BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Picked up my new X3 35i today...

and everything went well until I realized that BMW Apps did not appear to be installed. Grrr... It was on my order and I spoke to the CA who is going to contact BMW on what needs to be done. The CA that handled this is not the same CA that placed my order (original CA is very ill) - but still, it obviously wasn't checked, unless I'm missing something. There should be an "Apps" selection under ConnectedDrive, right?

I'm not all that thrilled about this and not sure how they are going to rectify it. Does anyone know if it's just a software update? If this can't be resolved, I'm thinking about returning it. I really did want to have Pandora in the car along with some of the other stuff. I know I can stream through Bluetooth, but that's not what I intended.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

JSY, you're correct. The "apps" option should be within the ConnectedDrive option. As for adding this as a software update to correct....not sure. The BMW Apps was not an option when I ordered my X3 (Feb 2011) and subsequently asked for an update.....was told it wasn't an option.

So, I'd be curious to know how your situation pans out. If software update is possible, I'll be chasing my dealership again!

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
I will definitely let you know. From what I've been reading, it sounds like maybe the X3s that are being made now have the Apps software already in there and it needs an activation code. I seem to have all the necessary parts that Apps would require so hopefully it can be turned on. If it can't be turned on, or they can't do anything about it - the car may go back unless a huge concession can be made.

I really want to listen to Pandora and internet radio via the apps and I know people will laugh at me to put so much value into BMW Apps, but it one one of the features that I really wanted.

Shoot, I'm looking at the original car order - the pink sheet - and my original CA listed BMW Apps as the first item. ARRGH!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I doubt anyone would laugh at your requirements, particularly since you paid the $300 for the option! You should be getting it if you paid for it!
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
It is *possible* that they may be able to rectify this via a software update. Even though it was not available pre-March 2011, the new hardware standard build may have everything needed but the loaded software. That would be nice.

If not, hold your position and insist they provide it to you. Then, we'll find out what is really required, like a new head unit, etc. Or perhaps they will say "no can do, it's a completely different system" - which I doubt because that just doesn't seem cost effective for manufacturing.

This is crap that should be STANDARD on a BMW anyway (most Hyundai's and Kia's have it for crying out loud), so don't settle for just "oh, our bad... here's your $300 back". That is what they will try to do first because it is easy and effortless. And lazy salesmen like easy and effortless.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
This is crap that should be STANDARD on a BMW anyway (most Hyundai's and Kia's have it for crying out loud), so don't settle for just "oh, our bad... here's your $300 back". That is what they will try to do first because it is easy and effortless. And lazy salesmen like easy and effortless.
      02-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

If I remember correctly. X3s built after 4/11 have something called a combox. This is what is essential for BMW apps. If you have this, I think it will require only a software upgrade. If you came in wanting this as a retrofit, probably 3-4 times cost of original option. In your case, I'll bet they can do it, especially if the alternative is ordering you a new car. I would absolutely stand firm and not accept the car without it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the responses all. I am definitely going to stand firm that this is resolved. I really don't want to be compensated back - I really want the option I ordered so they need to fix this. He's going to get back to me tomorrow so I'll see what he finds out. If he says it's not possible then I think I will have no choice but to return it and have then order a new car. I'm getting attached to this car already so I'm hoping that wouldn't be the case. I'm hoping it's just a software update or activation.

I agree - it should be standard!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Best of luck. Post the results here - I'm sure others will be interested in the outcome.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I have had 6NR retrofitted to my X3 which came without it (ordered before it was available in Oct '10). There's no guarantee that yours will require the same action but it was more than just software in my case I'm afraid. You need a new AV port, extra wiring from the armrest to the head unit (carries the video signal) and you also need to switch a port on the combox. After that the rest is all coding. There is no official accessory or retrofit for 6NR, only third parties so you probably can't get this done by BMW.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
I have had 6NR retrofitted to my X3 which came without it (ordered before it was available in Oct '10). There's no guarantee that yours will require the same action but it was more than just software in my case I'm afraid. You need a new AV port, extra wiring from the armrest to the head unit (carries the video signal) and you also need to switch a port on the combox. After that the rest is all coding. There is no official accessory or retrofit for 6NR, only third parties so you probably can't get this done by BMW.
I think that is the case for pre April 2011 builds. I think it's easier for builds after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I think that is the case for pre April 2011 builds. I think it's easier for builds after that.
Ah, maybe, although a prerequisite for my upgrade was to get the latest iDrive software (post April 2011 - I think it was July/August 2011). All of the other work described still had to be applied after this software update. Depends whether they started wiring for AV on all models post April 2011 regardless of 6NR and then if you spec'ed 6NR they could just switch it on. I hear digital radio (DAB in the UK) is like that. All these options you didn't pay for just sitting there waiting to be activated

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548623

If they can do it, I bet BMW can. I would by no means pay for this, but we know it's possible, and while BMW might not do it for the regular person, they might do it to correct their error and prevent having to order a new vehicle. THe fact that you have your original order in writing is quite helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Missing BMW Apps

No real word yet back from the CA. He told me today that he couldn't get through to anyone today it being Saturday - so he'll pick it up on Monday.. and oh, by the way - Go Giants! (WTF)

Yesterday I told him that if this can't be remedied, I need to resolve this immediately as I will need to return the car and order a new one. He said he understood my frustration and that he wasn't hearing good news but he was checking with everyone and is exhausting all options to figure this out. He wanted me to know that he is taking this very seriously and is pursuing this.

