BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
sids911
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, 3 GT

I was looking into disabling the auto start stop functionality. Seems I need the F series ODB2 ENET cable which has ODB2 on one end and Ethernet on the other. I also saw some BMW ODB2 to USB cables - will those USB based cables also work for the F series coding software?

I have a MacBook Pro Retina which doesn't have Ethernet anymore ("legacy hardware" per Apple)

Thanks
Sid
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Unfortunately obd2 cable with USB will not work. Suggest an old laptop or net book with windows XP with about 50-60Gb free space on HD. You should first try a solution that definitely works, lateron you can experiment the way you want.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
MacAttackBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line - Alpine

Just read that this is now a dealer configurable option. They won't fully disable it, but they will set it to remember its last setting so once you turn it off, it won't come back on even after turning the car off and on. Call your dealer!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
sids911
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, 3 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW
Just read that this is now a dealer configurable option. They won't fully disable it, but they will set it to remember its last setting so once you turn it off, it won't come back on even after turning the car off and on. Call your dealer!
That's EXACTLY what I thought! But my dealer in San Diego (BMW South County) hasn't the faintest idea! Is there a service bulletin on this for the X3? There is one for the 3 series but (to my knowledge) none for the X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i

I have the retina macbook pro and have successfully coded multiple options with my macbook.

You will need all the normal software, the ethernet to thunderbolt adapter, and windows 7 installed via bootcamp.

Once you have all that ready, you will need to make sure the ethernet adapter is connected BEFORE you boot into windows, or else it will have trouble seeing it. Everything is coding as usual after that. Just start up E-sys and go to town.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Theelblue
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttackBMW
That's EXACTLY what I thought! But my dealer in San Diego (BMW South County) hasn't the faintest idea! Is there a service bulletin on this for the X3? There is one for the 3 series but (to my knowledge) none for the X3.
I showed the link to my dealer and they agreed to perform an update on my X3. I haven't scheduled it yet. So we will see if they actually do it when push comes to shove.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729556
Appreciate 0