BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Road&Track Blurb about new M's in March - Geneva

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/bmw-to-...eup-in-geneva/

looks like some new M's coming out in 2 months....

as to whether or not the X3M will be on the list, if R&T knows, they aren't posting it yet.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
http://blog.roadandtrack.com/bmw-to-...eup-in-geneva/

looks like some new M's coming out in 2 months....

as to whether or not the X3M will be on the list, if R&T knows, they aren't posting it yet.....
These are not true M cars, but cars that are "in-between" regular series cars and the M cars.

It's like "M-Sport" (appearance packages). Now there will be "M Performance" vehicles.

The X3M should be a true M vehicle.
      01-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
The X3M should be a true M vehicle.
Hahaha, yeah that's a good one. There's so much "motorsport" heritage in the X3.

Actually, it will be a "true" m car - considering the modern use for the M division is strictly marketing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Hahaha, yeah that's a good one. There's so much "motorsport" heritage in the X3.

Actually, it will be a "true" m car - considering the modern use for the M division is strictly marketing.
I was trying to distinguish between "what's currently marketed as an M vehicle" ('guess that's a better descriptor) and this new line of new M-badged cars, which are making enthusiasts cry foul even louder.

I don't like it either.
      01-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think the M6 will make its debut at Geneva. ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post

you are joking right? Heritage? Everything has to start somewhere, you could say the M5 shouldn't be built, only a M3 should be, in fact only an M1 should be built since thats what started it all... BMW is a company, companies need to keep growing, expanding their lineup is the best way to do so. Have you driven an X5M or X6M? if not, don't knock them or any future SUVs for not being Ms because they are not "traditional" they would run circles around old M3s
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
you are joking right? Heritage? Everything has to start somewhere, you could say the M5 shouldn't be built, only a M3 should be, in fact only an M1 should be built since thats what started it all... BMW is a company, companies need to keep growing, expanding their lineup is the best way to do so. Have you driven an X5M or X6M? if not, don't knock them or any future SUVs for not being Ms because they are not "traditional" they would run circles around old M3s
Nope not joking, saying there "needs" to be a "true" M version of the x3 just struck me as funny.

M was for bespoke parts - now not so much. The brand gets diluted once every model starts using the same engine/trans, etc. But, you are correct and they can do whatever they see fit.

Yes, I've driven the x5m - hated it. Too big, too heavy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

BMW PURISTS WILL NEVER consider a X5M,X6M, X3M, X1M a true M. Although they are not coupes or sedans they still handle like they are on rails. Talk to anyone that has driven a X5M around a track. Indeed it's no 1M or M3 but regardless a 550hp twin turbo 8cyl still is fun for what it is and handles GREAT. I am 100% down with owning a X1M or X3M as i like smaller vehicles and ones especially that i can put my 3 dogz, my 2 kids, all my percussion instruments in when i have gigs or rehersals.. back up to my studio,it's as easy as openning the rear hatch loading in and that's saul..easy!!!!!! and ALL the versatility a vehicle like this has.GETTING TO THE BACKSEAT OF MY 135I COUPE IS HORRIBLE for DD.XM's will even go through the snow without an issue with the right tires on it.. my DD will be a XM of sort in the near future or when i can afford it...Hopefully BMW will have the balls to release the X3M or the X1M with a manual and 400 +hp and 370 TQ in the X3M...looking forward to these cars anxiously BRING IT ON BMW.

Last edited by IZAGLO; 01-18-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO
BMW PURISTS WILL NEVER consider a X5M,X6M, X3M, X1M a true M. Although they are not coupes or sedans they still handle like they are on rails. Talk to anyone that has driven a X5M around a track. Indeed it's no 1M or M3 but regardless a 550hp twin turbo 8cyl still is fun for what it is and handles GREAT. I am 100% down with owning a X1M or X3M as i like smaller vehicles and ones especially that i can put my 3 dogz, my 2 kids, all my percussion instruments in when i have gigs or rehersals.. back up to my studio,it's as easy as openning the rear hatch loading in and that's saul..easy!!!!!! and ALL the versatility a vehicle like this has.GETTING TO THE BACKSEAT OF MY 135I COUPE IS HORRIBLE for DD.XM's will even go through the snow without an issue with the right tires on it.. my DD will be a XM of sort in the near future or when i can afford it...Hopefully BMW will have the balls to release the X3M or the X1M with a manual and 400 +hp and 370 TQ in the X3M...looking forward to these cars anxiously BRING IT ON BMW.
Izaglo, you sound just like me...a drummer who owned a 135i and upgraded to an x3 for practicality's sake. And i too would likely be in the the market for the x3m once it is released. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

COOL ^^^^^^^^When i was younger had my instruments and music studio on the 3rd floor of the house i built...What a constant bummer moving my shit..(drummers no) up and down. Built a music studio(heated/AC) detached from the house out in the woods and can back up right next to the door...it's GREAT !! My Honda 05 CRV has 161,000 miles on it and has served me well but with my daughter driving in a few months, and my wife, son,..my 2 car day's are numberd and the 135i will not cut it for my DD ..Need AWD and something big enough to put my instruments in so...X1M or X3M is my next car..Looked at the new Jeep SRT 2012 the other day in Black...pretty nice too... BIG though...i like small as my first option but who know's...but no manual. I hope BMW gives us an option...are you listening BMW