BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
X28 and X35: too much for the wife?

I've posted a bit before here and was able to test drive both cars, although in different states under different sort of conditions (X28 rough New England roads, X35 pristine Florida roads - actually with 19's as well).

I (the dad) would be the primary driver 85% of the time if not a little more. I have decided on the X35. I am still a little wary of the ride quality with the 18's but from research and a few PM's to board members, it seems there isn't a huge difference at all between the two in ride quality.

I could probably get thru a New England winter (roads are generally well-plowed near me) without snows with the 17's but I wonder about the X35 and the 18's (so in reality add another $1000+ for snows and the slight hassel of swapping tires evert winter and spring.).

But is the 300 Hpower too much for my wife -and she couldn't care less what engine, options, etc.. when she drives around... or is it even dangerous? She is a normal, middle of the road decent driver who doesnt speed or anything like that.

Sorry if its a weird question, it's just that im having a tough time choosing the 28 or the 35. Assume the price difference isn't a huge issue.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I don't think it would be a problem, and just because it has 300 hp - she wouldn't have to use all of it. Any way that she could test drive a 535xi if there are no x3 35i's in your area? That would give her a good indication of what the power would be like.
      01-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Can't imagine how more power could hurt -- don't have to use it and it's not gonna run away from you. Lift your foot and you're good. Power is a safety feature, too. Being able to accelerate out of a dangerous situation can often be the best option. To me, the "BMW effect" is the most dangerous if you're new to it. That deal where you suddenly realize your doing 85 but the car is quieter, smoother, and more stable than your last car at 45.

Over time maybe she'll end up driving like my wife!! Faster, smoother, more aggressive, more precise, and safer than anyone I've ever driven with -- and that's saying something considering the crowd involved.
      01-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Question for you. Why are you concerned about the ride quality of the 18's? I'm not really following. What are you looking for? What's a quality ride to you?

I've had the largest tire available (as stock) for every BMW I've owned and enjoyed the firm, controlled ride and handling that I think was augmented by the lower profile tires. I personally don't enjoy the slop of a larger tire (not that the 18's have a lot here) and believe the lower profile are generally safer in emergent situations (unless you're driving over curbs and the like, but that's uncommon for most of us). A higher profile tire generally results in less road feel, reduced precision, and lag in particularly dynamic situations.

The new X3 suspension is reportedly intended to take the harshness out of the suspension, so that should address the comfort factor significantly. If you're really looking of a comfort ride (which doesn't usually match BMW for me; I like firm, sporty, feel the road suspensions) add the Dynamic Damping Control so you can get that softer ride when you want it.
      01-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I was just adding up the previous harshness of the X3, the bitter (again previous) reported ride quality of run-flat tires, and the sometimes harshness of large wheels that are often more oriented for summer or sport driving.

It does however seem that many reviews state that the ride quality is much improved as is the technology of the run-flat tires.

That being said, I think I will stick with my original plan of the X35 and hopefully...can close the deal tomorrow as the dealer and I are about $1,000 off...

Thanks though. Great to hear knowledgeable opinions on the board as this has been such an amazing resource.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

300 HP isn't too much, especially since its a turbo, if she isn't pushing the pedal all the way down its not going to launch, so she will be fine. My wife drives my C63 once in a while, I just tell her to make sure its in "comfort" mode which makes the throttle a lot less sensitive, it almost feels like you take 150 HP away in that mode which is a good thing (also good for winter driving). Not sure if BMW acts the same way when you go from comfort to sport settings.

As far as snow tires go, I told my wife when we buy an X3 later this year that we are going to get performance tires with the M sport package and then have 17" snow tires for the winter, its just so much safer than all season and totally worth $1200 for a winter wheel/tire package. Plus remember when you don't have your summer tires on they aren't losing tread, meaning they will last you longer, basically look at winter tires as only having to buy the wheels, and you can get nice looking wheels for $150 each, who cares if they aren't BMW official. and buy them somewhere that will change them out for free every time (Discount Tire by me), takes 30 minutes twice a year, big deal. Winter tires are also the best for traction when its under 40 degrees, even without snow/ice. In some countries its illegal to drive without either snow chains or winter tires during certain times of the year, should be the same in the midwest/northeast, would make driving for everyone so much safer (and cause less traffic since people wouldn't be sliding everywhere)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Both your points make perfect sense and I like it.

