BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Winter wheels much quieter than summer wheels.

Am I imagining it.

I have just put on new 17 inch Winter Wheels with Pirelli tyres (from BMW) and there is noticably less road noise than the 19 inch staggered wheels with Pirelli tyres (8000 miles).

The 19 inch wheels wern't noisy, it's just that the 17 inch wheels are quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
because you have more rubber around 17" rim
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I've noticed exactly the same, changed mine last Monday, getting a couple of extra mpg as well.
Don't mind the 17s just for the Winter as its dark most of the time anyway. They don't look as bad as I thought they would and its full of hills where I live anyway, so roll on the snow!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy577 View Post
so roll on the snow!!

I only got them for driving in Europe as I'm down south and we get snow maybe once a year but now I (selfishly) want a deluge!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The price we pay for low profile tyres.

Cost, ride quality, noise levels, mpg, all because of "fashion over form".

NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) is greatly affected by how much rubber we have between us and the road.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
rodneychan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) is greatly affected by how much rubber we have between us and the road.

HighlandPete

I notice that as well.. much quiter.I put on the 17" as well..

Just wonder is the front caliper close to the rim..? mine looks like only 2-3mm left..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

If they are OEM and as listed for your model, yes the clearance is OK.

You can check for yourself on RealOEM, put in your 7 last digits from your VIN number and look at the wheel options.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

I've got a set of 17" winter wheels for my 535i, those will be a tight fit around the brakes, they are the BMW OEM option and listed for the model. I'll probably see the same close fit when I fit them in a few days.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
Very true. After my last car (Audi A3 Black Edition) I promised myself I'd stay clear of low profile wheels. Spent the whole time worrying I'd kerb them (they were titanium colour also which made it even worse) and the ride was horrendous.

OK they don't look as good but I'm quite happy with my standard 17's. Very comfortable and almost impossible to kerb.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

Actually don't mind the ride quality even with the 19's. I previously had a sports suspension A4, my whole family and myself were all sick of the ride.

Then I had a test drive of the Q5 and was amazed when the saleswoman said it was normal suspension and not Sports Suspension as it was so harsh.

Eventually bought the X3 with the Variable Dampers and am very happy now.

Must be just getting old, all about comfort.

One funny thing is I've just took my Wife's car to the garage for a week to get some paint repairs done under warranty VW Touran and they have supplied us with an A1 Sport, it has the most ridiculous low profile tyres I've ever seen and is literally like riding a rock. The only good thing is I've enjoyed blasting around in it a bit and pretending I'm a boy racer, it is white with orange bits around the spoiler, and a big number 1 on the side so I've seen a few laughs from people when I've drove it around a bit. Lol.

Looks like this
http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AET...43929632_1.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy577 View Post
Eventually bought the X3 with the Variable Dampers and am very happy now.

Must be just getting old, all about comfort.
Same here for a bit of comfort. I've got Adaptive Drive in my F11 535i, plus running sensible 18" summer wheels, even on the M-sport. 17" wheels for winter driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

May well just be newer. Last Spring when I swapped out the Winters for the new staggered summer Pirelli's, they were much quieter. Going to new Winters a few weeks back, much quieter than those same summers. All the same aspect ration and diameter.
      11-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #12
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Am I imagining it.

I have just put on new 17 inch Winter Wheels with Pirelli tyres (from BMW) and there is noticably less road noise than the 19 inch staggered wheels with Pirelli tyres (8000 miles).

The 19 inch wheels wern't noisy, it's just that the 17 inch wheels are quiet.
interesting to read - I have exactly the same summer and winter tyres and planing to change over week-end into winter shoes ... the 19 staggered are not too bad (3000 km on them) will see how much quiter sottozero's are. BTW, I noticed this also on my ex 5 serries - summer 17 bridgestone were noisier than first generation sottozero's. but on 5 summer tyres were run flats and winter tyres were standard, so I attributed noise to rft. now on x3 both summer and winter are rft
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
TheUrbanCowboy
Rep
Drives: BMW F25

I also have the same issue. I have P7 on 19" in summer and Dunlop 4D on 17" in winter and the noise difference is pretty big, especially when doing 90-100 mph when I am on business travel.

What is freaking me out is not the noise level per se (could be quieter) but the story around that when I ordered the X3 for our company. The sales lady was really making an effort to persuade me to buy an X5. Given my already stretched budget I would have probably had to order one with plastic BBQ seats and no headlights. She used several arguments to discourage me from buying an X3. The first was the "look" of the plastic dashboard on the passenger side. I agree a little with that. The second was about how BMW intentionally used thinner sound protection from the engine and the wheels in the "3 range" (X3, 3 series) to persuade people to buy the "5 range" (X5, 5 series). She adviced me not to take tires wider than 245 for the X3 because they are going to be loud. And that's what I have now.

Those arguments did not go down well, to be honest. They are a fair way of marketing, but WTF (!) the company spent 60.000€ on a car. That's not peanuts! After all, BMW is a premium brand with premium prices, irrespective of whether that's a 114i or a 760iL!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Mine get fitted next week, and so I too will be praying for snow - get to drive over Dartmoor sometimes, otherwise its a bit of overkill down here.

Will be interested in the noise. Will update next week.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUrbanCowboy View Post
I also have the same issue. I have P7 on 19" in summer and Dunlop 4D on 17" in winter and the noise difference is pretty big, especially when doing 90-100 mph when I am on business travel........

What is freaking me out is not the noise level per se (could be quieter) but the story around that when I ordered the X3 for our company........

Those arguments did not go down well, to be honest.......
Sounds to me she was being totally frank and honest. She is right, I've been around BMW long enough to know not all BMWs are equal.

Was discussing this very subject with a BMW Technical Manager a couple of years back. BMW used to pride themselves back in the 1970's that BMW were the same build quality, whether 3-series or 7-series, I remember reading it in their blurb. But these days, as he explained "BMW are no longer the same sausage, different skin". Models are now build for different markets, different competition sectors, etc., so will have variations in build specifications.

I've just gone back to a 5-series, 3-series cars just aren't in the same league. It is the finer details which give the 5-series that better quality feel and finish. 3-series may be near it in some areas, with the same components, but that is not all that makes the car a bit special, even within the premium sector. Even something like the extra rubber seal around the 5-series tailgate, and around the bonnet, gives that finer finishing detail and enhances the luxury feel when driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

mine's going back on next week... roll on the snow in Berkshire i say!
      11-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
Fitted mine on Monday, been down to -5C and freezing temperatures most days this week.

Snow line is creeping down, we may have some tomorrow, even at low levels.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
+1!!

None forecast this weekend and then milder by middle of next week. Miniscule chance of a sprinkling of snow early Sat morning. Am taking mine skiing this winter so my winter tyres will actually be needed for at least a week!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0