BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

bmw apps for iphone only

I am about to order my x3, i am looking at the options. I am not very clear on what the bmw apps give. One of the features is that you have video playback from your iphone.

I'm android, not iphone. Is this integrated for iphones, or will it work with any smart phone.

Also, is there something extra for btooth with bmw assist? It says with 'enhanced btooth and usb'.

appreciate if someone can explain just what bmw apps option really gives me.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

It seems that "apps" is iphone only.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

It's only for iPhone. The main benefits are ability to get full Pandora interface in iDrive as well as web radio. It also gives you access to Facebook and twitter, but I have no interest in accessing those in my car. In my opinion, it's worth the 250 bucks solely for Pardora connectivity. Web radio is cool too.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but is it possible to use BMW Apps with an iPhone but have the bluetooth paired with an Android phone? I have two phones: one Android and one iPhone.

My Android is my primary number which I would like to use as my main phone in the car, but I would also like to use my iPhone for BMW Apps simultaneously. Do you know if this is possible?

I pick up my 2012 X3 in about a week and my current 2009 X3 obviously doesn't have this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I don't mean to go off on a tangent, but is it possible to use BMW Apps with an iPhone but have the bluetooth paired with an Android phone? I have two phones: one Android and one iPhone.

My Android is my primary number which I would like to use as my main phone in the car, but I would also like to use my iPhone for BMW Apps simultaneously. Do you know if this is possible?

I pick up my 2012 X3 in about a week and my current 2009 X3 obviously doesn't have this. Thanks!
I don't know 100% but this should work fine. BT isn't completely independent because if you connect a phone to USB you lose BT audio streaming from the phone but BT pairing for speaking on the phone remains intact.

Therefore if you use a phone exclusively for BT telephone calls and an iPhone only for BMW Apps you should be OK

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

BMW Apps is also good for the iPhone plug in giving you a better interface to iTunes and playlists (compared with the poor one on iDrive). Also ability to watch videos from an iPhone on iDrive

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

ok. thanks for this. as i don't have iphone, don't need.

is there any other btooth enhancement etc. that I need to look for in the options. I am getting premium and tech pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post

It should work. I tried it this morning with a BlackBerry and an iPhone. Both are Paired to my 2011 X3, but the BlackBerry was the Connected (active) phone. The iPhone was connected to the USB port in the armrest via the white cable. I was able to listen to Web Radio using BMW Apps. I made a call using the BlackBerry. Web Radio was muted, and returned when I ended the call.
Appreciate 0