I ordered my X3 35i just a few days ago and with the New England winter we have been having, I think winter tires are a must.

I think my car will arrive in early March so I will look at it for next winter and have some time to shop, etc... for a good winter package. Especially as I will go skiing, etc...

Good stuff.

Can't wait for delivery. Going with deep sea blue and the quite mysterious chestnut leather interior...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
...As far as snow tires go, I told my wife when we buy an X3 later this year that we are going to get performance tires with the M sport package and then have 17" snow tires for the winter, its just so much safer than all season and totally worth $1200 for a winter wheel/tire package....
Since your $1200 package won't be "run-flats", what's your plan for addressing a possible puncture? I've seen winter packages of conventional winter tires and wheels for that sort of cost, but the run-flats on run-flat wheels are much more expensive. The "plain" $125 to $150 wheels are fine, but according to BMW (X3 35i Owner's Manual pp. 213) "The wheels are composed of special rims and
tires that are self-supporting, to a limited degree. The support of the sidewall allows the tire to remain drivable to a restricted degree in the event of a pressure loss."

BMW insists that you use wheels designed for run-flat tires. On the other hand, Tire Rack claims that RFT tires can be used on conventional wheels. I've inquired at Dunlop and Bridgestone, and so far, have not received any written confirmation that their run flat tires are safe to use on plain wheels.

I've been thinking along the same lines and the only solutions I've come up with are to carry a couple of cans of tire sealer and a small compressor, or to keep a summer tire, jack and tools in the car, thus loosing a lot of cargo capacity. The thought of waiting and paying for a flat-bed truck to pick up the car for a flat tire seems out of the question.

Has anyone seen non-OEM RUN-FLAT wheels for less money than the BMW ones?

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-02-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

My wife's last 3 cars are C63, X5M and M3 V8. So no, I think your wife will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Go for the 3.5, I ordered one!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
I decided on the 3.5. Done. No more thinking.

Well, wait.

I made my deal, chose my options and am all set.

HOWEVER, with an "early March" projected delivery date, I am 90% sure I will push it back to April with the 6NR debate as those functions are important to me.

Pandora and internet radio are things i use all the time and we've got two iphones in our house.

I've kept my Passat for 10 years, so what's another month or 6 weeks right?

Also, with an April pick up this winter won't kick the cars (paint job) a$$ this time around...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Many women will out-drive the guys so all this is the power too much is just funny. As for foot control I don't think there is a distinction. I gave my 68y/o mum my 335 with tune on and you know what happened? Nothing. She just lurched and eased off realizing maybe she gave it too much gas or something. I was taken by surprise, but said nothing and she in fact liked it. She was oh this car is kinda different I guess? She doesn't even know there is tune on it, doesn't know or care what a tune is. She likes my RAV4 much better than the BMW, she says it feels better to drive that one... go figure.

As for the snow, if you have All Season tires on it, you'll be just fine. I have dedicated snows on the 335 but RAV4 does better with the ALL Seasons all round. If I was going to be up in the Canadian style snow, I might consider snows for RAV4 too, but honestly not necessary where you are.
      02-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Since your $1200 package won't be "run-flats", what's your plan for addressing a possible puncture? I've seen winter packages of conventional winter tires and wheels for that sort of cost, but the run-flats on run-flat wheels are much more expensive. The "plain" $125 to $150 wheels are fine, but according to BMW (X3 35i Owner's Manual pp. 213) "The wheels are composed of special rims and
tires that are self-supporting, to a limited degree. The support of the sidewall allows the tire to remain drivable to a restricted degree in the event of a pressure loss."

BMW insists that you use wheels designed for run-flat tires. On the other hand, Tire Rack claims that RFT tires can be used on conventional wheels. I've inquired at Dunlop and Bridgestone, and so far, have not received any written confirmation that their run flat tires are safe to use on plain wheels.

I've been thinking along the same lines and the only solutions I've come up with are to carry a couple of cans of tire sealer and a small compressor, or to keep a summer tire, jack and tools in the car, thus loosing a lot of cargo capacity. The thought of waiting and paying for a flat-bed truck to pick up the car for a flat tire seems out of the question.