I've sent notes to BMW Customer Relations and as well via priority email just to see if they'll send me canned responses. I hate to have to return this car as I really like it but I can't possibly keep this car without the options I ordered. I wish I had realized that BMW Apps was missing on pickup - but I didn't think to check ConnectedDrive for it, etc. I swear I did make a comment about it to the fella that was demo'ing the features and he mumbled something about probably BMW Assist helping out with that. (? - not)

Thanks for that link Fryguy29 - it just seems nonsensical for them not to be able to do this. I really can't figure it out. I should be in a happy moment with my car but it's bittersweet.
Attached Images

Last edited by JSY; 02-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Added a picture of my bittersweet ride.. :-/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I just got my X3 here in Italy, mine was (I don't know exactly the term in english) in the dealer stock, so ready to be put on the road and not to be ordered. The car was built late 2011 and had the majority of optionals and accessories I wanted, BUT the apps.

I decided to go for it as it was ready, without having to wait about three months to get one by order and asked the dealer if he could add the apps. Apparently for that dealer this was not feasible.

I didn't give up on this and looked around, finding a guy (in Italy, but quite far from where I live) who codes the apps and other goodies in for few bucks.

I'll be going again to the dealer checking if he can do it, otherwise I'll go for the "unofficial" way.

Will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
A little update.. The dealer has apparently exhausted all of his options to tell me that (as many of you have heard) he wasn't able to find any way to have this added to the car at this point. He said he knows that the last thing I want to hear is that they would credit me back the option cost. I sent a note back to him that I won't keep the car without the option. Either they credit me back with enough $$$ to retrofit it or let me know of the steps to return the car (has 100mls on it now..). He let me know this morning that he's waiting for word from his manager to see what can be done.

So, what most of you have heard from your dealer has been voiced here too. I'm not happy of course. Even though this is my third X3, each pickup of a new car is supposed to be a happy time for me and this experience has been less than desirable. :-/

Thanks for the info Alligator69 - would like to hear if you hear otherwise as well, and what route you end up taking.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
JSY, when I ordered my X3 the dealer screwed up and it came in without Premium Sound which I had ordered. I told them that it wasn't acceptable and they agreed and bent over backwards to make me happy. They let me keep the X3 that came in without the premium sound as a loaner and put in another order for a new one for me. I had the loaner X3 for 6 weeks while I waited for the second one to come in. They also paid for all my gas fill ups during that time! It turned the whole experience around for me and now I would highly recommend them to anyone who asks. Push for your dealer to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Okay, more of an update here. Like I had said earlier, the CA's attempt at trying to find out if this can be retrofitted came up empty. In addition, BMW Customer Relations contacted me to tell me that there is no retrofit for BMW Apps available. So as it stands now, all the answers I have received is that BMW will not retrofit this to the car. Makes little sense to me, but oh well.

That being said, the dealer has offered to pay for a 3rd party retrofit of this. I am considering taking them up on this.

Want the thrill, I actually mentioned your scenario to them. LOL I didn't get a reaction from them but I may be okay with they paying for a retrofit. Otherwise I think your way is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Okay, more of an update here. Like I had said earlier, the CA's attempt at trying to find out if this can be retrofitted came up empty. In addition, BMW Customer Relations contacted me to tell me that there is no retrofit for BMW Apps available. So as it stands now, all the answers I have received is that BMW will not retrofit this to the car. Makes little sense to me, but oh well.

That being said, the dealer has offered to pay for a 3rd party retrofit of this. I am considering taking them up on this.

Want the thrill, I actually mentioned your scenario to them. LOL I didn't get a reaction from them but I may be okay with they paying for a retrofit. Otherwise I think your way is the way to go.
i wouldn't get a retrofit by a third party. who knows what will happen to your warranty if something screwy happens. i can see BMW NA saying "sorry." I'd demand a new car.

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Certainly a valid point!! One thing I find attractive with the retrofit that has been listed above is the capability to use the white cable as opposed to a cradle to get the iPhone plug-in UI on the screen. But you bring up a very good point.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
txcwgirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

JSY, I'm sorry about the problems you are having but I'm glad you brought it up. I will be verfiying the Apps before I take delivery of my new X3. I agree with the others that they need to order you the car you ordered, if it is on the purcase request then it needs to be on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
I do agree. I am going to look at how involved a retrofit would be however. It sounds like a wire has to be connected and the rest would be activation since I have the hardware installed and I am curious. I'll figure out which path I want to go when it's a little clearer to me and what I feel comfortable with. But yes, by all means if there is an inkling of me feeling not right, then they will reorder the car.

Caveat for anyone ordering an option that is not readily visible - be sure to check it out!!
Appreciate 0