BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC Comp

Question Owners of X4M Competition - Your Thoughts / Experience?

I am looking at X4M Competition as my potential sports daily SUV when I don’t need to drive my big truck.

What are your thoughts about these X4M Comps - pros and cons as a daily, must have optional package(s), what to look out for when inspecting / PPI’ing, etc.? Any known issues, especially costly repairs / maintenance?

I would appreciate your feedback and experience on these. I was looking at ’21 M5 Comps but I am a real estate consultant and some times I have to haul things (usually for sale/broker open signs) so that’s why I’m looking at the X4M.

Right now, I have my eye on an X4M I really like.

Thanks.
-DK

PFA
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      12-30-2023, 12:14 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
X4 has the same cargo space as the M5, if you get it, get it fully loaded, drive assist is a must. No known issues unless you tune it, then you'll probably want to get the rear diff bolt upgraded. Thats about it...
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      12-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Joining the discussion. Also looking for X4M Comp in San Marino Blue (sadly a true unicorn).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #4
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

2020 X4M Comp Here with every option, daily driver also a 20+ year RE professional. This car is by FAR the best RE car I've had. It is fast, the ride is rough but it is so worth it to me. My DD's for RE have been an M5, Cayenne Turbo, E550, CLS550 and a 650GC.... There is no comparison, the X4M is absolutely the business. (someone mentioned that the M5 has the same trunk space, that may be true but the M5 trunk is much more shallow which is problematic for RE signs)

It is an M and if you are like me you are driving a lot of miles. This is a full M car and everything is expensive on this, much more so than your 640. Brakes are $$$, an oil change is double a typical BMW etc etc. Again it is completely worth the fun I have.

I would try and get a CPO.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      12-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnfamilyguy2020 View Post
2020 X4M Comp Here with every option, daily driver also a 20+ year RE professional. This car is by FAR the best RE car I've had. It is fast, the ride is rough but it is so worth it to me. My DD's for RE have been an M5, Cayenne Turbo, E550, CLS550 and a 650GC.... There is no comparison, the X4M is absolutely the business. (someone mentioned that the M5 has the same trunk space, that may be true but the M5 trunk is much more shallow which is problematic for RE signs)

It is an M and if you are like me you are driving a lot of miles. This is a full M car and everything is expensive on this, much more so than your 640. Brakes are $$$, an oil change is double a typical BMW etc etc. Again it is completely worth the fun I have.

This is what scares me lol all the expensive maintenance down the line. That being said, I’m going to see this x4mc tomorrow lol hopefully I don’t fall in love during the test drive hahah
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatJoey View Post
This is what scares me lol all the expensive maintenance down the line. That being said, I’m going to see this x4mc tomorrow lol hopefully I don’t fall in love during the test drive hahah
You will!!
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      12-30-2023, 10:41 PM   #7
Motivology
'14 M6 GC Comp Owner
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 GC Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
X4 has the same cargo space as the M5, if you get it, get it fully loaded, drive assist is a must. No known issues unless you tune it, then you'll probably want to get the rear diff bolt upgraded. Thats about it...
Driver Assistant is a must, no doubt. The question is, which level is a must. I see there’s DA, DA Plus, & DA Pro. If you live in Germany (I believe), there’s DA Motorist that is the top of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Joining the discussion. Also looking for X4M Comp in San Marino Blue (sadly a true unicorn).
Ha - that’s a popular color choice. Definitely hard to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnfamilyguy2020 View Post

I am glad to hear an experience from an owner who is also RE in the business. Thank you for chiming in. Fascinating that you picked X4M Comp out of the rest you’ve had as the best.

He may be right about the cargo space comparison to an M5 however the X4M definitely has more height like you said - hence why I am looking at them for RE signs.

I knew the maintenance was going to be much more than my 640, that is to be expected. Luckily, I have a local BMW independent shop that will shoot me straight and tells me what it really needs & what can wait. There’s another local shop that’s also well known so it helps to have those two in my back pocket instead of the dealership (unless warranty related).

Ideally, it would be best to find one that is CPO but private party sale. That way I pay no sales tax (~8% here in AZ). It’ll be difficult to find the right one but not impossible.

PS. Which brokerage are you with, or did you start your own?

