BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-15-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Retrofit LCI HVAC panel

The HVAC panel of the pre-LCI F25 strikes me as somewhat outdated, with low resolution. The LCI "black panel" HVAC obviously fixes this, but was wondering if a retrofit would be possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Does the LCI panel have any improved functionality? For the most part, my pre LCI HVAC does a really good job controlling to the set temperature so I am curious what the certainly large cost of the new panel will buy you.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #3
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Sorry to bump an old thread. I have seen a couple of people do this mod but cant find a definitive answer if coding is required.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Who have you seen do this mod? Other than the look, is there any change in functionality?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I've done this on a 2011 X3. It's not a straight forward swap, however it's not particularly hard either. The panel mounting points don't all line up with the original HVAC controls. The solution is to either replace the "mounting cage" behind the HVAC panel or Dremel out a couple spots on the back of the new panel to clear some of the mounting points. All in all it took me maybe 15 minutes to do the swap. No coding is required at all and everything works great. Huge improvement to the interior and it might just be me but I swear some of the heating elements respond faster now... like the seats warm up faster.
      12-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
On a side note, while I was in there I also swapped the idrive screen surround for the newer version, swapped out the HVAC vents surrounds for the high gloss versions and replaced all of the speakers with BMW individual audio units. everything was plus and play except the idrive surround, that took some finesse since the screens are different shapes.
      12-15-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
I've done this on a 2011 X3. It's not a straight forward swap, however it's not particularly hard either. The panel mounting points don't all line up with the original HVAC controls. The solution is to either replace the "mounting cage" behind the HVAC panel or Dremel out a couple spots on the back of the new panel to clear some of the mounting points. All in all it took me maybe 15 minutes to do the swap. No coding is required at all and everything works great. Huge improvement to the interior and it might just be me but I swear some of the heating elements respond faster now... like the seats warm up faster.
Quote:
On a side note, while I was in there I also swapped the idrive screen surround for the newer version, swapped out the HVAC vents surrounds for the high gloss versions and replaced all of the speakers with BMW individual audio units. everything was plus and play except the idrive surround, that took some finesse since the screens are different shapes.
Sounds good! Interestingly I am about to do the exact same mods as you

I have bought;

- LCI HVAC
- LCI gloss black trim vent surround
- LCI gloss back headlamp switch surround
- HK speakers and subs

Hoping to start fitting in the next week or so.

One question, you mentioned you changed to the LCI idrive screen surround. Did you swap the entire screen or just surround?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #8
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I only did the surround, so it would have the little chrome inserts. Required a bit of filing down and then I used some 3M double sided tape to ensure a really tight solid fit. All in all it looks factory and adds a bit of class to the interior.
The HK system should sound great. I actually got the individual audio speakers from the M3 for my swap. Didn't replace the factory subs since I already installed a Focal 10. One of these days I'll upgrade the amp since that's supposed to be a HUGE improvement. But even without the amp the system is light-years beyond the stock system. The highs are much clearer and defined and there is more mid-range than before.
      12-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I only did the surround, so it would have the little chrome inserts. Required a bit of filing down and then I used some 3M double sided tape to ensure a really tight solid fit. All in all it looks factory and adds a bit of class to the interior.
The HK system should sound great. I actually got the individual audio speakers from the M3 for my swap. Didn't replace the factory subs since I already installed a Focal 10. One of these days I'll upgrade the amp since that's supposed to be a HUGE improvement. But even without the amp the system is light-years beyond the stock system. The highs are much clearer and defined and there is more mid-range than before.
Sounds good. What sound system did you originally have? Was it Base system or business hi-fi?

If Base, I didn't think there was an amp?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #10
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I'm in US so our base system is the HiFi system.
      12-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm in US so our base system is the HiFi system.
Ok thanks again.

Looking forward upgrading the speakers. Was going to use this guide -
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I used their video for mine as well, only difference I noticed was the tweeter speaker grill on the driver's door didn't need to be removed on my 2011. I think the passenger was just like their videos but can't remember for sure.
I attached a pic of the speakers I used for anybody else looking to upgrade. I included front and rear shots for comparison of cone material and magnets as well as how I modified the tweeter mounts to work in the X3. The BMW Individual Audio speakers on on the right in all the pics.
Attached Images