong and expect BMW to make good on this expendable item as well.

They are waiting for parts, so I am still driving my car. Next week, they expect the new parts to come in. I just want my car to drive straight. For $52,000; i expect it to drive straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
RuckusRy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Did you or anyone at the dealership check the tire pressures? Did the service tech adjust the tire pressures when they exchanged the front and rear tires?

For most of the X3 OEM tire configurations (except the 225/60R17 tires), the pressures should be higher for the rear tires. Most dealerships don't seem to pay any attention to that and have been known to typically deliver X3s with tire pressures all over the map. For the 245/50R18s, 35F and 38R work pretty well.

It's such an easy thing to check, and is often completely overlooked. A left/right difference could certainly create a steering bias.
The alignment reports that I have received all reflect tire pressures to spec, measured vs actual. The rear being 1 PSI higher.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post

On my car with 245/50 18 the advice is 2.0 / 2.0 bar which is 29 PSI. I'm running 2.2bar / 32 PSI currently. Sounds like I should experiment with some more air.
      10-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckusRy View Post
The alignment reports that I have received all reflect tire pressures to spec, measured vs actual. The rear being 1 PSI higher.
My drivers door jam has two stickers for tire (245/50 R18) pressure.
First one is 32F/35R - Normal operation
Second is 38F/44R - When expected sustained speeds exceed 100MPH.

I would go with the door sticker(s). Different tire/wheel combinations are available that would make a generic pressure listing questionable. Mine are 3lbs different, front to rear.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #39
charlie k
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 X35i

it's charlie K with up date!!! junk,junk,junk. As you can tell my problem has gotten much worse. My right wheel now sticks out 3" past the body. I can no longer drive the car.milage now 9.ooo Bmw just runs you around. They dont care. Thay want you to give up and dump the car for a loss( not going to happen ). see them in court first!!!. This is my first BMW list price 58.000 No more BMW for me.This is just one issue with this car. too many to address each one. Oh ! Yes .my turn signels wont turn off now. I hope that you people have better luck than me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #40
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

pics of the wheel? that doesn't even sound plausible that wheel could be so far out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #41
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

They worked on the alignment issue yesterday. They swapped the front tires (left-to-right and right-to-left) and it's not happening with the same "intensity". Doesn't pull all time, but it's still there. I'm waiting to let the tires wear in a bit and see if it doesn't come back to the stronger pull.

About 40 years ago my dad bought a Bavaria (E35?) and it had the same issue, but also had asymmetrical tires, and the pull to the right went away for good with that tire swap. Dad was incredulous over that fix when they told him, but turned out it was what it took. So, while I'm skeptical that the tire-swap is the fix, I'll let it pan out a bit.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #42
charlie k
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 X35i

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsa View Post
pics of the wheel? that doesn't even sound plausible that wheel could be so far out of spec.
car being towed. yes it's true.the wheel sticks out. this car is in lemon law for past 4 months. BMW says out side forces has caused the right wheel sup. to be bent .not a mark under the car. just dust. go figure this has been a problem since day one. hope you have better luck !!
Appreciate 0