-DK
Appreciate 2
HeatJoey1221.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
      12-30-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

It's a super fun SUV to drive with a lot of power. Same engine (S58)that the new M3/4 have. Pretty reliable but if you plan to tune it, I would upgrade the rear diff bolt. Overall great car
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50
      12-31-2023, 04:39 AM   #9
ajbM4cab
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab / M240 Cab / M235i XD

Garage List
Have had my Sophisto Grey (dark graphite in US) X4M competition for just on 2 months now and it is proving to be the best daily I have ever owned. Not my first choice in exterior colour but so glad I did now.
Plenty fast and spacious with a great ride height. Performance and handling so good it is hard to believe it is a SUV at times.
Boot / cargo space plentiful with only a loss to the X3 due to the coupe tail off. Even better with rear seats down.
Seats are great and plenty comfy with the multi point adjustments.
Economy is how you drive like most. I have a 90 miles commute 80% motorway and regularly achieve 26-27 mpg.
Exhaust sounds great in all modes economy sport sport plus.
Handling is rewarding and it maintains that RWD feel albeit 4WD
I have fitted Eibach springs to mine which has slightly lowered the car but also certainly took that ride harshness away by further improving the comfort. The ride was very harsh until the springs changed.
Also have Michelin PS4s all around.
Loaded with most factory extras, drive assist, carbon enhanced interior but the pan roof being the must have IMO.
Also have extended individual ivory merino which was a must for me to give that bright and fresh space when combined with the pan roof. A simple regular wipe down with a warm microfibres cloth keeps it fresh.
For services, like you have said I will be using a local independent.
Great car u won’t be disappointed.
Other than checking for usual service history and evidence of bumps etc. the main one to check for is the ‘paint peeling issues’.
Not sure what years or countries allocation this affects. But you can search throughout this forum for posts on this.
Also check to see whether the onboard backup battery has been replaced. This is a small rechargeable battery than is located in the rear headliner and under the shark fin. It provides a secondary backup for emergency communications etc in the unfortunate event of an accident when the main battery is automatically isolated for safety reasons. This allows the emergency call system to remain active. It is common for this battery to start failing after 3-4 years in early cars.
Not an expensive item
To replace (£60 eBay) but so labour intensive that cost to replace would include for near 4/5 hours labour to remove the rear interior pillar trims and headliner.
Mine went literally one month in so luckily still under my used warranty.
When these initially start to fail the ‘emergency call system not available’ message is displayed on the dash in replacement of the odometer display. It will come and go initially so hard to detect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
HeatJoey1221.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
      12-31-2023, 05:33 AM   #10
HeatJoey
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

[QUOTE=Motivology;30772613]I am glad to hear an experience from an owner who is also RE in the business. Thank you for chiming in. Fascinating that you picked X4M Comp out of the rest you’ve had as the best.

He may be right about the cargo space comparison to an M5 however the X4M definitely has more height like you said - hence why I am looking at them for RE signs.

I knew the maintenance was going to be much more than my 640, that is to be expected. Luckily, I have a local BMW independent shop that will shoot me straight and tells me what it really needs & what can wait. There’s another local shop that’s also well known so it helps to have those two in my back pocket instead of the dealership (unless warranty related).

Ideally, it would be best to find one that is CPO but private party sale. That way I pay no sales tax (~8% here in AZ). It’ll be difficult to find the right one but not impossible.

-DK

Funny I’m In RE too! Commercial only though. Im with svn.
Previous rides '23 MBW X3 30i, '22 Charger Hellcat Triple Nickel, '21 Charger Widebody Scat Pack F8, '21 DD R/T White, '19 Challenger Widebody Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8, '18 Audi SQ5, '18 Daytona 392, '16 Scat Pack Granite, '15 Durango R/T Blacktop, '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue, '12 Audi Q5, '10 Mustang, '08 BMW E90 M3, '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:48 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivology View Post
Driver Assistant is a must, no doubt. The question is, which level is a must. I see there’s DA, DA Plus, & DA Pro. If you live in Germany (I believe), there’s DA Motorist that is the top of the line.

Ha - that’s a popular color choice. Definitely hard to find one.

I am glad to hear an experience from an owner who is also RE in the business. Thank you for chiming in. Fascinating that you picked X4M Comp out of the rest you’ve had as the best.

-DK
It's perhaps easier to find intelligent life in this galaxy than locate X4MC with San Marino Blue / Sakhir Orange combination.

Engaging NASA to help ... and this community.
Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1221.50