BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
halfalife
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 3.0D Msport

Memory stick file directory

Hi, as I'm waiting for my baby to be built, I thought I'd prepare the music. I'm going to be using a memory stick in the usb armrest.
Can anyone tell me how the folders need to set up, a screen shot would be great. I'm looking to get the album artwork displayed as well.
      07-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

My set up mirrors that which I use at home: each different artist in a separate folder, each album by that artist in a separate sub-folder. Album art is embedded.
I almost always have the car set to play random and I've had no problems, play ranging across the entire disk (I use a USB hard drive rather than a stick but the principle's the same.)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
halfalife
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 3.0D Msport

Thumbs up

Hey thats great....thanks for the Info. Just the 8 week wait now !!!!!
tick follows tock follows tick........
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfalife View Post
Hi, as I'm waiting for my baby to be built, I thought I'd prepare the music. I'm going to be using a memory stick in the usb armrest.
Can anyone tell me how the folders need to set up, a screen shot would be great. I'm looking to get the album artwork displayed as well.
I did the same a couple of weeks ago. I bought a cheap 64Gb USB stick (check Maplins or Play.com) and used the itunes directory to drop the albums onto the stick directly.

The directory is by artist/album/song and navigation on the idrive is straightforward.

One thing to note though is that itunes is not the best at embedding album art . It looks like its there when itunes is opened, but its not always the case, so I downloaded a copy of mp3tag from the net(free) and checked and replaced all the missing artwork.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vojak View Post
One thing to note though is that itunes is not the best at embedding album art . It looks like its there when itunes is opened, but its not always the case
You're not the first to say this but I've never had a problem. It might be the way I use iTunes (which is as little as possible) but I store my mp3s on a network drive separate from the iTunes library. I add cover art after I have imported the music files into the iTunes library.iTunes writes back the cover art to the mp3s without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
You're not the first to say this but I've never had a problem. It might be the way I use iTunes (which is as little as possible) but I store my mp3s on a network drive separate from the iTunes library. I add cover art after I have imported the music files into the iTunes library.iTunes writes back the cover art to the mp3s without any issues.
Yes thats the way I use it now.
Appreciate 0