BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 and X4

Got my X4 today and I have a question about the Cluster

Guys

I got my 2015 X4 3.5 M Sport today..

My Cluster has a screen thats smaller than the one in my 2015 X3.

The X4 Cluster Screen goes from the center then to the right.. The X3 screen is the whole bottom of the cluster and I expected the X4 to have at least the same Cluster..

I ordered the Nav Package in the X4 along with Premium and just about all the options you could order. Nothing said in the ordering system that I forfeited the nicer cluster.

I have 30 miles so far and Im in love but this cluster thing has me confused and thinking maybe they put the wrong cluster in the car ?

Is that possible ?

CRaig
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you order either of the drivers assistance packages?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

I seem to recall on other models that the full "Technology Package" came with the "Instrument Cluster with extended contents". Perhaps the Navi option doesn't?

I know my wife's new, 2015 X3 came with the Tech package and has the cluster with a display that controls the bottom half of both the speedo and the tach. I test drove a 2015 X4 Msport with Tech package just last week and it also had the same cluster/display?

So maybe Tech package vs stand alone Navi option is the difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

These are the differences by simply toggling the "Navigation system" option on bmwusa.com for the X4:

GIF animation 1.5 second/frame loop
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal View Post
These are the differences by simply toggling the "Navigation system" option on bmwusa.com for the X4:

GIF animation 1.5 second/frame loop
The idrive is black and smaller, is it that different from the Nav option?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
If you have Nav. Professional on both cars it should be the same screen. Please post some pics of both.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Rizz
X4 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 Black Sapphire Msport

Are you talking about the display screen or the instrument cluster?
The screen where you see navigation has a split screen option so you can display two things at once in the screen, but you probably know that from the X3. I wasn't offered a different cluster option when I built my 35i M sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Sorry I meant idrive controller is smaller and black in the non Nav idrive. Is there any difference in functionality?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
MikeRR
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
The iDrive without Sat Nav Prof. has no "touch" function.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75
Sorry I meant idrive controller is smaller and black in the non Nav idrive. Is there any difference in functionality?
The Idrive controller is bigger because it is also a touch pad. You can use it to navigate around in the maps. Or draw out letters.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
The Idrive controller is bigger because it is also a touch pad. You can use it to navigate around in the maps. Or draw out letters.
So non Nav has no touchpad?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep

Yes I think so. Non nav, no touch pad.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #13
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes I think so. Non nav, no touch pad.
So sales person was not giving me hot air, thought all new I drives had touchpad.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
So non Nav has no touchpad?
Correct... touchpad controllers are only on Nav equiped BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #15
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guys

I have the Nav option of course.. Its not the center console screen I am questioning its the Dash Cluster screen in and below the gauges speedo etc..

I see if you don't have Nav you get a different cluster but I have Nav and I don't have the cluster that is on the X4 at the dealer and also on the x4's that people on the forums have.

I have a screen but only occupies the right half of the cluster.

There is nothing in any of the documentation from BMW does it say that if you skip hud you lose the wide screen cluster.. This is a real problem as I expected the nicer cluster and they are going to need to address this.

Here is a pic of what I have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep

I think the difference is in whether or not you have the technology package. I believe it is addressed somehow in the owners manual. I know I saw it somewhere. Sorry that it was not what you expected.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:21 AM   #17
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
Guys

I have the Nav option of course.. Its not the center console screen I am questioning its the Dash Cluster screen in and below the gauges speedo etc..

I see if you don't have Nav you get a different cluster but I have Nav and I don't have the cluster that is on the X4 at the dealer and also on the x4's that people on the forums have.

I have a screen but only occupies the right half of the cluster.

There is nothing in any of the documentation from BMW does it say that if you skip hud you lose the wide screen cluster.. This is a real problem as I expected the nicer cluster and they are going to need to address this.

Here is a pic of what I have.
I have too only the right side digital like you have, even I dont have any navigation, only Driver Assistant plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the difference is in whether or not you have the technology package. I believe it is addressed somehow in the owners manual. I know I saw it somewhere. Sorry that it was not what you expected.
This is correct. You have to get the Full Tech package to get the "extended instrument cluster". Non tech just gets the standard cluster which has less viewable areas and features. BMW should really do a better job of making the cluster differences known but they dont on many models. You really have to dig to find what the tech packages includes
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw328jc View Post
This is correct. You have to get the Full Tech package to get the "extended instrument cluster". Non tech just gets the standard cluster which has less viewable areas and features. BMW should really do a better job of making the cluster differences known but they dont on many models. You really have to dig to find what the tech packages includes
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep

Theatermax, good luck on your quest. I do hope you are happy in the end.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
If you did have a very specific conversation with your CA about the difference between Tech and just Nav and your CA just "assumed" the only difference was HUD that is his bad. If you havent taken delivery yet then you can just not accept it and have them re-build the car. You will be in for the wait again but i seriously doubt they will do a retrofit on it. It seem dealers just dont swap parts like they used to do in the old days. I just looked over my build sheet on the X4 Im getting for my spouse and it doesnt even mention the extended cluster and to be honest you will not see it on just basic information sheets and its total BS..i feel they should tell the customers exactly what the difference is no matter how tiny the detail. Enthusiasts like us except those tiny details that a normal shopper would give a second thought. If you are able to re-order i would go with the full Tech as the HUD is pretty handy as is the remote services piece. I hope you can get it corrected. situation sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:

Raise HELL my friend so that while you are waiting for them to build your X4 with HUD (that's the only way to get the wider screen cluster), you can drive around the one they messed up on...and it shouldn't cost you a penny more. Good Luck! Keep us informed.

*these are not cheap vehicles to begin with

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0