BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
INFOTEC
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Any Amateur Radio Operators here? Looking for antenna suggestions

Just picked up a 2014 X3 xDrive28i with the panoramic sunroof. I'm looking for options on installing a Yaesu FT7900R. It looks like there's a spot next to the battery in the rear to mount the radio and I can run the remote head unit up front, but I'm not sure what my options are for antenna mounts. Anyone installed a ham radio in their X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
No1PC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 M-Sport

Ham Radio Installation

I'm just installing my FT-8800 in 2015 x3.

Remoted control head 'jammed' into console space below radio/filler piece and the flat area in front of the cup holder.

Radio currently under driver seat. Slid the 6-lead remote cable along the side gap between radio console facia then behind/under the space indicated above (room for the RJ-11 connector in back upper corner) to get it behind the cover panel to the right of the driver seat, then under the driver seat rail.

Antenna lead - currently a mag mount behind the panorama top window until I can determine otherwise. Power is currently 'iffy' using lighter adapter to back seat socket. Sad because these sockets are live all the time, so I have to be sure to turn the radio OFF.

Thus - digging around to find a power/signal lead source that goes off when vehicle is off, to operate a power relay.

Sure is nothing like my Silverado 2500HD that has all the right places to put things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFOTEC View Post
Just picked up a 2014 X3 xDrive28i with the panoramic sunroof. I'm looking for options on installing a Yaesu FT7900R. It looks like there's a spot next to the battery in the rear to mount the radio and I can run the remote head unit up front, but I'm not sure what my options are for antenna mounts. Anyone installed a ham radio in their X3?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Those lighter sockets - and almost every other source of power - will shut off. I can never remember the exact time, but it’s under 15 minutes. It’s actually harder to find a source of power test stays live.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
It’s actually harder to find a source of power test stays live.
There are PERMANENT live feeds in the fuse box under the glove compartment. I had a DASH camera fitted last year and had it wired up so that it could run continuously when parked.

The only issue with this and any other electrical item connected that takes power continuously is that it can bring up the typical BMW battery discharge warning, or in the worst case completely discharge the battery.

In my case the DASH camera had settings that allowed me to shut it off at 14 volts and also after 6 hours recording.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
Troppo
Keyboard warrior
Rep
Drives: X3.

I installed a mototrbo commercial UHF radio in my X3 - I use it for amateur DMR on 70cm.

It has a remote head - installed in the space in front of the gearstick, above the drink holders.

The main body is installed in the storage space under the rear cargo floor (a great spot) - with a direct feed to the battery (close by) via a fuse.

The antenna is an on glass end fed half wave, on the LH rear window.
Appreciate 0