BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

Just ordered my new x3... A few questions.

It'll be a long wait for me as I need to wait until January for my car. I loved it in the test drive, reviews are great and it drives like a rocket. It's my first BMW though so the sticker price was a bit of a shock. However, going over this car versus the competition, the choice was clear to me.

A few questions for those experienced here:
1) I got all excited about the anti-glare feature on the adaptive headlights only to find out that that feature isn't enabled in North America. Then I learned about how you can use "coding" to enable that feature. Does anyone here have experience with this? Have you been successful?
2) This car will be a family ski car. We will be doing the 1.5 hour trek up and down to whistler every weekend as we are weekend warriors. I hummed and hawed about the 3 series wagon for it but the extra space and ground clearance of the x3 seemed to make more sense for my needs. Is anyone in a similar situation? Does the x3 perform as advertised?

Thanks for your help!

JP
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I've had no difficulties with my X3 in winter driving conditions as long as the road is plowed, or as long as the snow level isn't so high that I'm the plow - a few inches of unplowed snow isn't a problem, a foot might be.

While they're not required by law where I live, I'm a big fan of snow tires. I'm currently running Hakka R2s as winter tires, and I'm very happy with them. Mine will go on my X3 by mid-December, and come off in late March/early April.

I do travel in mountain areas, but I don't currently plan to travel to any areas where snow chains are required.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

If you want no-dazzle you need the LED lights. If you have the xenons, the North American vehicles are apparently missing a set of rollers needed to do the no-dazzle lights. A buddy of mine has successfully coded that option a lot of his cars. I've seen it in action, it's nice.

Another buddy has an X3. When we go to the snow, we were routinely getting stuck in our 2WD truck even with tire chains, while he zips around in his X3 with no chains, as if the roads weren't frozen. That's the major reason I went with an X4 when purchasing a new car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

djrobx,

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I got the LED package largely because of what I read about the "No dazzle" feature. Only to realize that it was not enabled in Canada. So, I should have the hardware in place. I'll definitely be making this mod...

Good feedback on the winter driving. I'm excited about taking my car out in the snow.

Thanks,

JP
Appreciate 0