BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Possible future X3 owner

Went for test drives at BMW and now in the process of deciding if it's feasible for me to go for the X3. Didn't test out the Q5 as the dealer I visited didn't have one in the showroom and all the sale people seem to be busy at the time. It might be the closest competitor and I might still drop by sometime next week for a spin.

Sat in my friend's RX450 and my neighbor has a 450h. They provide comfortable ride and the interior is very nice. However I like to have good driving dynamics and everyone say the Lexus is soft.

GLK is nice but not my style. Again from research it offers a softer ride.

Not a Volvo fan so that's not an option. The Infiniti are supposed to be well equipped and fast but they are not that roomy (again from reading) and supposedly not the greatest on gas.

RDX looks not much bigger than my WRX. The MDX is nice and the finance rate is good so I might go take a look. It might be bigger than I need but I think it, along with the Q5 would be a close competitor for me to go along side the X3.

If I do decide the X3 is a go, then it's deciding the color. I am leaning toward Titan Silver, Alpine White, and Space Grey in that order.

Question for Canadian owners:

- Were you able to get much of a discount? My guess is MSRP is $4500 or so above invoice? Correct me if I am wrong.

- Do you plan to buy a set of winter wheels and tires? What are you going with?

- The 5.9% lease or 4.9% finance isn't great. Since demand is high
not much we can do. Residual is 52% after 3 years. I am deciding lease
vs finance. I don't usually keep my cars more than 3 years. This one could be an exception though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
Went for test drives at BMW and now in the process of deciding if it's feasible for me to go for the X3. Didn't test out the Q5 as the dealer I visited didn't have one in the showroom and all the sale people seem to be busy at the time. It might be the closest competitor and I might still drop by sometime next week for a spin.

Sat in my friend's RX450 and my neighbor has a 450h. They provide comfortable ride and the interior is very nice. However I like to have good driving dynamics and everyone say the Lexus is soft.

Not a Volvo fan so that's not an option. The Infiniti are supposed to be well equipped and fast but they are not that roomy (again from reading) and supposedly not the greatest on gas.

RDX looks not much bigger than my WRX. The MDX is nice and the finance rate is good so I might go take a look. It might be bigger than I need but I think it, along with the Q5 would be a close competitor for me to go along side the X3.

If I do decide the X3 is a go, then it's deciding the color. I am leaning toward Titan Silver, Alpine White, and Space Grey in that order.

- Were you able to get much of a discount? My guess is MSRP is $4500 or so above invoice? Correct me if I am wrong.

vs finance. I don't usually keep my cars more than 3 years. This one could be an exception though.
Hey!!! My friend has an Infiniti EX35 which i borrowed for a few months and i HATE IT!!! lol... the power delivery is not linear and seems to have "turbo lag" even though it is naturally aspirated... it also does not feel very stable around the corners and feels like it has a lot of body roll... it is completely different than how an Infiniti G35/37 feels like...

The invoice price is $4500 below the MSRP (i have the carcost report), I was able to get $3000 off as I had a wonderful sales person.

I bought the M Package so I have 19" all seasons, and I do not intend to buy winter tires as I have never changed winter tires (even though I had 2 rear wheel drive 5 series in the past).

When I bought my car and signed the lease contract, which was at the end of March and got my car end of May, the lease rate was 5.9% for 39 months with 20,000 km/year with a residual of 52%. To my understanding, it is currently 5.9% lease rate for 39 months with 20,000 km /year with a residual of 50% now. If I had only signed the lease contract a bit earlier (2 weeks), my residual would be even higher of 54% and it would've saved me around $1000 for the whole term.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
RDX looks not much bigger than my WRX. The MDX is nice and the finance rate is good so I might go take a look.
I have an RDX. It's actually a bit bigger than the X3 in my opinion, with more interior passenger space (especially width in the seating area and rear passenger leg room). It also seems larger (more bulbous) on the outside, based on an eyeball comparison when I parked next to an X3 at the dealer. I was surprised. The RDX has roughly the same throttle response and pep as the X3-35i. I think the RDX has sharper steering and handling, but the ride is very rough. The X3 has a much better ride/handling balance. To me, the biggest strike against the RDX is the abominable real world gas mileage (I get 18-20 mpg with a mostly-highway commute). Overall, I feel the X3 is a better choice as long as you're OK with the interior space.

