BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Not really, dimensions thread attached
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472994

A view from X5 forum peeps on X5 over X3

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494939

It boils down to individual taste.

It's funny some of the opinions made re: the interior of an X5 vs. the X3. Unless you get a fully loaded X5 with Full leather Dash and Nappa Leather, the X3 is in no way "down market" in comparison. I don't know if those guys were comparing base model X3's with leatherette or what. X3 and X5 both feature Nevada Leather. Additionally, the controls and multi-function steering wheel of F25 X3 - sans the climate control - is the new layout in the newer models.

In Comparison to my former 550i's with Nappa leather and ceramic controls, as well as my 650cic I don't exactly feel like I'm "slumming it" in my X3.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
BSM328xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 & 2013 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
not sure, the best would be is to try both. X5 has bigger external dimensions, but passanger and luggage space is very close imo (never made a direct comparison, just sat in both, so this might be subjective).
You said it best...subjective.

Sold: 2011 328xi; 2013 X3 35i; 2013 X5 50i
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Not really, dimensions thread attached
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472994

A view from X5 forum peeps on X5 over X3

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494939

It boils down to individual taste.

It's funny some of the opinions made re: the interior of an X5 vs. the X3. Unless you get a fully loaded X5 with Full leather Dash and Nappa Leather, the X3 is in no way "down market" in comparison. I don't know if those guys were comparing base model X3's with leatherette or what. X3 and X5 both feature Nevada Leather. Additionally, the controls and multi-function steering wheel of F25 X3 - sans the climate control - is the new layout in the newer models.

In Comparison to my former 550i's with Nappa leather and ceramic controls, as well as my 650cic I don't exactly feel like I'm "slumming it" in my X3.
The X3 utilizes hard rubbers and plastics in a lot of places where AT LEAST soft touch plastics should be used. Leather is sparse. I should also have the option to wrap my X3's dash in leather, then, along with being allowed to order nicer, finer leather. I should also be allowed to order Adaptive Drive and soft close doors. It's things like that. The X5 is not only built much better, but you can make it so much nicer. I've driven an Audi Q5 with the luxury package and it's as nice as the Q7, if not nicer. Everything is screwed in under the same attention to detail and I have so much respect for that. I get the sense--from owning the American made BMWs--that BMW cares less about the entry level buyers. My car was $60,000, and it should be built to the expectation that comes with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
The X3 utilizes hard rubbers and plastics in a lot of places where AT LEAST soft touch plastics should be used. Leather is sparse. I should also have the option to wrap my X3's dash in leather, then, along with being allowed to order nicer, finer leather. I should also be allowed to order Adaptive Drive and soft close doors. It's things like that. The X5 is not only built much better, but you can make it so much nicer. I've driven an Audi Q5 with the luxury package and it's as nice as the Q7, if not nicer. Everything is screwed in under the same attention to detail and I have so much respect for that. I get the sense--from owning the American made BMWs--that BMW cares less about the entry level buyers. My car was $60,000, and it should be built to the expectation that comes with it.
I feel the X3 is more "value engineered" than the X5. Cheaper materials are used where BMW believe it's possible to get away with them. The car feels "lightly" made which probably reduces cost but it also makes it feel responsive so there is an upside to this. This is my 8th BMW and I must say it feels the least robust of all of them - but for an SUV it drives very well indeed.
      07-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

My friend lives in Durham NH.

I would say to pay close attention to both. The X3 is definitely more nimble than the X5 which is ultimately why I decided on the X3. It was a bit more "fun" to drive which was important to me as I usually drive cars and not SUVs. If this is important to you, you might want to drive both and think about that.

Otherwise I would bring the family down (maybe minus the dog) and pile into both and see how you feel. Too cramped? Comfortable? If you put some money down they might let you take the trucks on an extended test drive for a few hours in the afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #28
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Q5 been there done that- I owned a Q5 Prestige SLine with all options..X3 is comparable interior wise. - Adaptive Drive is an Option on the X3 Perhaps at the time you ordered/took delivery you were not aware of its existence. The product Brochure lists it as an option(DHP). So you want soft close doors, then yes perhaps an X5 would be better for you. At least you have an Automatic hatch - correct? Q7 does nothing for me personally not impressed.