Has anyone seen non-OEM RUN-FLAT wheels for less money than the BMW ones?
I now have a set of Run-Flat Blizzark LM-60s on my stock ZCP wheels. (I bought the Style 313 wheels from the 335is sports and use those for summer). The last 2 winters I had Blizzark on Tire rack Nogaro wheels. You know what? They were just fine. Never had an issue even once. YMMV but thats my expirience. Beware of BMW marketing $$$ factor.
      02-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Talking tires and the 3.5

My wife drives both her 335ix and X3 (E84), she loves the preformance of the turbo, so her new X3 is a 3.5. I put Pirelli P Zero Nero Runflats on her 335 this winter for $160/each a very good tire (see consumer reports -- best all season tire) When compared to the tur***d stones from Bridgestone they are quiet wo wo.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
i mainly asked this question really knowing how my wife drives.

She has been known to put her foot down and once drove our old SRX into the garage side wall.

We will do a little practice before pulling into the garage for sure!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #16
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I now have a set of Run-Flat Blizzark LM-60s on my stock ZCP wheels. (I bought the Style 313 wheels from the 335is sports and use those for summer). The last 2 winters I had Blizzark on Tire rack Nogaro wheels. You know what? They were just fine. Never had an issue even once. YMMV but thats my expirience. Beware of BMW marketing $$$ factor.
I believe that the run-flats will work fine on standard wheels as long as they're inflated, that's not the issue. The concern seems to be what happens if the tire deflates quickly. The run-flat wheels seem to have a design that is intended to keep the sidewall from moving to the center of the rim and "uncoupling" from the wheel.

I'm still waiting to hear from a tire manufacturer. I agree that BMW's position may be be a marketing issue, but then again, what's the point of paying for run-flats if they're not going to be safe if they do deflate?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #17
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Can't imagine how more power could hurt -- don't have to use it and it's not gonna run away from you. Lift your foot and you're good. Power is a safety feature, too. Being able to accelerate out of a dangerous situation can often be the best option. To me, the "BMW effect" is the most dangerous if you're new to it. That deal where you suddenly realize your doing 85 but the car is quieter, smoother, and more stable than your last car at 45.

Over time maybe she'll end up driving like my wife!! Faster, smoother, more aggressive, more precise, and safer than anyone I've ever driven with -- and that's saying something considering the crowd involved.
I cannot tell you how much I relate to that. When we got our X5 4.4i way back in 2005, I would be doing 75 on a four lane local highway where the speed limit is 45. Speed is of no object in a BMW until you realize that your stopping distance grows exponentially as you increase your speed. We got out 535i wagon, and thank god for BMW brakes, because we got into an accident going about 60 on that same highway (too many speeding tickets did the trick to lower our speed). The best part about the BMWs is that you know you're just so protected, even if you get carried away. I was able to reduce my speed to about 20-25 before impact -- nobody hurt, hood mostly intact, sheetmetal needed replacing in very few places.

After that, we knew that a BMW was the smartest and safest choice from then on.

But for every shoe filled with lead make sure you bring along another stuffed with feathers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

juddholland, we've had very similar experiences!

My safety experience was based on handling of a 325i. Driving down a dark four lane road at about 75 large pick-up appeared in the left lane (mine) as a came around a bend. No lights, no flares, standing dead still and very close. I knew my right side was clear and managed to react as I was trained and steered quick, hard right and then immediately counter-steered to keep on the road. No braking to use all traction for turning. It was very close and a very sharp swerve. The BMW reacted perfectly with just a hint of a growling squeal as the turns pushed the limits, the car kept the proper attitude allowing me to complete the second turn, and settled back in like nothing happened. I, on the other hand, had the post-incident-adrenaline-dump and almost lost it in the car afterward!

I imagine there are others cars out there that could have handled this severe correction similarly, but I'd never owned or driven one. Anything else I'd experienced wouldn't have reacted so precisely and would likely have lost control and rolled even if I'd manage to miss the truck. 75 into the back of the truck would have been a very bad day. That situation has been a big factor in my assessment of the value of these cars and their sport suspensions for my family -- I expect similar to your thinking after your accident above. Beyond just the fun, something that actually makes us safer out there!
      03-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
is the 300 Hpower too much for my wife -and she couldn't care less what engine, options, etc.. when she drives around... or is it even dangerous?
No. More power is safer, not more dangerous.

My wife's only quibble is that she couldn't get a manual transmission on her new X3 (the old one had it). We both thought the smaller engine was just a bit under-powered.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
My wife will be the first to complain if the vehicle doesn't have enough "zip".

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0