The MDX is quite good across the board, but I think the gas mileage is a downside (at least in this case, you get a big engine and a big vehicle, so it makes sense unlike the RDX). The MDX stacks up against the X5 more so than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I owned an Acura MDX and dumped it with 48,000 miles on it. Turns out the MDX's Torque converters are known to fail and Acura chooses not to recall them. I know the problem was still happening with the 2010 models so who knows if anything has changed yet. If you google it, there are 500+ posts on Edmunds on the failure and Acura's unwillingness to do anything about it. I will never recommend Acura to anyone after what I went through with my MDX. A vehicle shouldn't need a new transmission after 48,000 miles on it. Pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Cool. Thanks for the info. MDX/RDX are very popular here where I am at. Q5 a lot of people like too. I had a 03 TL-S before and beside the known transmission issues (didn't affect me) I had zero problem, just like my previous Maxima x2, and current beater 93 Pathfinder.

Interestingly with my 2010 WRX my average gas usage is about 9.6L/100 km. May be I drive like a grandma. When I was testing the 35i it was near 14.4L/100 km. That is close to what my 04 CTS-V was doing. I would assume the mileage will get better after breakin.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I am also in Western Canada, Kelowna, to be precise. I believe you are in Calgary?

In reply to your two original queries:

1. No, I was not able to get much off MSRP, a bit only, and some freebies. Canadian dealers, generally, are hard to push off MSRP.

2. I believe strongly in winter tires and wheels, especially for places like Calgary, and here. I have a set of 4 BMW OEM 308 wheels being held for me at the dealers (these were "take-offs" from another new X3), and I will get either the Dunlop WinterSports or the Michelin Blizzaks for them in the Fall. I am getting a good deal on the wheels and tires. My MSport wheels are 19", the 308s are 18".

I have driven a number of the other vehicles you mentioned, and, for me, the F25 X3, especially in 35i MSport form, is the best of the bunch.
      06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
I traded my RDX in for this car. The X3 is bigger, quieter, has significantly more grunt, better technology, and a far better ride. My RDX was an '09 and I heard they fixed some of the ride issues with the '10 model, but really no comparison for me.

I'm going with winter tires for Chicago. I haven't pulled the trigger on smaller wheels yet, but I will eventually.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
I traded my RDX in for this car. The X3 is bigger...
I just checked the specs because I was curious about this (note my previous observation that the RDX felt bigger). Turns out the two vehicles are within 0.5-1" in almost all dimensions, going both ways. Biggest difference I saw was about an inch more shoulder room in the RDX. The only other difference of note is the weight -- seems the X3 is about 400 lbs heavier. That seems misleading to me -- feels opposite on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Did anyone put 3M hood, mirror film protection on their cars? How about paint protection? I did 3M for my WRX but am wondering if these two are worth the money. Dealer also have the leather/leatherette protection where if seats etc gets damaged they will replace.

Those who went with winter tires, the WinterSport and the Blizzak are the two known options correction?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

For those who are in Canada and got the M Sports package can you tell me if you got the 309 or 369 rims? Is the set up staggered, and which tires did your X come with?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For those who are in Canada and got the M Sports package can you tell me if you got the 309 or 369 rims? Is the set up staggered, and which tires did your X come with?
MSport in Canada is 369M wheels, not staggered, Goodyear LS2.
      07-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
MSport in Canada is 369M wheels, not staggered, Goodyear LS2.
Same as mine...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you sir. I did check bmw.ca about the 369 but it didn't mentioned the non-staggered set up. I don't recall if you kept the LS2. If so are you happy with it? Some people seem to like the Continental or Pirelli's better.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir. I did check bmw.ca about the 369 but it didn't mentioned the non-staggered set up. I don't recall if you kept the LS2. If so are you happy with it? Some people seem to like the Continental or Pirelli's better.
I still have the LS2s on. I will be getting 4 winter tires later on, so am not concerned about the LS2s. Some like the Conti or Pirellis but I think you have to be driving more aggresively (eg, on a track) before the LS2s become a liability.

This is an X3, not an M3..!! Don't worry about it.
      07-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

Quote:

We ordered our X3 2 weeks ago in Ontario and were able to 6% off MSRP; about 2% above wholesale. This took a lot of negotiating and walking away from 2 dealerships until the third was able to make the deal!

We are going to keep the all seasons that come with the M Sport package and see how we do; although they are rated very poorly! We had Pirelli Scorpians on our 2009 Nissan Murano for the past 2 winters and they were awesome! It drove through snow like a tractor!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

There are very few places in Canada that I would want to go thru winter on the Goodbeer LS2s..short of urban Vancouver only.

I think you will find you need winter tires in Ontario.
      07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #17
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It's been 3 weeks. I can't wait any longer, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

clarka@csolve.net,
can you share which Ontario dealership gave you the deal? I am interested in getting an X3 this year.
Appreciate 0