BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

Why not speed limit on Nav System?

Hi,

Now that there will be the possibility of speed sign reading/warning, my humble question is: Why wasn't already a speed warning based on Nav data? Or will it be?

I have the "Über" Professional Nav system and it is a basic NAV Database function that it's not present!

I used this function, along with speed camera information database, travelling in Europe and in Florida, and it was suprisingly accurate, alerting for excessive speed or speed cameras whenever it was due. And did I mentioned that I used a mobile phone to do it?

Both those functions are standard with my Nokia X6 mobile phone, with the original Ovi Maps Navigation from Nokia. The phone cost around 150€ and the functions are absent from a BMW's option worth 1.650€ ...go figure.

Must say that it is the major letdown for the NAV system (the other one is the amount of media storage limited to around 12GB), and one of the few things I think BMW could really improve in the daily use of the car...

Well if this something that is somewhere hidden in the I-Drive menu, please enlight me!

Regards

David Coelho
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Car companies aren't yet competing at the level of cell phone companies. Eventually, I think, the software in a car will be more treated like the software on a phone. You'll get updates, new features, ect. Until then, we deal with mediocracy.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

I guess that with all the hardware and software onboard these simple things would be peanuts...and they are, but otherwise maybe the new speed warning system wouldn't be so "sellable"...thanks marketing guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

My previous car had a Pioneer AVIC 3, it was 4 years old, state of the art when it came out (still is in comparision to many)....its still much better than the one in my X3. I expected more from BMW, but it gets the job done.....
      02-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I agree the information on the BMW Sat Nav is fairly ordinary. Here in Australia, the cheap dash-mounted sat-navs have the option of not only displaying the current speed limit - but even automatically adjusting the speed limit for the time of day as you travel through school zones. That together with a simple display of the name of the street you are in would be helpful.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Kencc
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

I have a nav on a BMW M/C & it shows the posted speed limit. See no reason it couldn't be done by a software fix.
Appreciate 0