BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
nshack31
Rep
Drives: x3 F25

Sound from Android unit

Hi all, I have purchased an android head unit (specifically this one https://xtrons.co.uk/bmw-x3-x4-andro...-rom-qb80x3nbs) and am facing issues with AUX.

As part of the installation I moved the fiber optic cables to a new wiring loom. The sound works fine for radio and CD but in android mode there is no sound. One option is to run a cable from the AUX out of the unit to the AUX in at the armrest, which resolves the issue.

But what is it that stops the AUX from working without this workaround? Is it an AUX code issue in which case there could be a better way to resolve the issue without an analog cable? Or is this issue down to the model which is a 2013 NBT system?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

just did same thing

I just installed a 12.3 android unit. On some bmw model's it works with out the audio cord. I have a 13 x3 f25. After reaching out I found out I had to run the aux audio cord to the arm rest socket
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
headcrab
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI

Hi!

I recently installed a 12.3" head unit and also don't have sound working (well). Here's what I have so far:
  • BMW's in-built radio + phone work fine
  • Android navigation (Google) works through the left speaker - this seems to be magic they do with the mic connection and muting.
  • Android sound works for ~1 second when the audio is set to AUX then quickly switches to BMW's FM tuner.
  • Running an AUX cable to the glove box doesn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it is switching from AUX to FM magically without me asking it to? I've reached out to the seller but I'm not particularly hopeful..

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
headcrab
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcrab View Post
Hi!

I recently installed a 12.3" head unit and also don't have sound working (well). Here's what I have so far:
  • BMW's in-built radio + phone work fine
  • Android navigation (Google) works through the left speaker - this seems to be magic they do with the mic connection and muting.
  • Android sound works for ~1 second when the audio is set to AUX then quickly switches to BMW's FM tuner.
  • Running an AUX cable to the glove box doesn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it is switching from AUX to FM magically without me asking it to? I've reached out to the seller but I'm not particularly hopeful..

Well the seller came through beautifully.

Turns out the Android headunit binds a "sound key" to one of the preset keys, 8 for my firmware version. This can be changed in some versions but not mine.

The fix was simply to bind AUX to the number 8 preset, also means you can switch to headunit audio quickly as a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #5
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Does anyone know the easiest way to run the aux from the armrest to the headunit?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 05:17 PM   #6
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I went under the center console. I used a wire snake that I bent the end over so it doesn't get stuck. You will have to remove the trim holding your Idrive now and switches. It's an easy job just take your time and use plastic tools so you don't mark up your trim
Appreciate 0