BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Will 'Apps' ever improve?

Bmw apps isn't as good as I had hoped.

I do however like Web Radio so I can listen to radio stations from places around the world I have visited.

Except...

I use BMW connected on an iPhone 4S and you can only use apps if:

A) Your iPhone is physically plugged into the car using cable or cradle
&
B) The app is open and running on the iPhone

Annoying because if the Mrs wants to reply to texts for me or do something else, Apps stop as soon as you close it on the iPhone.

Does this annoy anyone else? I had hoped it would at least work over Bluetooth.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
TerraLvr335i
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

I agree, although I'm not sure how much is a limitation of BMW and how much is a limitation on the phone side.

Really, "apps" will only become truly useful when they start to include an in-car specific interface (in addition to their tablet/phone interfaces) that is shown on the iDrive screen and integrates with steering wheel controls, etc. Ideally, wirelessly.

I believe, to get to this point, we'll need some level of standardization in the in-car interface, though. Whether it's touch, i-drive-like controllers, or something else. Voice and steering wheel controls will need to be somewhat standardized as well. We'll also need some standard protocol or mechanism for interacting with the in-car display/controller so that app developers don't need to write for every car manufacturer.

Absent the above, the app developers would need to provide a sort of "headless" access to their apps for the car manufacturers to create custom in-car interfaces for. Doesn't seem like the right way to go, but who knows?

Anyway, in the end, I agree - limited usefulness from the current BMW Apps.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I would Agree, the BMW apps isnt that good, IMO its been developed by really old people that are forced to learn tech to keep their Jobs. No Offense to anyone. The only useful app is Pnadora, thats it.

If i were the Head or the Assistant head of developing the BMW apps, Not only it would look good but, it would be really functional at the same time. I am really Confident that 95% of the people would love it.
      08-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

MOG

If you subscribe to MOG, BMW Apps is worth the price of admission.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Teemo Panda
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon
Kinda like MOG but, I hate paying for a overpriced app that I already bought.
      08-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda
Quote:
But it's a standalone app useful outside of the car as well so I'm not sure what you're saying. $9.99/month for MOG isn't bad considering you wouldn't need to purchase CDs or iTunes (as often) anymore. And integration with the car is pretty cool - I use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

Have it, never use it.

99% of the time, my iphone connects via Bluetooth and Pandora was the last audio app. If not, it's an easy process to start Pandora directly on the phone. The fact that you have to plug in the phone, start the Pandora app, wait for the sync, and then you're good - it just takes too long when most of my drives are < 30 min.

If there was iPhone5 cradle available and all I had to do was insert the phone and then I had access to the apps, then maybe it would be a different story.

For now, for me, it's Bluetooth.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Teemo Panda
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But it's a standalone app useful outside of the car as well so I'm not sure what you're saying. $9.99/month for MOG isn't bad considering you wouldn't need to purchase CDs or iTunes (as often) anymore. And integration with the car is pretty cool - I use it all the time.
You u think that 9.99 isn't that expensive but it would add up soon.
I would rather spend that money paying for my unlimited net in iphone on ATT.
Plus, I have a have a jailbroken iPhone 5
I always get my songs for free!
      08-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

I wish BMW would release support for Spotify...
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
TerraLvr335i
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
I wish BMW would release support for Spotify...
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You u think that 9.99 isn't that expensive but it would add up soon.
I would rather spend that money paying for my unlimited net in iphone on ATT.
Plus, I have a have a jailbroken iPhone 5
I always get my songs for free!
I suppose my priorities are different than yours. But I stand by what I said. Spending $120 per year on 320kb/s steaming/downloadable music is not a lot, and especially when there's an iDrive interface. I spend more on vinyl in a month. And it's completely legal unlike what you are doing so artists (such as myself) are getting their cut, however small it may be.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I suppose my priorities are different than yours. But I stand by what I said. Spending $120 per year on 320kb/s steaming/downloadable music is not a lot, and especially when there's an iDrive interface. I spend more on vinyl in a month. And it's completely legal unlike what you are doing so artists (such as myself) are getting their cut, however small it may be.
I let my MOG subscription run out when my CC expired. I liked it but now I also notice the Rhapsody app works with BMW Apps. I used to subscribe to Rhapsody - does anyone have any experience with Rhapsody and BMW Apps?