You should also note the fact that you have experienced issues with your X3, so perhaps you are biased based on the issues you experienced? Plain and simple I don't think BMW wanted to offer every option that is available on the X5 for the X3, as it would end it up being 70k fully loaded. Obviously not BMW's intention.

BTW: at least the F25 X3 uses aluminum for the front fenders. Cant say the same for the X5. Personally, I could have taken delivery of a 2013 X5 or X6- I didn't want the "old technology" so I passed.. F15 will be a different story, and I may consider an X5 again when it is released.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I feel the X3 is more "value engineered" than the X5. Cheaper materials are used where BMW believe it's possible to get away with them. The car feels "lightly" made which probably reduces cost but it also makes it feel responsive so there is an upside to this. This is my 8th BMW and I must say it feels the least robust of all of them - but for an SUV it drives very well indeed.
^This I agree with. I also feel that they should have offered 4Zone climate control as an option. I suspect at a later date they may do so. Or the X4 may offer it as an option. I personally think that BMW cut some corners with the X70 X5 in comparison to the E53 that it superseded.. Items like Power Folding rear seats disappeared, and overall the E53 X5 is a tank (metal front fenders and all) X70 obviously features updated technology - but overall E53 felt more solidly built IMHO
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #30
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
Q5 been there done that- I owned a Q5 Prestige SLine with all options..X3 is comparable interior wise. - Adaptive Drive is an Option on the X3 Perhaps at the time you ordered/took delivery you were not aware of its existence. The product Brochure lists it as an option(DHP). So you want soft close doors, then yes perhaps an X5 would be better for you. At least you have an Automatic hatch - correct? Q7 does nothing for me personally not impressed.

You should also note the fact that you have experienced issues with your X3, so perhaps you are biased based on the issues you experienced? Plain and simple I don't think BMW wanted to offer every option that is available on the X5 for the X3, as it would end it up being 70k fully loaded. Obviously not BMW's intention.

BTW: at least the F25 X3 uses aluminum for the front fenders. Cant say the same for the X5. Personally, I could have taken delivery of a 2013 X5 or X6- I didn't want the "old technology" so I passed.. F15 will be a different story, and I may consider an X5 again when it is released.
car_fan, I would interested to learn about your observations between the former Q5 and X3. My interest is the potential of buying a Q5 for my wife and thinking the X3 could be the better option. We have test driven several vehicles but not the X3. She had previously owned a Q7 (bus but served the purpose) and A4. We have agreed to an order for a MY13 Q5 3.0T but the order queues will not open until sometime late August. Therefore we have time available to make the switch.

I am very familiar with BMW as I have placed an order for M3 coupe (plus have owned several in the past).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
sn19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2012

If you ask this question in the x5 forum, you will have more people saying that x5 is better. Same thing with x3 here. Just a couple of months before I bought my 12 x3, my friend bought x5. X5 interior to me did not appear to be luxurious compared to x3. My friend who has the x5 feels the same about it. Drive wise, x3 is more sportier. For me, unless you are planning to have third row, it may not be worth going for x5 coz there is not much of a difference in the interior space. Keep in mind that 2014 x5 will be totally new.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
car_fan, I would interested to learn about your observations between the former Q5 and X3. My interest is the potential of buying a Q5 for my wife and thinking the X3 could be the better option. We have test driven several vehicles but not the X3. She had previously owned a Q7 (bus but served the purpose) and A4. We have agreed to an order for a MY13 Q5 3.0T but the order queues will not open until sometime late August. Therefore we have time available to make the switch.

I am very familiar with BMW as I have placed an order for M3 coupe (plus have owned several in the past).
To be honest the Q5 is very nice. The only issues I had at the time ironically enough is that it was bit cramped when using a rear facing car seat, as the front passenger's leg room is all but exhausted. The interior quality as well as the performance for the Q5 was excellent. The overall interior space of the Q5 feels a bit smaller than the F25 X3. That being said if you like BMW's and you desire a smaller sized SAV there is no reason to leave the house.

