BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Off to a Bad Start.

Went to pick up my X3 last night, unfortunatly left driving a loaner mini. The back seat of the X3 was not assembled properly. The entire bottom section was just floating, nothing attached. It was pretty obvious that there was a problem. How does something as obvious of this get all the way to the customer to find? It's nice they let me take a loaner car, but after months of waiting the night was a pretty big disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

wow! I'm sorry to hear that, I wonder how is it possible for anybody in the quality center to miss that?? I hope they fix that promptly..
      02-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

There seems to be a lot of that happening with this line. One person got theirs with all sorts of paint blemishes. That and the oil sensor. Don't remember this happening with it in Austria.

Yes there will be problems from time to time, but that reeks of crappy QC. You never should have seen that.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Sorry to hear that. I hope you they will fix your car and that it won't take any enjoyment away from your new car.

I really hope that these are one off problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Sorry to hear that Spitfire & I hope it gets fixed asap. As you know, I'll be picking mine up this time next week so I'll be sure to report in on how the car was delivered.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

That's so strange. Same thing happened to me when I bought a Mini Cooper S back in '04. Back seat just kinda flopped around. It was an easy fix though, and the dealership had it ready within a few hours. They gave me a free t-shirt and keychain.

I'm guessing this is the price we pay for being early adopters. New car in a new factory and all. Bound to be some hiccups.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Spitfire
Private
Rep

Problem fixed, picked the X3 up this aft. Very happy. I'll post some pictures tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

ask for money off of your rig!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: which one?!

I hope BMW reads these boards.

The NC plant QC is not up to snuff!!! Paint problems, now this...

Come on guys, get your act together!!! It's a BMW for crying out loud...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Ah, 'cmon now, we have no idea the volume of errors at the plant. This blog could gather the only ones. They fixed the paint and he's happy, the seat situation appears to have been fixed quickly. Clearly they should strive for zero mistakes, but I'd venture to say nobody here is likely to have achieved the "zero mistake" standard in their own work, how is it that others should be held to that then? The volume of mistakes and how they're addressed is critical.

The dealers tell me BMW won't roll out new cars in the US any longer because US customers are too unforgiving of initial hiccups. Not sure what to think about that yet . . .
      02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Ah, 'cmon now, we have no idea the volume of errors at the plant. This blog could gather the only ones. They fixed the paint and he's happy, the seat situation appears to have been fixed quickly. Clearly they should strive for zero mistakes, but I'd venture to say nobody here is likely to have achieved the "zero mistake" standard in their own work, how is it that others should be held to that then? The volume of mistakes and how they're addressed is critical.

The dealers tell me BMW won't roll out new cars in the US any longer because US customers are too unforgiving of initial hiccups. Not sure what to think about that yet . . .

Are you kidding me? Too unforgiving? LOL...

These anecdotal evidence is enough for me to be annoyed.

None of my other bimmers (made in EU) had any issues at delivery... I've also been a member of a ton of other bimmer boards for almost 10 years and have NEVER heard any issues with QC with paint, seats not properly installed, etc.

If I were buying a Hyundai I'd be more forgiving.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mine didn't have any issues either (EU or here). You're suggesting since you didn't have problems before, no cars were delivered with any errors? I think that's unlikely.

Nobody hits a zero error standard in their work. It's the volume and significance of errors that matters. I wonder how many folks would consider it reasonable to have their performance judged by "anecdotal evidence" . . .
      02-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
LSB M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Mine didn't have any issues either (EU or here). You're suggesting since you didn't have problems before, no cars were delivered with any errors? I think that's unlikely.

Nobody hits a zero error standard in their work. It's the volume and significance of errors that matters. I wonder how many folks would consider it reasonable to have their performance judged by "anecdotal evidence" . . .
whatever, I am entitled to my opinion.. too late and too tired to be arguing over the internet with a complete stranger.
good night.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB M View Post
Are you kidding me? Too unforgiving? LOL...

These anecdotal evidence is enough for me to be annoyed.

None of my other bimmers (made in EU) had any issues at delivery... I've also been a member of a ton of other bimmer boards for almost 10 years and have NEVER heard any issues with QC with paint, seats not properly installed, etc.

If I were buying a Hyundai I'd be more forgiving.
Then I suggest you buy a Hyundai.

This should hardly surprise a veteran such as yourself. Every time BMW-or any other manufacturer-rolls out a new model, there are issues. Some are noticed at delivery, others take some time. Stop being so pedantic.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean it is necessarily right or has any value, but you're entitled to it . . .
      02-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

My main issue with these faults (and I'm not really concerned by them, it's a bit sloppy on the QC but what's to say the seat didn't break in transit?) is that the dealers don't notice them, or notice them and don't disclose them and then still try to sell you the car!! What if this guy had not noticed the seat and quickly put a baby seat in the back?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1 re sfax
      02-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #18
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

My dealer normally wants 5 days for PDC (pre Delivery Checks) and I cannot see any excuse for them missing faults or damage - they are the last line of defence before the customer and they know it.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

That's disappointing. I would mention something about it to the manager. I would certainly question paying for PDC when it is painfully obvious they didn't do the job properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
My main issue with these faults (and I'm not really concerned by them, it's a bit sloppy on the QC but what's to say the seat didn't break in transit?) is that the dealers don't notice them, or notice them and don't disclose them and then still try to sell you the car!! What if this guy had not noticed the seat and quickly put a baby seat in the back?
I'm not all that concerned with these faults either. However this definitely seems like a major oversight by QC as I can't imagine anything in transit unsecuring the back seats from the car; I doubt anyone even sat in the car other than the driver's seat when putting it on a transport freight or doing a rolling test.

The X3 is still a very new vehicle and I understand it'll take some time to work out the kinks either in machinery or the technicians. Hopefully these quality problems don't become common place or continued to be prevalent such as the HPFP issue in the N54 engine and now the N55.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #21
Spitfire
Private
Rep

How they explained it to me is that the seat must have came loose as they were detailing the interior...not really sure what needs to be detailed on a brand new vehicle? They did rush to get the vehicle for me. It arrived Friday and I was to have it Tuesday. Monday was a holiday so they rushed through with one business day. I was just happy to have the X3 and get out of a rental. So far everything is great with the truck, very happy. Installing the kids seats today so hopefully it stays connected.
Appreciate 0