BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

X35i, Dynamic Dampers with M-Sport Package

Hello,

Can you add the dynamic dampers with the M-Sport package but without the dynamic handling package?

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Sounds expensive...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

In the US, driver adjustable dampers come with the Sport Activity and M-sport packages; in this application, the dampers do not adapt to road conditions. Along with the Dynamic Handling Package, the dampers are both driver adjustable AND adaptive to road conditions. Without the Sports Activity or M-sport package, the Dynamic Handling Package alone includes dampers that are both driver adjustable and adaptive to road conditions.

If your only concern is to have adaptive and driver adjustable dampers, do not bother paying for the Sports Activity or M-sport packages. But if you want the sport seats, paddle shifters, anthracite headliner, bigger rims, and other cosmetic upgrades, get either of the sport packages.

This is only for US-spec 35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
In the US, driver adjustable dampers come with the Sport Activity and M-sport packages; in this application, the dampers do not adapt to road conditions. Along with the Dynamic Handling Package, the dampers are both driver adjustable AND adaptive to road conditions. Without the Sports Activity or M-sport package, the Dynamic Handling Package alone includes dampers that are both driver adjustable and adaptive to road conditions.

If your only concern is to have adaptive and driver adjustable dampers, do not bother paying for the Sports Activity or M-sport packages. But if you want the sport seats, paddle shifters, anthracite headliner, bigger rims, and other cosmetic upgrades, get either of the sport packages.

This is confusing, the dynamic dampers with the m sport package they are driver adjustable but not automatic? That doesnt make sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727
Quote:

This is confusing, the dynamic dampers with the m sport package they are driver adjustable but not automatic? That doesnt make sense.
Take it up with BMW. This is the information I've gathered. Dynamic Damper Control is separate from BMW Dynamic Drive Control.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Yes you can add dynamic dampers with msport... Just check the box.

It's the only way to get a car with dampers that are not passive. Unless the dampers have the control module sticking out perpendicular from the damper the damper is passive just like a Hyundai accent's damper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post
Hello,

Can you add the dynamic dampers with the M-Sport package but without the dynamic handling package?

Thank You
      11-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Yes you can add dynamic dampers with msport... Just check the box.

It's the only way to get a car with dampers that are not passive. Unless the dampers have the control module sticking out perpendicular from the damper the damper is passive just like a Hyundai accent's damper.
The dampers with the Msport without the DHP are passive?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yep. If you want active dampers on the Msport you have to pay for it. Checking the box gives you dynamic (adjustable) dampers.
Attached Images

11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

So do you think the 1300 is worth having the dampers Dynamic instead of Manual? How much different is the stearing?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
tango131
Private
Rep
Drives: Boxster S; 2013 X3 28i

lbjgh is correct. In the US, the ONLY way to add the dynamic dampers (that continually adjust and the dirver can select suspension firmness from comfort, sport, etc) is to add the dynamic handling package and fork over the $1300 bucks.

Judd: "In the US, driver adjustable dampers come with the Sport Activity and M-sport packages; in this application, the dampers do not adapt to road conditions. Along with the Dynamic Handling Package, the dampers are both driver adjustable AND adaptive to road conditions. Without the Sports Activity or M-sport package, the Dynamic Handling Package alone includes dampers that are both driver adjustable and adaptive to road conditions."

this is slightly incorrect. the the Sport Activity and M-sport packages on their own do not come with dampers that adjust at all. they come the plain jane regular dampers (except the M-sport has an optional "Sport" passive suspension). as noted above, the only way in the Us to get adjustable dampers of any kind is to order the dynamic handling package for an extra $1300, even if combined with M-sport or Sports Activity.

and to the OP, yes, it is most definitely worth the $1300 bucks. check the box and move on. it gives you 3 cars in 1.

