BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quite annoyed with .............

Canadian X3 does not come with headlight washers. It's not even an option. Why can't they include this feature? If the X1 comes with it I don't understand why a more expensive vehicle is missing this item. This is a great tool to have during the winter months with all the road grim build up. Rant over.

Is Canada the only place where we cannot get headlight washers?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Canadian X3 does not come with headlight washers. It's not even an option. Why can't they include this feature? If the X1 comes with it I don't understand why a more expensive vehicle is missing this item. This is a great tool to have during the winter months with all the road grim build up. Rant over.

Is Canada the only place where we cannot get headlight washers?
We get headlight washers here in the UK for free if you add xenons and then we complain that we don't really need them 99% of the time and that they use too much washer fluid

We also get rear heated seats as an option. I believe you don't which is madness if you compare the climates

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
We get headlight washers here in the UK for free if you add xenons and then we complain that we don't really need them 99% of the time and that they use too much washer fluid

We also get rear heated seats as an option. I believe you don't which is madness if you compare the climates
You guys in UK get much snow? I guess it depends on where you are in UK.

The 2011 models do not have heated rears seat, even as an option. The 2012's can be ordered but you have to upgrade from leatherette to Nevada leather (which is exactly what I did) but it cost $1900 for leather + $550 for heated rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
You guys in UK get much snow? I guess it depends on where you are in UK.

The 2011 models do not have heated rears seat, even as an option. The 2012's can be ordered but you have to upgrade from leatherette to Nevada leather (which is exactly what I did) but it cost $1900 for leather + $550 for heated rear seats.
Scotland does get some snow particularly on higher ground, as do some parts of northern England but snowfall is infrequent and pretty insignificant for most of the population. Certainly not even comparable to most of Canada

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning...snow-in-the-uk

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I am glad not to have the headlight washers. My M3 had them.

I have never had or seen any headlight washers that do a decent job of cleaning the lights. I'd rather not pay for something that works poorly, at the best.
      12-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I am glad not to have the headlight washers. My M3 had them.

I have never had or seen any headlight washers that do a decent job of cleaning the lights. I'd rather not pay for something that works poorly, at the best.
Really? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good, kinda like a high pressure wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Really? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good, kinda like a high pressure wash.
Had them on my 328i. I've got similar weather to you in SK... I found them pointless to be honest.If anything they make more of a mess of your car. I already ran out of washer fluid as well. once since September on them.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

headlight washers seem useless to me, mine doesn't have them, don't miss them
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

# Not really annoyed, but could be done better - the afterthought buttons for:
Steering wheel heating, electric tail gate, electric lumbar support.
Neither of them is really integrated, but rather placed where there was a spot available. Somewhere.

# And then that the radio can't be controlled with the iDrive button alone. For chosing a radio station and regulating loudness the hand has too move way too much, while the iDrive functionality is left underutilized.

# Also not really annoyed, but rather somewhat disappointed with the quality of the plastic used in the center stack, the radio especially. It's very cheap, and it's no wonder it creaks. And these are all optional parts, meaning they scrimped on subcontractor quality control and went a little too cheap.

And of course that I have mem seats a e-mirrors, but no e-folding mirrors, because BMW chooses to bundle and hide that function with auto-dimming. But that was my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchneider View Post
# Not really annoyed, but could be done better - the afterthought buttons for:
Steering wheel heating, electric tail gate, electric lumbar support.
Neither of them is really integrated, but rather placed where there was a spot available. Somewhere.

# And then that the radio can't be controlled with the iDrive button alone. For chosing a radio station and regulating loudness the hand has too move way too much, while the iDrive functionality is left underutilized.

# Also not really annoyed, but rather somewhat disappointed with the quality of the plastic used in the center stack, the radio especially. It's very cheap, and it's no wonder it creaks. And these are all optional parts, meaning they scrimped on subcontractor quality control and went a little too cheap.

