BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
TylerE83
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 sport

07 fluid maintenance

Hello,
My name is Tyler and I’m new to this forum.
I recently graduated college and was handed down an 07 X3 sport from my brother. He's the first and only owner of this car. He’s kept the car in great shape and consistent with oil services. Car has never had any major issues.
Two things that have never been done since he bought it brand new in 2007. The transmission fluid and the coolant. He’s following the manufacture’s “lifetime” fluids claim.

Some details of the car now it has 72k miles.

Should I get the coolant and the transmission fluid changed out ASAP?
How about the transfer case and the differential fluid should get changed out too?

My previous car is a 99 Camry v6 where I changed those two fluids every 3 years.
Looking forward to your imputs.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
kq328xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM e92 328xi, Flamenco Red X3

Garage List
2008 e92 328xi  [0.00]
This reply is about a month after yours, so you may have done the maintenance by now.

If not, I would definitely do the coolant change since the pH drops over time and could lead to internal corrosion.

I do a drain/fill of the transmission, x-fer case or differential fluid every 60k miles. This is too long for some, and definitely longer than the 'old-school maintenance schedule', but acceptable to me since all fluids are high-quality synthetics.

One last one to consider is a brake fluid since it is hygroscopic and could also contribute to seal wear.

My 05 X3, by the way, now has 162,000 miles and is still a joy to drive.

2008 328xi e92/Black Sapphire Metallic/Saddle Brown/18" 220M Reps w 225/255 Falken 452's
Next: Sways and springs
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq328xi View Post
This reply is about a month after yours, so you may have done the maintenance by now.

If not, I would definitely do the coolant change since the pH drops over time and could lead to internal corrosion.

I do a drain/fill of the transmission, x-fer case or differential fluid every 60k miles. This is too long for some, and definitely longer than the 'old-school maintenance schedule', but acceptable to me since all fluids are high-quality synthetics.

One last one to consider is a brake fluid since it is hygroscopic and could also contribute to seal wear.

My 05 X3, by the way, now has 162,000 miles and is still a joy to drive.
When doing a drain and fill for the transmission fluid, do you have to use a special tool to recalibrate any components or is it just the typical drain and fill process?
Appreciate 0