I use BMW Apps mostly for Web Radio and the iTunes app... I don't really care too much about Pandora because the playlist is lacking for the type of music I like to listen to.

Another app I would love to support on this is Slacker.

I agree with everyone about the implementation. I think the BMW OS has it's limitations. I think the fact that you can't minimize the app to do other stuff is annoying but I think that's an iOS thing. You USED to be able to do that with the previous OS version - I think iOS5.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I would love it if BMW apps allowed for multiple apps to be running simultaneously but as a previous posted noted, that is likely a limitation of the phone/device. That said I'm usually happy just being able to listen to music stored on my iPhone while running another app. Frankly, I'm still quite impressed with how BMW apps work with 3rd party developers. When Glympse got integrated, BMW didn't need to do anything since they built an API for 3rd parties to plug in to. Glympse just had to update their app to work with the API and an update later I'm sending Glympses using the BMW controller instead on the phone.

I'd be interested to see what comes of Apple's new initiative working directly with car manufacturers. The first car that lets me interact with Siri (or any other voice-activated service like Google Now) as if Siri lives in the car will be my next car. Well...maybe not the FIRST car...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #14
docal97
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
I would love it if BMW apps allowed for multiple apps to be running simultaneously but as a previous posted noted, that is likely a limitation of the phone/device. That said I'm usually happy just being able to listen to music stored on my iPhone while running another app. Frankly, I'm still quite impressed with how BMW apps work with 3rd party developers. When Glympse got integrated, BMW didn't need to do anything since they built an API for 3rd parties to plug in to. Glympse just had to update their app to work with the API and an update later I'm sending Glympses using the BMW controller instead on the phone.

I'd be interested to see what comes of Apple's new initiative working directly with car manufacturers. The first car that lets me interact with Siri (or any other voice-activated service like Google Now) as if Siri lives in the car will be my next car. Well...maybe not the FIRST car...
I'm not sure why this cannot be done with a Bluetooth connection. The phone connects via Bluetooth for playing your music library, plus the iPhone itself should be capable of doing this over Bluetooth.

Glympse for me does not show the map view as seen in previous demos that i have seen. I love the iPhone app itself, but when connected via USB it cannot be used natively on the phone, rendering it useless for me. I have contacted Glympse support, but have not received an answer to this issue.

Others experiences??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Actually, I think there is a little interaction with Siri on bluetooth but I haven't really tested it. When you activate Siri while on bluetooth, the Siri audio does come through the speakers but I'm unclear on whether or not the X3 mic actually pipes to Siri. Also, you still need to hold down the home button on your iPhone to activate Siri.

As for Glympse, in my opinion the key functionality of the app is integrated on BMW Apps. The map is largely redundant--the main thing you need to do is bring up Glympse and then send a Glympse to others. Does Glympse also allow you to track others that have sent Glympses to you? If so, then the exclusion of the map would be a loss indeed. In any case, most of the content available on the X3 screen is a function of the app developer except in cases where they have their hands tied by limitations on the API or restrictions enforced by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I was really annoyed when I got the X3 originally, and spec'd everywhere that I expected to need, and was even told by the dealer that everything I selected gave me the full package, I mean when you select the top end NAV system that says option this, that etc, that you are getting exactly that, but as it turned out because I didn't select the stupid cheap option for apps they don't work.

However the number of times I've used the remote lock having walked away and then wondering if I locked the car is a godsend.

I would rather BMW focused more on providing better options on the car you already have, such as a media interface that is designed by someone who actually listens to music, the way it files things and you find them is short of dreadful (but better than it used to be) and the internet with the Edge connection is as useful as a damp loaf of bread (Maybe they do that to make you go for the apps so you can use the 3/4G connection on your phone?!)

While BMW prides itself in making all options selectable thus making for a highly personal configuration, the UK configuration site is exceptionally poor in providing descriptions for those options on the configurator (you're sometimes lucky if it even has anything) and even some dealers don't quite understand what they are.
Appreciate 0