And of course that I have mem seats a e-mirrors, but no e-folding mirrors, because BMW chooses to bundle and hide that function with auto-dimming. But that was my mistake.
I agree with you on volume control. I wish you could either adjust the volume by the idrive system or have a separate button for volume by the idrive so that my hand doesn't have to move as much ( i know its on the steering wheel, but it's on the right side so either way my hand has to move)

Secondly, you mention e-mirrors... as in electric folding? My mirrors fold electronically via a button beside the left/right mirror toggle switch. Not all models have it though, or it might not be available in the AU?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
I agree with you on volume control. I wish you could either adjust the volume by the idrive system or have a separate button for volume by the idrive so that my hand doesn't have to move as much ( i know its on the steering wheel, but it's on the right side so either way my hand has to move)

Secondly, you mention e-mirrors... as in electric folding? My mirrors fold electronically via a button beside the left/right mirror toggle switch. Not all models have it though, or it might not be available in the AU?
can't you just use the buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume? seems way easier than using the i-drive to do so.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
can't you just use the buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume? seems way easier than using the i-drive to do so.
That's what I thought. It seems a lot more time spent trying to change station or adjust volume while driving. This could be a potential hazard.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
I have them on my X3 and I think they work pretty good. They salt the roads a lot in Wisconsin and a film of road grime can quickly build up on the headlights. The washers do a good job of removing it.
      12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post

Yes, electrically folding mirrors. They are "hidden" in the auto-dimming feature here in Austria, and I didn't realize that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Yes, that's possible. You roll through the stations on the sterring wheel and the +/- buttons are right next to it. But it would feel more natural to do it on the iDrive, since there are the RADIO TEL NAV buttons, and you can switch between them with just one click, but when you're in the radio menu you feel amputated and need to take the hand off. In a jet that's called HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) and if you have such a multi-controller like the iDrive you should use it wherever possible.

Btw, there is also no mute button. Or am I stupid?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
twistediron
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Yes, that's possible. You roll through the stations on the sterring wheel and the +/- buttons are right next to it. But it would feel more natural to do it on the iDrive, since there are the RADIO TEL NAV buttons, and you can switch between them with just one click, but when you're in the radio menu you feel amputated and need to take the hand off. In a jet that's called HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) and if you have such a multi-controller like the iDrive you should use it wherever possible.

push in the volume knob; its the mute (kinda like on off on old cars)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
I thought that you get headlight washers as part of the lights package (as long as you have xenons). I personally find them to be quite useless on my E90 though and agree with most everybody else here that they don't really do a good job other than make a mess of my whole front end. I usually turn off my lights to avoid using them actually. They work much better on my mom's RX330.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Precisely. I always drive with my hand on the shifter, so having a volume knob by the idrive would be much less movement than having to reach for the volume. Audi has it on their new cars, and I really appreciated that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I always drive with both hands on the steering wheel, occasionally removing my right hand, but never resting it on the shifter. I don't see why BMW should design vehicles that cater to ppl who wish to rest their hand on the shifter.

I find the steering wheel switches for radio functions to be just fine.

YMMV.
      12-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I always drive with both hands on the steering wheel, occasionally removing my right hand, but never resting it on the shifter. I don't see why BMW should design vehicles that cater to ppl who wish to rest their hand on the shifter.

I find the steering wheel switches for radio functions to be just fine.

YMMV.
You're right the whole point of safe driving is to have both hands on the steering wheel. I can see auto manufacturers discouraging people to use one hand. This is why most of the controls are located on the steering wheel hence it's called multi function steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #21
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
I thought that you get headlight washers as part of the lights package (as long as you have xenons). I personally find them to be quite useless on my E90 though and agree with most everybody else here that they don't really do a good job other than make a mess of my whole front end. I usually turn off my lights to avoid using them actually. They work much better on my mom's RX330.
I have a 28i with xenons and no headlight washer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #22
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
I have a 28i with xenons and no headlight washer.
Your's is US spec though so the headlight washers come as part of the cold weather package.
Appreciate 0