BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Steve K NJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0

control arm bushing 2005 x3

My local and reputable repair shop has always qouted the minimum repair, rather than build it up uneccessarly. Thats why I've been using him for the past couple of years. Recently he suggested i replace the bushings, when i window shopped to justify his quote I heard something new.
I was told that the 2005 had weak control arms, and if he was to repair the bushings he recomended new control arms, ball jopints and bushings. Probably twice the price of the bushing repair alone.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Rodentmaster
Rep
Drives: .....pending

Front or rear?
Fronts, I went and replaced the lower arms and control arm ball joints last year.
Definitely easier to acquire the complete arms.....replacing the bushes would not be a trivial exercise.
Rears?..while they look fragile, the lowers can have the bushes replaced with relative ease but the rear upper arms are far more labour intensive as the spring and shock absorber need to be unloaded and sway bar link disconnected to allow for the upper arm to be removed. The inner bush can be easily pressed out and in once the arm is on the bench. Upper bush/ball joint in rear hub assy is tricky to replace as the rubber booys acan be easily damaged while pressing in or out of the hub body.
The most under-rated improvement I found was replacing the steering rack tie rods - inners and outers.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Steve K NJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3 3.0

Front. The big decision is to spend $400 on bushings alone or $800 on the complete set control arms, ball joints and bushings. The only reason I am curious is that someone mentioned that without the full set the bushings will have a limited life. Bottom line so to speak is : should I trust my mechanic who has over the last few years demonstrated only repairing what needs to be addressed as opposed to a relative starnger who specializes in BMW for the larger job.
Appreciate 0