BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-23-2022, 12:34 AM   #1
250kmiles
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3, 525i bmw

Front brakes locks once only per trip

Hi guys.

I have f25 x3 bmw 2011 with a weird brakes issue.

Before I start I would like to mention that I had to change gear shifter( maybe this has to do) with it because of annoying chime sounds when I come to complete stop or if I'm in automatic and switch to D.
This thread sums it up so thanks god for that.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1360823

Anyways when I turn the car on and drive it for a bit. I noticed most of the time when I go over 40 miles/h the very first brake I do hard or soft , the fornt brakes seems to bite hard on the front brakes so I have to come to a stop otherwise I have to over work the engine and drive against the front brakes resistance. After I stop the brake pedal becomes hard but If I press it everything comes back to normal with no issues. Until I turn off the car. The issue happens once as long as the the car and engine is on.

I did a lot of testing before posting this. When the issue happens i parked and used a car jack and noticed both front breakes locked the rear can be hand rotated on N.

What do you think guys..

There is no lights, codes whatsoever.
I don't think it's parking break/pedals/emergency/hill control breaks. breaking brakes since these work on the rear breaks
Break booster looks fine.
I checked the front tires with rotating them while on a car jack no sign of mechanical failure of piston or sliding pin.

I am thinking it's abs system or fuse?
I have little oil leak could that effect the engine vaccum which causing this or is this nonsense
I have little gasket oil leak could that affect the engine vaccum
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

This sounds like the same issue I was having on my daughter's X3 and have read others also dealing with it...

The DSC or abs brake motor and valve assembly has a blockage in it that causes the front brakes to go into a lock position until the pressure in the valve body dissipates..and then it will drive fine till it blocks again.

How I fixed mine. I found an abs motor/valve assembly on eBay. Ordered it and took the valve body off the used one and swapped with mine... This keeping the original abs computer and motor... As changing the PC on it requires coding...this didn't. problem has been solved ever since...you will need to DSC bleed your brake system.

$250-300 and it's been good.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:41 AM   #3
250kmiles
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3, 525i bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
This sounds like the same issue I was having on my daughter's X3 and have read others also dealing with it...

The DSC or abs brake motor and valve assembly has a blockage in it that causes the front brakes to go into a lock position until the pressure in the valve body dissipates..and then it will drive fine till it blocks again.

How I fixed mine. I found an abs motor/valve assembly on eBay. Ordered it and took the valve body off the used one and swapped with mine... This keeping the original abs computer and motor... As changing the PC on it requires coding...this didn't. problem has been solved ever since...you will need to DSC bleed your brake system.

$250-300 and it's been good.
Thank you so much for replying.
I experimented this to death and I totally agree. It is module issue for sure. If it happens and turn off the engine then on it wont happen but when I turn off the ignition and start over it happens again so no vaccum leak brake pump issue whatsoever. I can only think of a computer issue.
When I have a flat tire it doesn't happen at all. So you're most likely right it's the DSC/abs unit. Still no codes on my advanced scanner whatsoever. I checked speed sensors they are good nothing abnormal.
Appreciate 0