BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quite loud static noise coming out of nowhere

I went to have lunch today in a busy restaurant, so I had to wait for parking on the side of a busy road, and I turned on the hazzard to signal the traffic behind. When a parking spot is available, I parked my car, turn off the car and left. I forgot to turn off the hazzard.
After about 5 minutes later, the parking attendant was looking for me and told me that my hazzard was still on, so I went back to the parking lot to turn it off.
When I get into my car, I instantly heard this weird static noise coming out from the rear (speakers?), and it was quite loud, almost like the sound of the propeller-engined aircraft noise.
I turn on the car (not starting it, just press the start button without pressing the brake pedal), and the audio came on (i have usb stick connected) and the song is playing along with the static noise. I turned off the car and the noise persisted.
I start the engine, and the static noise was gone completely. It has not come back so far, and I'm wondering what was that?? I can't be sure if it was from the speakers or any other source, but it sounded like it came from the rear.
Has this ever happened to any of your X3s? or any other BMW models? Any idea what could have caused it? The car didn't give any error message, and everything seemed to work fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

closest I can recall is some old banger I had - the hazard lights kept the engine ticking over - it would pulse in sync with lights

I'd guess computer control just got confused (I swear computers become more irrational each year) and hadn't shut down amplifier properly. My current BMW radio will occasionally start with ignition but forget to put anything out the speakers and you have to switch it off and on
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
closest I can recall is some old banger I had - the hazard lights kept the engine ticking over - it would pulse in sync with lights

I'd guess computer control just got confused (I swear computers become more irrational each year) and hadn't shut down amplifier properly. My current BMW radio will occasionally start with ignition but forget to put anything out the speakers and you have to switch it off and on
Yeah I hope it is just a minor, one time glitch.
Appreciate 0