BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
exilio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d

Putting in my order this week...looking back would you do anything differently?

I'm about to take the plunge and put in my order for an xDrive 28i. I am really excited but wanted to temper that excitement with the experience other buyers have had when ordering their X3.

Looking back, what, if anything, would you change about your X3 purchase? Options you got you never use. Options you wish you had . Colors or trims that were great or lame. Any advice is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

28i? At a minimum, order the Lighting Package. Otherwise you will get base Halogen headlights, not Xenons. Consider upgrading to the LEDs.

What is on your list already?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
exilio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
28i? At a minimum, order the Lighting Package. Otherwise you will get base Halogen headlights, not Xenons. Consider upgrading to the LEDs.

What is on your list already?
This is my order thoughts so far:

- 2016 X3 xDrive28i (35i more than I want to spend, 28d, the gas mileage is nice, but the trade-offs aren't worth it to me.)

- M Sport line

- 20" M Style 310 wheels

- Color, can't decide...Space Gray or Carbon Black (my current car is just a shade lighter than Space Gray...I love the color but contemplating a change.)

- Interior Color: Leaning towards black, but interested in Mocha...haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

- Trim: Anthracite wood trim.

- Dynamic Handling Package

- Driver Assistance Package (required but I'd likely have got anyway)

- ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant (required)

- Adaptive full LED Lights

- Technology Package

- Harman Kardon Audio

- Heated Front Seats

$56,420 MSRP
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you do not get the Premium Package, you do not get the adjustable lumbar supports in the seats, even though you get the sport seats with the M Sport package. Just one of the oddities of BMW's package configurations that even the dealer was clueless about.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

folding mirrors ? I thought it was standard on any X3.....
      08-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

As already mentioned, the Xenon lights.. For some reason BMW thinks its appropriate to put halogens on a brand new 55k luxury suv. $900 and you're good to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I went with the Xenons, and they adjust when you turn. Weird the first time I really noticed it while driving in the fog. Or at least mine did in my package.

The Xenons were an upgrade from my previous car, and since I was already spending thousands more than my budget, I couldn't warrant going to the LED.

I never test drove an M Sport, with it's improved shocks. I was worried that they would be that much better, and I worried about the extra expense and future replacement costs. And I was happy with the handling of the base suspension. And am still happy.

I like the rear view camera. And the automatic cruise control option. The ACC (and pedestrian detection) has "failed" several times since I've got the car. Heavy rain. Freezing rain. It disables it until dries off or melts. Makes me suspicious how reliable self driving cars will be in the future.

I understand the 16 has improved the smartphone integration. That the main additional purchase is the add on for the phone in the center compartment. Which I don't use anyway since you would have to buy adapters for every phone you buy during the time you have the car. The phone can't be in the case. So too much hassle.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

The number one option I would have over my existing spec is adaptive suspension. This is of course a subjective thing and the standard spec suspension in the US might be fine. For me and for the roads I drive on in the UK, the sports suspension is too firm.

The rest of your spec looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Things I would repeat....

Oyster Leather, just love the way it lifts the cabin and the two tone with the black carpets etc.

Media Prof, just a good all round infotainment package that works well.

Ditching run flats, hate the X3 with them and love it with proper tyres.

Heated seats and steering wheel, always have heated seats, but first time with heated steering wheel and really love it in the mornings during winter.

Xenon Lights - 100% must have, and amazed how many didn't have them when looking.

Things I would change...

Pano roof. Waste of time as far as I am concerned, never bother with it.

Bigger wheels.
I tried a sport on 19's and run flats and decided the X3 was not for me, then he lent me an SE on 17s with proper tyres and decided it was actually a very good suv. Have since been in a customers SE with 19" sport wheels on proper tyres and that too was a superb ride and handled really well too.
So it would be x-line with 19" wheels and real tyres if I were to order again.

I know I said about the oyster leather, but after sitting in a car with Mocha I could easily live with that too, but no way I would want black, it looks too grubby too quickly imho. and very oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

To comment on the panoramic roof, it is a really nice feature. I got it with the intention of getting it tinted with 3M Crystalline to block out the heat. Without getting some sort of tint, it''ll literally fry your head.. At least it did mine until i got it tinted.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #11
jegs2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion0389 View Post
As already mentioned, the Xenon lights.. For some reason BMW thinks its appropriate to put halogens on a brand new 55k luxury suv. $900 and you're good to go.
Concur. The LED lasers seem overkill to me, especially for a grand more.

~ C. S. Lewis
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:26 AM   #12
DirkBal
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014&2015 X3 30DHers&Mine

Dont leave out 5DL "Surround View" you will thank me for it everytime you have to park in a tight spot...
Appreciate 0