BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
NoliX3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

upgrading my halogen to OEM Xenon euro headlight

Hi all, I was just wondering if any of you had experience upgrading your lighting package to the xenon lights. I have a 2011 F25 with halogen and I really want to upgrade to xenon that looks Bmw OEM xenon headlight. I just bought an OEM euro xenon headlight assembly a complete set with bulb, ballast etc and its cheap compare to buying it from dealership. I have gathered a lot of information regarding coding it to work but I still need some details with regards to wiring, as i have read that halogen and xenon has a different set of wires and pin outs. I will welcome any wiring inputs you guys have. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
jebco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 530i

Xenon Retrofit in X3 F25 - Help!

I have a 2013 F25 and I too would like to upgrade to Xenons from Halogens. How di your install turn out? Any photos, tips or minefields to avoid???

Did you also buy a new light module, footwell module or front and rear height sensors?

Any input would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Jebco
Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I do not know about the US, but in the UK, you need to have the headlight washer kits fitted as well. All to do with type approval.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i believe its same "harness" but different pinout is possible. have you been able to check for yourself?

Usually all these cars parts are plug n play but tricky part is coding it.

contact Evan @getmbmwparts.com he is on this site as a vendor. he may be able to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I do not know about the US, but in the UK, you need to have the headlight washer kits fitted as well. All to do with type approval.
Yes this is law in the UK, and I'm pretty sure the same for most states in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Yes this is law in the UK, and I'm pretty sure the same for most states in the US.
It is not law in the strictest sense. You would not be pulled over for having an aftermarket kit fitted. Perhaps for dazzling somebody, but highly unlikely. It is all to do with type approval and also passing the Ministry of Transport test (MOT).

Many people having been getting away with fitting aftermarket Xenon conversion kits for other cars especially on Audi and VW cars, and have not failed the MOT. Still a risky exercise fitting them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
VFerley
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 F25

I've done retrofit from halogen to bi-xenon. My friend has done all the wiring!!! It was mind blowing for me when he was doing it and it took him many hours playing with wires
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
BMWTwinPWR
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFerley View Post
I've done retrofit from halogen to bi-xenon. My friend has done all the wiring!!! It was mind blowing for me when he was doing it and it took him many hours playing with wires
I too have upgraded from Halogen to OEM Xenon (non adaptive) just over a year ago. Did all the wiring conversion & coding. Works ok. Did you get your highbeam shutter to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #9
tomasb1750
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

hi can some one help my with wiring from halogen to bi xenon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:32 AM   #10
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

+1 interested in seeing a write up if anyone who's done would be willing to share.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #11
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This seems to be the most sought after upgrade/retrofit, yet nobody seems to know how to do it. :/
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
karlshea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom View Post
This seems to be the most sought after upgrade/retrofit, yet nobody seems to know how to do it. :/
I'm in the process of doing halogen to OEM LED, which is basically the same, and I'll do a writeup when it's done (prob within a couple months).

But the reason that no one does it is because it's super complicated. You need to run two hot wires from the rear fusebox to the headlights, the pinout to the headlight assemblies changes on both the headlight and the ECU side, you need to run more cables for a new CANBUS, you'll almost certainly need a new FRM, and then you have to code the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlshea View Post
I'm in the process of doing halogen to OEM LED, which is basically the same, and I'll do a writeup when it's done (prob within a couple months).

But the reason that no one does it is because it's super complicated. You need to run two hot wires from the rear fusebox to the headlights, the pinout to the headlight assemblies changes on both the headlight and the ECU side, you need to run more cables for a new CANBUS, you'll almost certainly need a new FRM, and then you have to code the car.
Thanks, I will be eager to see your write up, and I suspect many others will be too.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
As described above, replacement of halogen lights will require rewiring, equipment changes and coding. It can be done, but will not be cheap and due to the new wiring and connections may be more prone to failures than OEM headlights.

If you are an owner contemplating this headlight surgery will you disclose to a prospective subsequent purchaser that the headlights are not OEM? If I were the buyer, I would want to know this. If disclosed, I would be inclined to walk away from such a vehicle unless the headlight change was done by a reputable party. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 06:04 PM   #15
E83Nate
E83 Nate
Rep
Drives: 04 bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTwinPWR View Post
I too have upgraded from Halogen to OEM Xenon (non adaptive) just over a year ago. Did all the wiring conversion & coding. Works ok. Did you get your highbeam shutter to work?

Where did you buy the harness for the conversion
Appreciate 0