BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
egr2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2012

True 5.1 Surround Sound?

After listening to a few 5.1 discs, I began to wonder if I was actually hearing true surround sound. I used a DVD that includes a 5.1 test feature, playing a 10-second burst of pink noise from each of the channels.

Front Left, Front Right and Center all sounded fine. The Rear Left and Rear Right bursts, however, each came from Front Left and Front Right. And there seems to be no ".1" channel (sub woofer), either.

I've looked for information in the owners manual, to see if I need to configure the system from stereo to 5.1, but I come up dry.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
sn19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2012

Were they movie DVDs or the music ones. If they are music DVDs, can I know which ones you tried. I have tried few music DVDs with 5.1 surround but got a message- unreadable. I have not heard 5.1 surround in mine yet. I have 2012 35i with prem sound/tech/premium pack in USA. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
egr2
Registered
Rep

This was a "movie" DVD, "David Gilmour in Concert." This, and a few others, come with a special feature that allows you to calibrate your 5.1 setup.

I've seen an earlier thread, where people were having issues playing the 'DVD Audio' format. I had the same problem with a disc in that format, and frankly wasn't surprised, since that format has never really taken off.

I was surprised, though, to find that I wasn't getting 5.1 discrete channels of sound in this car and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything before I go complaining...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
egr2
Registered
Rep

So, I've actually answered my own question for anyone curious:

While the sales material stated we'd have 5.1 surround sound, the owners manual states:

"When surround is activated, multi-channel playback is simulated when a stereo audio track is played" (my italics)

This usually means that a bit of echo has been added to the stereo... Looks like I need to do some complaining...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Complaining? Dude, it's a car not a movie theater.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
egr2
Registered
Rep

I can see why some people would just compromise, be happy with what they have and not "make trouble."

But if the sticker claims that car has 5.1 sound -- or any other feature for that matter -- and the car actually doesn't have that feature... Then yes, I complain...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
sn19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr2
I can see why some people would just compromise, be happy with what they have and not "make trouble."

But if the sticker claims that car has 5.1 sound -- or any other feature for that matter -- and the car actually doesn't have that feature... Then yes, I complain...
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr2 View Post

I don't think any one would keep quite if he / she knows that what is given is not what was paid for. Main issue is that most of us do not know or have no means/ knowledge to verify if the right equipment / feature has been given to them and thus seek forum's help.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr2 View Post

"When surround is activated, multi-channel playback is simulated when a stereo audio track is played" (my italics)

Whoa! This is not at all stating the vehicle is not capable of 5.1 surround sound. It is just saying if a stereo source is used then there is then only two channels of data available and the system will simulate the remaining channels. The source material has to have the 5.1 information coded into it for any system, home, automotive, etc. to accurately reproduce it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Whoa! This is not at all stating the vehicle is not capable of 5.1 surround sound. It is just saying if a stereo source is used then there is then only two channels of data available and the system will simulate the remaining channels. The source material has to have the 5.1 information coded into it for any system, home, automotive, etc. to accurately reproduce it.
I think he's fully aware of that and that's why he's using a test 5.1 source which produces music in one channel at a time so you can check your speaker/amp setup. I have a test cycle for my home 5.1 setup. I don't see any benefit in using 5.1 for music at home or in a car personally but if you want it and you've paid for it....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0