BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #2267
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Hi - yes have test driven the auto more than the manual but this is what i'm up against - The missus complains about my SLK 'Its not a real car with that auto gearbox...its like driving a bumper car' must admit, i do like the auto box, very smooth.

However, one thing especially annoys me - that split second delay when you want to get moving quickly and the 'box debates if you are really wanting to go or that you have had a twitch in your right leg. Manual box is much more driver engaging I believe - just have a slight concern over the offset pedals.

Have considered the VDC but where do you stop - already having palpitations at the thought of £40k on a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #2268
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Don't ask me where to stop, mine was about £41k

I do like the Comfort Access too oh and the Winter Package

M Sport is brilliant - looks very nice (mine is CB, aluminium exterior trim and roof rails, aluminium interior trim, black leather).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #2269
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I've not tried a car with Xenons. But as most of my driving is on lit roads then its not really a problem seeing the road. They might look better, but as I'm driving I'm more concerned about function then pure looks.

On the recommendation of this forum I went for the 30d rather then the 20d, and haven't regretted it for a moment. The price difference shouldn't be as great as it is, but you get the Auto and Metalic paint.
As regards delay with the Auto. Just select Sports mode, and knock the Auto lever over to DS- no delay in power!

The only problem with BMW and most car manufacturers is that you pay through the nose for extras. You can quickly make a X3 very expensive. I'd be interested to see if there's a 'Horsey' chart to show BMW profit margin per extra.
Extras I couldn't justify- Power Heated Seats (Sorely missed from last car), Sunroof, M-Sport, DAB radio etc.
Extras I did go for but expensive- Professional Sat Nav
Extras I did go for- Sports Steering wheel, and Storage Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #2270
Mdr10
Rep
Drives: Deciding...

Hi guys, been trawling through all this very useful info as I try and work out what spec to order. The options list has so much on there! I'm currently looking at this little lot on a 3.0 m sport:

Reversing Assist camera with Top View
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun protection glass
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Extended storage
Seat heating, front
Xenon headlights
Loudspeaker system - BMW Business
Media package - Professional Multimedia
Variable Damper Control (VDC)
Access package

Which seems a bit excessive although I was very interested to hear about discounts you guys had negotiated as my dealer suggested the x3 was the most popular car in the universe! I'll just put him into competition with another when it comes to ordering.

We're tossing up between the silver or white so any thoughts on that wud be interesting - more from a negative perspective as I know the silver as we currently have a x5 in the same colour.

My main issue on he options front is VDC. Dealer is telling me its not worth it but after having a crashy x5on sports suspension I wanted the choice of firm or softer damping. Any have it and leave it in sport the whole time? Is the comfort mode too soft?

Also any drivers of 3.0 who wish they bought the 35?

Thanks for your help...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #2271
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

I have a 2.0D with VDC and love it (can't compare with non-VDC). I use the Sport Mode mostly when I am on A Roads, the Comfort Mode for around town (most of my driving) and motorways. Love Sports Mode - very zippy (even in the 2.0D), responsive and firm (but not in any way badly so). There doesn't seem much point to using it around town though. Comfort is still fine, but not as good.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #2272
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
[QUOTE=Mdr10;13010593]

I thought about the 35D but don't regret not ordering one. I believe you have slightly more lag with a 30D but you never feel short changed in the power department.

I don't think the extra expense is worth it.

p.s, you should order sports seat, look lots better and are nice and snug
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:45 AM   #2273
Mdr10
Rep

p.s, you should order sports seat, look lots better and are nice and snug [/QUOTE]

Doesn't the m sport have sports seats as standard?

I'm interested in the DAB too, maybe at the expense of the upgraded speakers. We dont often have the stereo too loud with the kids in he back.

Is the split folding back seats worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #2274
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdr10 View Post
p.s, you should order sports seat, look lots better and are nice and snug

Doesn't the m sport have sports seats as standard?

I'm interested in the DAB too, maybe at the expense of the upgraded speakers. We dont often have the stereo too loud with the kids in he back.

Is the split folding back seats worthwhile?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't read the MSport bit.

Regarding the DAB you should be able to do a deal with the dealer, all 2013 BMW's come with DAB as standard. If you intend to keep the car over 3 years DAB is the way to go before the analog switch off.

I have the speaker upgrade and it is ok but can sound a little bass heavy
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #2275
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76
Sfax, 2 years since we were addicted to the 'build your X3' Configurator!
Haha. They were exciting times. The wife rolling her eyes as she sees you on the configurator yet again (even after order was placed and she wrongly thought it was finally over)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #2276
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys, been trawling through all this very useful info as I try and work out what spec to order. The options list has so much on there! I'm currently looking at this little lot on a 3.0 m sport:

Reversing Assist camera with Top View
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun protection glass
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Extended storage
Seat heating, front
Xenon headlights
Loudspeaker system - BMW Business
Media package - Professional Multimedia
Variable Damper Control (VDC)
Access package

Which seems a bit excessive although I was very interested to hear about discounts you guys had negotiated as my dealer suggested the x3 was the most popular car in the universe! I'll just put him into competition with another when it comes to ordering.

We're tossing up between the silver or white so any thoughts on that wud be interesting - more from a negative perspective as I know the silver as we currently have a x5 in the same colour.

