BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Does X3 play DVD'S

can you play movies or do have to buy the HIFI sound system to play dvd's?????

x3 35i
idrive
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

you need pro nav or tech package to play DVDs, not pro hifi

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I put the technology pkg. So I would have DVD.....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

That's correct XRP with the tech package you're able to play dvds, the upgraded audio has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Dantroy
Rep
Drives: X3 30d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
you need pro nav or tech package to play DVDs, not pro hifi
I have pro nav and mine doesn't play DVD ???
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantroy View Post
I have pro nav and mine doesn't play DVD ???
Are you sure? It should definitely have a DVD drive with pro nav. business nav is a CD Drive, pro nav has a DVD drive and a 60GB HDD (12GB for music)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure? It should definitely have a DVD drive with pro nav. business nav is a CD Drive, pro nav has a DVD drive and a 60GB HDD (12GB for music)
I'd like to check that as well.
I remember that I was told, you can "connect" a dvd player and then you would be able to play it through the Nav display; not just reading the normal DVD. That's what I understood. Does it make sense?
Does it also play other formats (than DVD)?
I have a Nav Pro (Technology Pack) on the 28i. Is that different from the 35i or it is only the number of speakers?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The description for the professional navigation package (on website) in the UK and in Australia clearly states DVD not CD player. Not sure on Canada but it should be stated on the online config tool.

It only plays DVDs and you can't play other video files either as files on a DVD data disc or on the internal HDD unfortunately

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The description for the professional navigation package (on website) in the UK and in Australia clearly states DVD not CD player. Not sure on Canada but it should be stated on the online config tool.

It only plays DVDs and you can't play other video files either as files on a DVD data disc or on the internal HDD unfortunately

says nothing on the US configeration site
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I'd like to check that as well.
I remember that I was told, you can "connect" a dvd player and then you would be able to play it through the Nav display; not just reading the normal DVD. That's what I understood. Does it make sense?
I'm not sure what you mean by "can connect a dvd player and then you would be able to play it through the Nav display." Do you mean connecting an actual dvd player that you bought yourself and hooking it up to the usb? If so that doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
I have a Nav Pro (Technology Pack) on the 28i. Is that different from the 35i or it is only the number of speakers?
I'm not sure if the Nav Pro/technology package is different in Canada but in the US the tech package lets you play DVDs, I've done it before. Also since the individual Nav option is the same thing as the one in the tech package I would think you could also play DVDs unless BMW decided to be pushy and force people to get the tech pack. Canada might be configured differently as the upgraded audio is separate from the tech pack, 16 is upgraded and 12 is standard I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRP View Post
says nothing on the US configuration site
Since there's no such thing as pro or business Nav in the US as there is only pro Nav, I would think that any of the options that let you upgrade to the Nav with the larger screen would play DVDs.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

I read this thread this morning. In my previous E91 I had Nav pro with the DVD-Drive, but to watch a movie I should have selected at the order of the E91 the additional TV module. When I ordered my F25 in february I remember seeing the TV module option in the long list, and I did not opted for it. I only selected nav pro. Right now I took a dvd movie and jumped in my car to test if it was true... and and the movie worked fine. That's a great bonus of Nav Pro.Well done BMW for that.

Now the only thing is it didn't work while driving, and that a pitty for the passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Bimmer65
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post

Now the only thing is it didn't work while driving, and that a pitty for the passengers.
To play DVD:s while driving you can use software uppgrade from:

www.dvdinmotion.com

Then you can play DVD:s and even use internet if you got that option. That would please the passengers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "can connect a dvd player and then you would be able to play it through the Nav display." Do you mean connecting an actual dvd player that you bought yourself and hooking it up to the usb? If so that doesn't make much sense.
yes that's correct. Connecting an external dvd player. I understood that the built-in system doesn't have reading capability, but only displaying. Maybe I was wrong?!

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Nav Pro/technology package is different in Canada but in the US the tech package lets you play DVDs, I've done it before. Also since the individual Nav option is the same thing as the one in the tech package I would think you could also play DVDs unless BMW decided to be pushy and force people to get the tech pack. Canada might be configured differently as the upgraded audio is separate from the tech pack, 16 is upgraded and 12 is standard I believe.
The 28i Tech pack is a 12 speaker I believe (upgraded from the original 6 I think). So Are you saying that you just played a normal DVD inside the sound system and it worked?
I was wondering if there is an output so that we could carry that image to the rear seats via an alternative display? I'm guessing I'm going too far with this right?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
I read this thread this morning. In my previous E91 I had Nav pro with the DVD-Drive, but to watch a movie I should have selected at the order of the E91 the additional TV module. When I ordered my F25 in february I remember seeing the TV module option in the long list, and I did not opted for it. I only selected nav pro. Right now I took a dvd movie and jumped in my car to test if it was true... and and the movie worked fine. That's a great bonus of Nav Pro.Well done BMW for that.

So how do the passengers sitting at the back seats (specially kids) could see the display in the front? would be interesting to somehow transfer that to the back seats...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
yes that's correct. Connecting an external dvd player. I understood that the built-in system doesn't have reading capability, but only displaying. Maybe I was wrong?!

The 28i Tech pack is a 12 speaker I believe (upgraded from the original 6 I think). So Are you saying that you just played a normal DVD inside the sound system and it worked?
I was wondering if there is an output so that we could carry that image to the rear seats via an alternative display? I'm guessing I'm going too far with this right?
I think it might be best if you ask your CA Shaw or perhaps some Canadian members can shed some light on this issue.

In the US there's no such thing as basic, business, or pro tiers only business which is standard and anything upgraded from the standard is essentially the pro tier in other countries. With that said I believe any option that adds the pro nav to the car whether it be the nav in the tech pack or individual option as long as it adds the nav with the 8.8 inch screen you can play DVDs. While I have both the tech pack & upgraded audio (separate options in US) I don't see why the upgraded audio would affect the X3's ability to play DVDs as the upgraded audio essentially adds more speakers and a larger amp to power them.

PS: Forgot to mention in the paragraph but yes I was able to play DVDs in the X3 by just putting a DVD into the normal drive on the center console, I watched Watchmen and that movie with James Franco where he got stuck while hiking and had to chop off his arm.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody65 View Post
To play DVD:s while driving you can use software uppgrade from:

www.dvdinmotion.com

Then you can play DVD:s and even use internet if you got that option. That would please the passengers.
Thanks for the hint Woody65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
So how do the passengers sitting at the back seats (specially kids) could see the display in the front? would be interesting to somehow transfer that to the back seats...
I was meaning the woman on the right For pets, babies and children, they have the side's windows with a fantasic landscape to look at...
Otherwise, bmw provide a solution with one TV in the middle or 2 tv screens on each side (in the back of the front seats) for rear passengers.
Appreciate 0