The Q5 was a class of one when released as it didn't have any competition in the last generation X3, or any of the other vehicles in its class for that matter. I will say there were some niggling issues with the blind spot detection as it would take itself offline for no apparent reason, the aluminum trim was fairly delicate, and the LED DRL's would throw error messages from time to time even though they still seemed to be functional. Bang & Olufsen although not spec'd to the level of the system in the A8, provided impressive sound. Fit and Finish of the Q5 was excellent too, although you can see the leather to vinyl transitions in the seat sides if you look closely.

The F25 X3 is spot on in delivering an updated class leader. In 3.5i guise it's performance takes it to the head of the class. it is a genuine sleeper. The interior updates are nice as well with ambient lighting over head in front, as well in the front and rear door pockets. Overall dash layout - sans last generation climate control - mirrors the rest of the F-Series cars. Fit and finish is spot on here as well. Yes there are some hard plastic bits here and there, but nothing offensive. I am impressed with the interior space, as I am 6/4 and can sit comfortably with a 6 footer directly behind me. Nevada leather seems just a bit soft, I thought it would harder like Dakota leather. Technology wise I think the F25 pulls ahead a bit of the Q5.

That being said,the updated 3.0T Q5 will be nice, and a very worthy contender. Although I am more interested in it's cousin the Macan. I'm sure it will perform better than the Q5, but it will likely share the same overall dimensions as the Q and be smaller than the X3. I'm not to worried about outright performance as a DINAN tune will rectify any horsepower shortages.

You really will have to examine both closely. Personally, I would suggest the X3. But money decisions like this deserve thorough scrutiny

Last edited by car_fan; 07-04-2012 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #33
NHman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4 Prestige

car_fan, thank you for your feedback. From my limited expose to the Q5, it is a great vehicle and the 3.0T should push it further up on the performance chart. Enough to compete with the X3 3.5i, who knows. The extra interior space in the X3 could be beneficial (2 kids and 2 medium sized dogs).

I'll set a time for a test drive within the next 2 weeks and follow-up with my observations.

Again, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
car_fan
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHman View Post
car_fan, thank you for your feedback. From my limited expose to the Q5, it is a great vehicle and the 3.0T should push it further up on the performance chart. Enough to compete with the X3 3.5i, who knows. The extra interior space in the X3 could be beneficial (2 kids and 2 medium sized dogs).

I'll set a time for a test drive within the next 2 weeks and follow-up with my observations.

Again, thanks.
No problem..Drive and Inspect them both thoroughly. Be sure to take the family, dogs and stuff you would typically load up for comparison.

BTW: be sure to engage sport mode on the X3. Shifter to the left, rocker switch to sport. Try the paddle shifter's too, the 35i is a pretty engaging ride in the right mode

I should also add that my biggest complaint for the F25 X3 at this point is that BMW didn't utilize "FULL LED" taillights. Audi wins here. The current LED/Incandescent bulb setup on the X3 makes no sense.

Last edited by car_fan; 07-05-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I drove an X5 35i before ordering my X3. I was disappointed. It was a 2011 with only 5K miles and to me it felt soft, sluggish, and dated, while the X3 was quick and responsive. I don't know how the X5 was optioned, so it probably had the base suspension. It really didn't seem to be significantly larger inside than the X3, but the extra weight was readily apparent in both performance and fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I drove an X5 35i before ordering my X3. I was disappointed. It was a 2011 with only 5K miles and to me it felt soft, sluggish, and dated, while the X3 was quick and responsive. I don't know how the X5 was optioned, so it probably had the base suspension. It really didn't seem to be significantly larger inside than the X3, but the extra weight was readily apparent in both performance and fuel economy.
I agree, the X3 and X5 drive completely differently: the former is more of a car, the latter much more of a truck.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

