BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

X3 Maintenance Guidelines

I wanted to find out from others about their opinion on performing extra maintenance on their BMWs which is in addition to the free maintenace provided by BMW.

Most of my searches indicate to just follow the free BMW Schedule if you are leasing but if you plan to buy and hold the vehicle for say six to 10 years, most people are suggesting you increase the frequency of maintenance such as fluid changes, etc. as recommended by Mike Miller (Roundel Magazine). Obviously, more maintenance can't hurt but I'm wondering if people who keep their vehicles longer than three years do the extra maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Pat2011X3
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Turbo

For buy and hold on a turbo, I do oil & filter changes every 5000 miles (assuming it takes full synthetic). I buy oil by the case and DIY it. Nothing says you have to do extra fluid changes. I just prefer the insurance it provides. Currently have a 2004 Acura TL with 107k miles on her. Oil still doesn't get black after 4000 miles. To each their own...

Last edited by Pat2011X3; 02-13-2011 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Safe oil change intervals are highly dependent on type of use. Short drives without fully warming up the oil or extended hard driving with high oil temps. obviously reduces its safe life. The X3 35i does have a fairly large oil cooler and does compute projected change intervals based on usage, but the possible 10 to 15K mile changes are generally thought to be too long if you are planning on keeping the car for well beyond the warrantee period.

For my track car, which does not accumulate many miles, but does see some engine "stress" I do changes every 2K (Mobil 1 0W40) or once a year and always send the oil to Blackstone Labs <http://www.blackstone-labs.com/> for analysis.

For our X3 35i, I'm planning on an initial change at between 5 and 6K with an analysis to determine how much life the oil has remaining and how much metal wear has occurred. Of course, always use either BMW oil, German Castrol or Mobil 1 as recommended. The people at Blackstone Labs really know about potential oil failure and are a good source to use to find out if your change intervals are too often or too long.

Other N54 and N55 engined BMWs, which are driven fairly hard, seem to be giving fairly nice oil reports (low wear and low oil breakdown) at 5 to 7.5K (mile) change intervals, so this seems to be a safe distance.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Safe oil change intervals are highly dependent on type of use. Short drives without fully warming up the oil or extended hard driving with high oil temps. obviously reduces its safe life. The X3 35i does have a fairly large oil cooler and does compute projected change intervals based on usage, but the possible 10 to 15K mile changes are generally thought to be too long if you are planning on keeping the car for well beyond the warrantee period.

For my track car, which does not accumulate many miles, but does see some engine "stress" I do changes every 2K (Mobil 1 0W40) or once a year and always send the oil to Blackstone Labs <http://www.blackstone-labs.com/> for analysis.

For our X3 35i, I'm planning on an initial change at between 5 and 6K with an analysis to determine how much life the oil has remaining and how much metal wear has occurred. Of course, always use either BMW oil, German Castrol or Mobil 1 as recommended. The people at Blackstone Labs really know about potential oil failure and are a good source to use to find out if your change intervals are too often or too long.

Other N54 and N55 engined BMWs, which are driven fairly hard, seem to be giving fairly nice oil reports (low wear and low oil breakdown) at 5 to 7.5K (mile) change intervals, so this seems to be a safe distance.

+1 on Blackstone
Appreciate 0