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango131 View Post
this is slightly incorrect. the the Sport Activity and M-sport packages on their own do not come with dampers that adjust at all. they come the plain jane regular dampers (except the M-sport has an optional "Sport" passive suspension). as noted above, the only way in the Us to get adjustable dampers of any kind is to order the dynamic handling package for an extra $1300, even if combined with M-sport or Sports Activity.
Thats not correct, the M Sport gives you dynamic dampers. DHP is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

M sport does not give you dynamic dampers.

After you select msport package you'll note the dynamic damper control remains unselected. You have to opt into the optional dampers or you don't get 'em.

Don't believe us... go talk to your friendly BMW sales guy...

See the pics below... msport selected with and without dynamic dampers... see you do have to pay for 'em.
Attached Images

11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
This topic has been covered many times. Do some research. It is not included. I have 2013 M X35i and it was separate option.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
tango131
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, this is not correct. In the US, to get the dynamic adjustable dampers, you MUST order the dynamic handling package.

This has been beaten to death.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

This has been discussed many times. You are correct. Dynamic Dampers are NOT included. Dynamic Dampers imply both adjustable and actively variable valve apertures. Many have ordered their SAP and M-Sport spec'd cars without DHP, and are able to adjust their dampers and steering. Go look at InsideLine's X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This has been discussed many times. You are correct. Dynamic Dampers are NOT included. Dynamic Dampers imply both adjustable and actively variable valve apertures. Many have ordered their SAP and M-Sport spec'd cars without DHP, and are able to adjust their dampers and steering. Go look at InsideLine's X3.
Not all cars without dynamic dampers have the magical mystery dampers that adjust without the hardware.
      11-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So you are agreeing with M-Sport you can adjust the dampers from comfort to sport, they just don’t adjust to the road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Not all cars without dynamic dampers have the magical mystery dampers that adjust without the hardware.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you are agreeing with M-Sport you can adjust the dampers from comfort to sport, they just don’t adjust to the road conditions.
As far as I know, yes. Check with your dealer or BMWNA before ordering. I'm certain, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. I don't want to be responsible for your mis-order.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
What does that mean? "Can adjust, but not to the road conditions" type thinking. They are either the active (DDC) or not.

There is either the passive damper setup, no user adjustment whatsoever, or the DDC with full active damping.

Where does the idea come from there is an intermediate damping setup in a BMW?

Your USA configurator is clear, as highlighted in postings above, DHP adds the DDC feature, if not added you simply have passive damping.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
JC7727
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What does that mean? "Can adjust, but not to the road conditions" type thinking. They are either the active (DDC) or not.

There is either the passive damper setup, no user adjustment whatsoever, or the DDC with full active damping.

Where does the idea come from there is an intermediate damping setup in a BMW?

Your USA configurator is clear, as highlighted in postings above, DHP adds the DDC feature, if not added you simply have passive damping.

HighlandPete
In the US, driver adjustable dampers come with the Sport Activity and M-sport packages; in this application, the dampers do not adapt to road conditions. Along with the Dynamic Handling Package, the dampers are both driver adjustable AND adaptive to road conditions.

Driver adjustable meaning they can be stiffened by the driver in car. They are NOT passive just not "auto"
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
tango131
Private
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with this, at least in the USA. check with your sales rep. the M-sport suspension, without the DHP package added, is a plane jane "regular" passive suspension without any "active" anything. the only benefit of M-sport package suspension wise is that is has an optional "sport" suspension that is firmer all the time (i.e., not adaptive or adjustable at all). let's not confuse the comfort and sport switching of the drivetrain (tranny and steering) with adaptive suspension. if you had an adaptive or active suspension, you would be able to set the suspension (comfort, sport or sport plus) separately or in conjunction with the drivetrain (comfort, sport or sport plus) in the I-Drive settings. if you can't do this, you don't have any active or adaptive suspension whatsoever.

also, I still have yet to see a car equiped with M-sport ONLY (with no DHP package added) that has the adaptive dampers, evidenced by the protruding cylinders with conenctions. if anyone has seen this, please post and i'll eat my words.

Appreciate 0