BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
jarc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive35i

Turbosmart VR9 BOV "Jammed closed" error

Hi, I have a 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i, with N55/turbo. I am running a JB4 tune (map 1), along with a burger cold air intake, 1-step colder spark plugs, VSRF intercooler, and an FTP charge pipe.

Because of all that ^^ I was getting a drive train failure and "blowoff valve" error codes, so I upgraded to the TurboSmart Kompact EM BOV VR9 Dual Port BOV.

Things have improved for sure, but I can still get a drivetrain failure and a "Blowoff valve jammed closed" error code if I push hard enough (got one today in fact, passing someone).

From the specs of the VR9 and my current upgrades, I really don't expect to be getting this behavior. In fact I upgraded in order to fix this behavior, heh. Hoping someone maybe has some insight into what the problem might be? Did I get a defective BOV? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
martinisounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 X3 M Sport

Hey, I also have the same BV and have had no issues with error codes related to the BOV. I have occassionally had issues with possible boost leak from my charge pipe causing a drive train malfunction error. Enough i have to pull over, turn off and on again to continue normally. Maybe look for possible leaks?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:05 PM   #3
jarc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive35i

Thanks, I recently had to replace the exhaust resonator. It appears that whoever owned this X3 before me hacked on the wrong size, perhaps from a BMW 3-series. I replaced with the correct size (fixed some annoying sound issues at high speeds) and I have not had a problem with the BOV since. No idea if/how that could be related, but so far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 11:52 PM   #4
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Throw the JB4 in the bin and put a MHD or BM3 proper flash tune on it to start with. If the error is still there after that, start looking in to other things.
Appreciate 0