[QUOTE=car_fan][QUOTE=juddholland;12266695]The X3 utilizes hard rubbers and plastics in a lot of places where AT LEAST soft touch plastics should be used. Leather is sparse. I should also have the option to wrap my X3's dash in leather, then, along with being allowed to order nicer, finer leather. I should also be allowed to order Adaptive Drive and soft close doors. It's things like that. The X5 is not only built much better, but you can make it so much nicer. I've driven an Audi Q5 with the luxury package and it's as nice as the Q7, if not nicer. Everything is screwed in under the same attention to detail and I have so much respect for that. I get the sense--from owning the American made BMWs--that BMW cares less about the entry level buyers. My car was $60,000, and it should be built to the expectation that comes with it.[/QUOTE=juddholland;12266695]

BTW: at least the F25 X3 uses aluminum for the front fenders. Cant say the same for the X5. Personally, I could have taken delivery of a 2013 X5 or X6- I didn't want the "old technology" so I passed.. F15 will be a different story, and I may consider an X5 again when it is released.[/QUOTE=car_fan]
I did order DHP. But DHP doesn't include adaptive anti-roll bars, which would dramatically decrease the amount of head toss that a narrow car with high center of gravity entails. In my opinion, DHP corrects only some of what makes the X3 an otherwise ponderous ride. It doesn't do much else. And forget about stability. You want a solid car? Buy an X5. Your family will thank you for it.

I didn't get an X5 because I live in a city and I don't need that much car. I try hard not to regret it because what else am I supposed to do about it? But if I had a family, I'd want my wife and kids to be in the biggest, heaviest thing out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #38
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Honesty you can't go wrong with either car, they both have minor pros and cons so neither one is necessarily better.

I don't think it's fair to say that BMW cut corners just because the X5 has a nicer interior. It's like saying the 5 series cut corners just because the 7 series has a better inside. The fact is the 2nd gen X3 is better than the 1st gen in almost every way, the only complaint I've heard is that the 1st gen had better road feel with the hydraulic steering and that's about it.

However, I have to say is that if interior luxury is a concern then neither the X3 nor the X5 is a good pick because BMW in general is almost always worse than their competitors.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
patrickcox
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i - Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
With your family size, I would get the X5 with the third row. Families tend to grow along with their stuff.

We moved from an Acura MDX to a X3 because all three of our boys are grown and out of the house. The MDX was ideal for a family and the third row comes in handy.
Hi,
I currently have a 2008 Acura MDX that is a nice vehicle and it is roomy but I am being drawn to a BMW! How was your experience moving from the MDX to BMW X series? I have not decided on X5 vs X3 but I do like the idea of the better gas mileage of the X3. We only have one child but I do like the room I have in the MDX cargo area.

Thanks!
Pat
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcox View Post
Hi,
I currently have a 2008 Acura MDX that is a nice vehicle and it is roomy but I am being drawn to a BMW! How was your experience moving from the MDX to BMW X series? I have not decided on X5 vs X3 but I do like the idea of the better gas mileage of the X3. We only have one child but I do like the room I have in the MDX cargo area.

Thanks!
Pat
As you said, the MDX is much more roomy. The downside is that it is/feels like a much larger vehicle than the X3 and I'm used to driving smaller cars (my main car is a Prius). Of course the X3 is a lot more fun to drive and gets a lot better mpg (I have a '13 28i).

Our kids are all grown so we don't need the MDX's storage area. Having said that, it does seem like the X3 doesn't have a whole lot more storage area with the rear seats down than my Prius.

As I said, the big advantage of the X5 is the third row seating. It comes in handy when you're hauling around kids and their friends.

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #41
cgun
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

What A Family-man ! I Am Single But Still Want To Choose The Bigger One.the Tragedy Is I Can Not AFFORD either Of Them In China .
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #42
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

I was in that same scenario last week. An X5 35i with Conv Package, Nav and Heated seat. An X3 35i with Premium Package, Tech Package, Cold1, Prem Sound and M-Sports Package. For my needs, the size of the X3 is all I need but $1400 more than the X5. The X3 is in the third year of its generation while the X5 is on its last year. The bottom line is that I picked the X3 over the X5.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
ericthedriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i (2011)

x5: probably better for your needs and from where you are size shouldn't be problem.

x3: your last chance to be a cool dad/mom. You'll have plenty of time to be a x5 driver down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #44
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

X5 much more likely to get stolen in the UK, particularly at the moment

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0