My main issue on he options front is VDC. Dealer is telling me its not worth it but after having a crashy x5on sports suspension I wanted the choice of firm or softer damping. Any have it and leave it in sport the whole time? Is the comfort mode too soft?

Thanks for your help...
If I had the money your spec is what I'd go for I haven't driven a 35d, but I did order the 30d without a test drive. The 30d gives plenty enough power.
As regards colour- I went for Mineral Silver with Oyster Leather. Its the colour combo used in the official brochure.
As regards discount- I asked for 8% based upon getting my own finance, I ended up with 10% based upon using BMW Select finance @ 7.5%APR over 2 years. With the APR i estimated its about 8% discount in the end.

Shipment times for X3's have dropped, and your spec is high- I would aim for at least 10%. If you feel brave go for more- you can always go down from a high discount.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #2277
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Just ordered mine today, ended up adding the Xenon's, DAB, powered tailgate and bluetooth / usb.

Dealer estimates delivery around mid to late January.

DAB will be standard from Jan though dealer stated that the price was going up £400.

Last edited by am36; 11-17-2012 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #2278
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post
Just ordered mine today, ended up adding the Xenon's, DAB, powered tailgate and bluetooth / usb.

DAB will be std from Jan thogh dealer stated that the price was going up £400.
You won't be disappointed with denims or powered tailgate - Bluetooth good too

Doesn't DAB come standard on cars BUILT from January? You may or may not be lucky getting it included at no cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #2279
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by am36 View Post

DAB will be standard from Jan though dealer stated that the price was going up £400.
The Xenons were a last minute add on for me (visability package) but sooooo worth it. I cant imagine the look of the X3 without the Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #2280
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Recommendation for car insurance UK

Hi all,

Its coming up to that time of year were I have to renew my car insurance.
The last couple of years I've used Admiral Multi Car and got good rates. As per usual this year they emailled me my renewal which is initially very poor- but when I get round the website stopping existing policy holders getting a fresh quote I can knock £300 off the quote.

At the moment I'm getting an inclusive quote of circa £600 for the 30d X3 and the misses Honda Jazz. Both with full Business use. £400 for the x3, £200 for the Honda. 13 years No Claims for the X3, 2 on the Honda.

Can't get close to £600 by either running seperate quotes or other multi car policies.

Anyone any other ideas before I push the button to renew?

BTW, I'm sick of insurance companies auto diallers trying to contact me . Remind me to use a false number to get initial quotes.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #2281
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep

Have you tried Directline? We have full business use through them (the cars, X3 and 5 Series) are owned by the business, but husband and I are the registered keepers. Not exactly sure what we pay, but it is competitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #2282
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Moneysupermarket the best for car insurance comparison in my experience (have tried all of the other main search engines). Quotes don't really mean much without excess as well but Privilege and LV came out on top for me (Privilege £328 with £250 excess). I'm only insuring a 20d though

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #2283
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Moneysupermarket the best for car insurance comparison in my experience (have tried all of the other main search engines). Quotes don't really mean much without excess as well but Privilege and LV came out on top for me (Privilege £328 with £250 excess). I'm only insuring a 20d though
Admiral called again- and I ended up buying through them.
Both cars for £578 (£371 for X3 30d SE), unfortunately I wanted to add two friends on for our ski trip in January. Because the trip is 9 days, I need two weeks cover which works out at £22 per person per week- £88. It was only £100 to put them both on for a year! So total came to £678.

A fair price for something I hope not to use
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #2284
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

OP- I hope it's ok to continue using this thread for UK based questions/issues/updates. Can the thread be renamed UK Orders/Questions/Issues/Updates?

Phil
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #2285
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post

OP- I hope it's ok to continue using this thread for UK based questions/issues/updates. Can the thread be renamed UK Orders/Questions/Issues/Updates?

Phil
I get royalties for each reply so you carry on

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #2286
Mdr10
Rep

Hi. May I ask what kind of discounts people are seeing recently?

I won't be taking finance so preferably I would be interested in what people in similar circumstances managed.

Initial reaction from dealer has been a bit discouraging.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #2287
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I won't be taking finance so preferably I would be interested in what people in similar circumstances managed.

I think you'll find that dealers do not like cash buyers (or ones getting their own finance)- there's less margin for them.
You need to go to the dealer armed with all your facts and figures pre-worked out. Research, Research, Research!!
I needed finance so I asked for a 8% discount, based upon getting my own independant finance at 5.9%APR over two years. Ended up getting 10% discount based upon using using the dealer BMW select finance (PCP) at 7.5% APR. With the higher BMW APR it meant 8% discount to me- but additional kick back to the dealer from BMW finance.
The BMW Select PCP like most finance forward load the interest. So say the interest over 2 years on £37k is £3, they will add it the finance then set the interest at 0%. So a £37k finance becomes £40k with flat rate payments.

Once you are aware of the extra sums dealers receive with Finance, GAP insurance, Bodywork protection etc etc- you can see why they are less helpfully to a pure cash buyer.
Reverse logic might be it's cheaper to take the finance and pay it off immediately rather then a pure cash transaction.

I'd be interested to find out what discount you do get in the end.

I have an excel finance calculator if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #2288
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

When you say initial reaction what stage did you get to? You won't usually get a serious discount until you're about to sign on the dotted line and then you drop the price by a couple of thousand and be prepared to walk away if they say no. Might be worth taking a quote from somewhere like drivethedeal too and seeing if they'll match it

Appreciate 0