BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
itstimeforbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Need advice on X3

Guys - I have an offer from a dealer on a 2011 X3 28i for $40,150 + Tax + tags. Cold weather package + Premium package on it. This was a demo car driven already 1500 miles. I checked Carfax and I could not see any report on it.

Is it a OK deal ?
Should I be concerned in buying a demo car?
Does X3 28i have recall ? or Other issues that I need to be worrying about?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Edmunds lists the True Market Value for a new X3 with those options as $40,100 (MSRP of $42,225)... maybe the one you are looking at has some other add-ons as well.

If not, $40,150 doesn't seem like a good price, especially for a demo. I don't have any firsthand experience with demos, but it usually either means that a dealership higher-up drove it, it was a test-drive car, or it was BMW USA employee demo. Either way, I would be a bit wary because whoever had it probably knew it would only be for the short term, and as such could have beat on it. Maybe they didn't and maybe it doesn't really matter anyway.

Regardless, I would be hoping for a much better deal on a demo if Edmunds is saying you should be able to get a new one for the same price.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
itstimeforbmw
Registered
Rep

Thanks for your reply, makes sense. But from the x3 point of view, how come carfax report doesn't show anything on this new car ? Also do you remember any recalls ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
Edmunds lists the True Market Value for a new X3 with those options as $40,100 (MSRP of $42,225)... maybe the one you are looking at has some other add-ons as well.

If not, $40,150 doesn't seem like a good price, especially for a demo. I don't have any firsthand experience with demos, but it usually either means that a dealership higher-up drove it, it was a test-drive car, or it was BMW USA employee demo. Either way, I would be a bit wary because whoever had it probably knew it would only be for the short term, and as such could have beat on it. Maybe they didn't and maybe it doesn't really matter anyway.

Regardless, I would be hoping for a much better deal on a demo if Edmunds is saying you should be able to get a new one for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Doesn't really seem like that great a price, considering the demo status. But the bottom line is whether you'd be satisfied to pay it, and if you like the vehicle. It's not a "rip off" but not exactly a "priced to sell" deal either.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I agree, $40,150 isn't a good price for a car with 1,500 miles and only those 2 options. Look to see if there is any other options, but IMHO I don't think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
itstimeforbmw
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone.

what if I can get this one for $38550, do you think this is worth it ? Just trying to see..and I am a first time BMW buyer, so little scared.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Buying a demo with 1500 miles is not a bad way to go... it is usually salesman and test drive mileage. The latter can be a bit like rental car miles, but doubtful anyone has abused it.

A couple of questions are: Are you settling for it because it's sitting in inventory? Does it have all the options you would want? Is it a color you like, etc.

Do you feel the price is fair? Are they maybe over-allowing for a trade-in that might offset the lack of deep discount on the X3?

Will they agree to throw in some extras, like a full detailing, some floor mats, sunshade, etc.?

In the end all that counts is that you drive away happy. Don't let anyone here or elsewhere put pressure on you or try to make you feel bad that you didn't get as good a deal as THEY would have.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
itstimeforbmw
Registered
Rep

Hmm....Thank you.

I think I can get this one for $38550 and with taxes and tags around $41k. I am not trading in. They have told me they will do a good detail work and deliver the car. I am going to miss 6 months of warrenty because it was a demo car for 5 months already. So I will have warrenty for 3 and half years, probably.

I love the look and its great white color. The only concern is, what if after i purchase I realize it had issues, I do not want to pay from my pocket, does my warrently cover it ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Warranty covers everything for four years. But I'd ask them to throw in an extended warranty to cover the additional six months. Minimum cost to them, peace of mind for you.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If I drove that demo car there's a real good chance I didn't follow the break-in restrictions.

I'd ask yourself what's driving you on this purchase? Is it price? If it is, you can probably get another car that will "get you by" on your major requirements and cost a whole lot less. It won't deliver they way a BMW does, but it'll get you by.

If it's not price, then I'd say you should ask yourself, "Why this car?" If you like BMW and the X3 and you'll enjoy having such a car (vice just a point A to B vehicle), then after you experience it you might be disappointed having settled for what was there. If you really dig it, order one. Pick everything you want and don't want. If negotiating bums you out (it does me, I do it for a living and can't stand to on a car) use a buying service vice buying the demo.

Lastly I'd suggest considering what the incentives are for a dealer selling a demo. None come to mind that favor the buyer. If they're "dealing" on it, why? Why would they unload their demo. X3s aren't falling off trees lately. A demo tends to sell custom order cars (I think).

Wouldn't work for me. Don't me to rain on your parade, only to give a perspective to consider.
      07-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

If you can get it for $38,550 and you like the X3 and it's options seems like a good deal to me. 1,500 miles is nothing to worry about plus you sill have a great warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Ask them to throw in a free oil change. It is past break-in miles and you don't know what sort of miles those have been.

Appreciate 0